carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 06-10-2008, 09:45 AM   #11
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
I'd love to see the CRX revived, but that kind of frugality isn't trendy enough to be popular right now. It seems as though if it isn't a Hybrid, it must not be environmentally friendly or fuel-efficient. Can't say I have any interest in owning a hybrid.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 09:51 AM   #12
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by armaq View Post
Just get a Legacy GT Limited.
I've had a on/off obsession with the LGT for years. I test drove them when they first came out in 2004 but went for a sweet 330Ci zhp lease. It was the better, sportier car (not same msrp but my deal was good).

Now with the cayman around, I keep thinking of it. The 07 LGT Spec.B was the runner-up last year this time, when I bought the s4 avant instead. I'm still thinking about getting one... A few issues: seats are not great, throttle response is not very linear & overall build doesn't feel as good as honda/bmw. I do think they have a better awd/suspension than the xi's.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 09:52 AM   #13
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
I just hope that someone still makes gas guzzling family sedans for Neandertals like me to buy.
Unless you make a condition of buying new, there will be a wide selection of the mid-00's guzzlers available, used and low miles in a few years.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 11:39 AM   #14
Rob
The user formerly known as rwg

Carmudgeonly Ride: Z4
I imagine the attractiveness of hybrids is going up a bit with $5/gallon gas about to hit the market. I still don't understand why intelligent people want them in their current form.

I would love to see a plug in hybrid option with a 50 mile range though - the ability to use no gas at all would make me laugh.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 11:51 AM   #15
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
But there are plenty of slow cars to choose from. May I guide you over to the four cylinder section of the aisle?
Zero to sixty in, say, 8 seconds isn't slow - IMO.

The problem with the four cylinder side of the aisle is you can't get the options and comfort packages available in the larger sedans - I just wish we had the engine options the europeans get - you could still have your "neanderthal" set-ups while "sensible" people could buy the "slow" cars

Ed
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 11:55 AM   #16
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwg View Post
I imagine the attractiveness of hybrids is going up a bit with $5/gallon gas about to hit the market. I still don't understand why intelligent people want them in their current form.

I would love to see a plug in hybrid option with a 50 mile range though - the ability to use no gas at all would make me laugh.
A two-year old lightly used Lexus RH400 is an attractive option, though.

You can get it for under 40k and it'll do up to 25 mph on electric power only. It'll return around 30 to 33mpg around town but less on the highway.

For certain people who live in an environment where that sort of urban constant stop and go driving is a reality, a vehicle like this makes sense. I think.

Ed
Old 06-10-2008, 11:59 AM   #17
Rob
The user formerly known as rwg

Carmudgeonly Ride: Z4
For me, that number doesn't make any sense at all. I would just get a MINI. Or a Honda Fit. Either would be much better imo since you don't have to worry about the battery and would still get better mileage.

Come to think of it, even the four cylinder civic is rated for something like 33/40.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 12:00 PM   #18
RMR
Crotchety

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2020 Honda Civic Hatch Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
I'd love to see the CRX revived, but that kind of frugality isn't trendy enough to be popular right now. It seems as though if it isn't a Hybrid, it must not be environmentally friendly or fuel-efficient. Can't say I have any interest in owning a hybrid.
Not sure what this is but it looks to be a CRX for the modern day hybrid lifestyle.

http://automobiles.honda.com/cr-z/

RMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 12:03 PM   #19
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwg View Post
For me, that number doesn't make any sense at all. I would just get a MINI. Or a Honda Fit. Either would be much better imo since you don't have to worry about the battery and would still get better mileage.

Come to think of it, even the four cylinder civic is rated for something like 33/40.
An RH400 is a much larger vehicle than a Fit or Mini, so I suppose if you didn't need the space or comfort you could go smaller.

Ed
Old 06-10-2008, 01:54 PM   #20
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMR View Post
Not sure what this is but it looks to be a CRX for the modern day hybrid lifestyle.

http://automobiles.honda.com/cr-z/
Looks great... if they'd ditch the hybrid drivetrain and pare the weight down to around 2,400lbs it would be a fun little car.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote