carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 11-15-2021, 03:36 PM   #4041
JST

A friend is selling this on BaT. Probably no one in the market for a '64 Chrysler Imperial here, but check it out anyway because boy is it huge.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...er-imperial-4/
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 04:01 PM   #4042
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
It’s a rare car, to be sure. And this one has all the good options, which is even rarer; this spec is really a unicorn.

And yeah BaT brings the 10 people nationwide who want this car together.

But just for perspective, I paid *substantially* less than this for mine, which had most of the good options. In 2011. When it was 3 years old and had 25,000 miles on it. And it was CPO.
And there were considerably more examples available (many of them probably just coming off lease) in a condition similar to what this appears to be in? While there were never that many, I suspect a high proportion of the ones available 10 years ago were in pretty nice shape. 10 years on, I suspect there are very, very few and very, very far between cars in similar apparent condition at any mileage.

I don't disagree that $53k for one is silly and I could never pay it, but I can see how someone would. Still think it's a very unique case that's not very suggestive of anything else and I sure wouldn't read anything into it beyond there were two guys on that day willing to spend $52k for it.

Related: Saw this today when getting lunch

Can't remember the last time I saw one.

Quote:
A friend is selling this on BaT. Probably no one in the market for a '64 Chrysler Imperial here, but check it out anyway because boy is it huge.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...er-imperial-4/
A friend had one that was similar enough that I am reminded of it although I don't recall specific details about that example. Definitely a different era.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6951.jpeg
Views:	270
Size:	416.9 KB
ID:	14010  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6953.jpeg
Views:	279
Size:	264.9 KB
ID:	14011  

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 04:26 PM   #4043
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
It’s a rare car, to be sure. And this one has all the good options, which is even rarer; this spec is really a unicorn.

And yeah BaT brings the 10 people nationwide who want this car together.

But just for perspective, I paid *substantially* less than this for mine, which had most of the good options. In 2011. When it was 3 years old and had 25,000 miles on it. And it was CPO.
Meanwhile this one is oddly cheap...

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2001-bmw-m5-144/
wdc330i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 04:30 PM   #4044
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Meanwhile this one is oddly cheap...

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2001-bmw-m5-144/
Those wheels are absolutely not helping. Crazy to sell a low-mileage car like this and not source OEM wheels for it.
Old 11-15-2021, 04:38 PM   #4045
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
And there were considerably more examples available (many of them probably just coming off lease) in a condition similar to what this appears to be in? While there were never that many, I suspect a high proportion of the ones available 10 years ago were in pretty nice shape. 10 years on, I suspect there are very, very few and very, very far between cars in similar apparent condition at any mileage.

I don't disagree that $53k for one is silly and I could never pay it, but I can see how someone would. Still think it's a very unique case that's not very suggestive of anything else and I sure wouldn't read anything into it beyond there were two guys on that day willing to spend $52k for it.
These things were never plentiful; according to that listing, total production was in the triple digits for all 4 years, and only about 300 of them were turbos. This one is the nicest 2008 I've ever seen, in terms of options; I'm not sure I've ever come across one loaded like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1600veloce
A total of 663 NA market 6 speed manual E61’s produced over 4 years, 328 were LCI
But yeah, I think this is partly these transitioning from "used car" to "classic," and partly just the crazy frothy bubble of prices on all interesting used cars recently.

It was one of the most interesting cars I've ever owned, and probably the rarest thing I ever will own.
Old 11-15-2021, 05:24 PM   #4046
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
Quote:
and probably the rarest thing I ever will own.
Bubble pricing for sure.

The only semi rare car I ever owed was my 94 MR2 Turbo. Only 249 made it to the US that year with even less in 95. They did make quite of few from 90-93 though.

I came across the numbers for the manual E36 M3 convertible numbers as well just now.

Looks like my fern dove was one of 20. JEZZ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B2F91664-00DD-4288-89F3-8DD4BBDBAD27.jpeg
Views:	136
Size:	537.8 KB
ID:	14012  
Old 11-15-2021, 06:31 PM   #4047
JST

Wow that’s nuts; I didn’t realize the E36 M3 was that rare in manual/convertible spec. I would have assumed that silver over black was by far the most common color, but I guess not!
Old 11-15-2021, 06:57 PM   #4048
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Wow that’s nuts; I didn’t realize the E36 M3 was that rare in manual/convertible spec. I would have assumed that silver over black was by far the most common color, but I guess not!
So much gray upholstery. LOL.

Does make you wonder about those 13 custom paint colors. And the THREE custom upholstery jobs…
wdc330i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 07:17 PM   #4049
robg
Carmudgeon

The BaT thread for the cars we won't buy, but kinda wish we would

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post

Related: Saw this today when getting lunch

Can't remember the last time I saw one.

A friend had one that was similar enough that I am reminded of it although I don't recall specific details about that example. Definitely a different era.

Always liked those Audi 5000 wagons. Kinda weird looking but it worked. Definitely ahead of its time. Went down a rabbit hole of watching classic motorweek episodes the other night when I couldn’t sleep as watched an episode involving this model. Nostalgia is a strong drug and I could see myself bidding on one in a moment of weakness (and having 1 too many)

I’m sure part of it is that my dad always bought base model volvos with no options. Seeing cars like this driving around as a kid always got me intrigued about German cars - they seemed like they were from a different planet in comparison

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 10:23 AM   #4050
kognito
older fart than ZBB

I have no words, . . 128K miles

Yeah, one owner, but still

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...5mPqJzFy-RMqCg