Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 10-27-2003, 05:15 PM   #21
Keith
Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masskrug
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate
Masskrug, what you should have said was that the X5 is a better snow (especially deep) vehicle.

Ground clearance + ADB-X are quite good in the white stuff.

But, then again, that wasn't an issue for TD...
I'm not really trying to point out what makes one vehicle better than the other. That's how flame wars and drama start.

I think the X5 is a great vehicle on its OWN merits, that's all. But one needs to be open minded to see them.

The clearance/4WD/ADB/HDC thing is ALSO great to powerslide around dirt roads rally style (wheeee! I'm a Finn!) exploring Oregon wine country.

WINE, did someone say Wine??????? :mrgreen:
Old 10-27-2003, 05:22 PM   #22
Masskrug
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith

Do you like Oregon Pinot Noirs?
Masskrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 05:42 PM   #23
nate
Oh, are they?

Carmudgeonly Ride: S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by pDz

look, i don't think this is about what vehicle is better than the other, either.

if you look at the history, or if you know the history, it speaks to BMWUSA's incredible stupidity that they cannot get a decent station wagon in the US. the 325iT or 325xiT are "okay"; underpowered to an extent and smallish --not necessary to say pricey. the 525iT is ridiculous. slow & expensive. the 540iT is just flat out expensive. and it does not offer something that all of its competitors offer: all wheel drive.

it's retarded that there was never a 330iT or a 530iT. to depend on the X5 to fulfill that role is just plain greedy because BMW knows that they get more per car (as it is assembled in the US) selling X5s.......but they would have broadened their fan base if they offered the 330iT or 530iT.

all i have to do is look around the roads in boston to tell you that, every single day. there are oodles and oodles of 2.8 Avants and A6 3.0's (sedan and WAGON) on the road. not to mention that 95% of the E wagons i see are 4matic.

so: to recap, if you assess the market like TD or i would, BMW's offerings are paltry. so he got a steal of a wagon that has an interior likely nicer than most BMW interiors (except for the carpeting, i hate saab interior carpeting) and more HP than any BMW configuration except for the V8 powered 540iT or X5 4.4 --with more useful cargo space.

it's a no brainer.

it's not that the X5 here isn't as good, it's just flat out the wrong "answer" for a lot of people and BMW was being lazy and greedy about filling market niches.
They obviously don't think that it will make money.

Why do you think that they sould "fill market niches" if the economics just are not there?
nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 05:45 PM   #24
Keith
Realist

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith

Do you like Oregon Pinot Noirs?
I've never tried it, but Doug brought something down from Washington, what was that you brought down Doug?

Since the Wifey works at Wente, she's got me hooked on the their Syrah, Duetto, Merlot and the Cabernet Reserve.
You know it's funny, those are all reds and I NEVER used to drink reds.
This must be what happens when you get "older"!
Old 10-27-2003, 08:26 PM   #25
JST

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pDz

look, i don't think this is about what vehicle is better than the other, either.

if you look at the history, or if you know the history, it speaks to BMWUSA's incredible stupidity that they cannot get a decent station wagon in the US. the 325iT or 325xiT are "okay"; underpowered to an extent and smallish --not necessary to say pricey. the 525iT is ridiculous. slow & expensive. the 540iT is just flat out expensive. and it does not offer something that all of its competitors offer: all wheel drive.

it's retarded that there was never a 330iT or a 530iT. to depend on the X5 to fulfill that role is just plain greedy because BMW knows that they get more per car (as it is assembled in the US) selling X5s.......but they would have broadened their fan base if they offered the 330iT or 530iT.

all i have to do is look around the roads in boston to tell you that, every single day. there are oodles and oodles of 2.8 Avants and A6 3.0's (sedan and WAGON) on the road. not to mention that 95% of the E wagons i see are 4matic.

so: to recap, if you assess the market like TD or i would, BMW's offerings are paltry. so he got a steal of a wagon that has an interior likely nicer than most BMW interiors (except for the carpeting, i hate saab interior carpeting) and more HP than any BMW configuration except for the V8 powered 540iT or X5 4.4 --with more useful cargo space.

it's a no brainer.

it's not that the X5 here isn't as good, it's just flat out the wrong "answer" for a lot of people and BMW was being lazy and greedy about filling market niches.

Why do you think that they sould "fill market niches" if the economics just are not there?
I think pDz's point is that they make *more* money by selling the X5 to consumers who would otherwise consider a 330iT or a 530iT. Obviously, BMW isn't in the business as a charity, so that's what they have to do. It doesn't make it any less frustrating to know that there is a car that would perfectly fit your needs that BMW won't sell you because they'd rather you buy an X5.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 09:44 AM   #26
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pDz

it's a no brainer.

my sole rebuttal, college boy, is that they offer the 330iT in the UK but not here.

so it isn't as though they don't offer the car. it exists, and it isn't rare a la CSL.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 10:28 AM   #27
dan
redefined

Quote:
Originally Posted by pDz

so it isn't as though they don't offer the car. it exists, and it isn't rare a la CSL.

how many 330iT's have been produced and sold?
Old 10-28-2003, 10:39 AM   #28
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonoboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by pDz

that's a great question. someone like a.baumann would know.

hard to translate what sells on the continent to what will sell in the us, especially with the added factor that the continent also has that great 3.0d engine.

i guess my attitude, if i were a BMW employee is, that people growing in affluence but need some element of practicality are the target for 3 series wagons, but for some reason, the X5 or 5 series wagon is not the cup of tea. even if margins are lower (german built car), it's a potential conquest transaction or buyer locked into the marque.

get 'em young. get 'em early.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 10:49 AM   #29
dan
redefined

Quote:
Originally Posted by pDz
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonoboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by pDz

that's a great question. someone like a.baumann would know.

hard to translate what sells on the continent to what will sell in the us, especially with the added factor that the continent also has that great 3.0d engine.
I remember Alex saying that the X5 has been one of the hottest/most wanted vehicles over there. Long waitlists.

Would be interesting to see the 330iT sales #s, and how they were affected by X5 sales.
Old 10-28-2003, 10:57 AM   #30
Roadstergal
Butting in.

Re: Took the Saab on a roadtrip...

Quote:
I am just trying to dispel the close-mindedness that can go on on enthusiast boards.