carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 09-06-2006, 04:39 AM   #1
armaq
Jaded

Carmudgeonly Ride: 1984 Schwinn Madison
Any experience with Saab 9-3 Sport Sedan?

My M3 drove so well in the past couple of days that I decided to call the search for an E39 530i off. Now I think I'm going with the 2-car route: keep the M3 and add a DD. It has to be a sedan under $20k and relatively new with warranty. Also since I will have 2 cars, I will actually drive this one to the snowy regions in the winter instead of renting, so AWD or FWD is ideal. Call me a poser but I want something that's a bit different, something with more "attitude" than a Camry or Accord or Passat.

Currently I'm looking at 03-04 Saab 9-3 Aeros. I quite like the exterior design and they can be had for quite cheap with pretty low mileage. Now I know the horror stories about Saabs, but come to think of it I've never heard anything too negative about the new 9-3 (nothing too good either). It seems to be an average car based on an average platform (GM Epsilon).

Has anyone driven one of these? How's the fit and finish, cabin quality, etc? Will I have fun in it? I know the local Saab service depts are all very friendly and give nice loaners, so I wouldn't mind going there once in a while (like you would with a BMW, but not Ford-frequent).

TIA!
armaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 08:09 AM   #2
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
the SAAB 9-3 interiors are decent. the first year is the worst, as is always the case for SAAB.

the "aero" that you're talking about is the 2.0T 210hp engine with a 5speed. this year they added the 6speed to both the standard 210hp engine as well as having it already on the 258hp "aero" v6t.

personally, i was completely underwhelmed by the performance of the 2.0T engine as well as the gearing of the 5 speed. it sounds agricultural the whole time and is bloody awful from a standstill. not even really enough power to have torque steer. is that good or bad?

if you lower your expectations a lot, it's a fine commutermobile.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 10:08 AM   #3
iateyourcheese
Nerd

Carmudgeonly Ride: '87 M3, Subie FXT, Mazda CX-9
Have you considered the Saabaru? Nicer looking that the normal Impreza but should be reliable and it's AWD. Too small, perhaps.
iateyourcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 10:10 AM   #4
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by iateyourcheese View Post
Have you considered the Saabaru? Nicer looking that the normal Impreza but should be reliable and it's AWD. Too small, perhaps.
It is an awesome car. Particularly the Linear in my opinion, as it is much cheaper to run than the Aero.

We'll be getting rid of ours wthin the year, and perhaps much sooner to replace it with a larger wagon.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 02:57 PM   #5
armaq
Jaded

Carmudgeonly Ride: 1984 Schwinn Madison
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
the SAAB 9-3 interiors are decent. the first year is the worst, as is always the case for SAAB.

the "aero" that you're talking about is the 2.0T 210hp engine with a 5speed. this year they added the 6speed to both the standard 210hp engine as well as having it already on the 258hp "aero" v6t.

personally, i was completely underwhelmed by the performance of the 2.0T engine as well as the gearing of the 5 speed. it sounds agricultural the whole time and is bloody awful from a standstill. not even really enough power to have torque steer. is that good or bad?

if you lower your expectations a lot, it's a fine commutermobile.
The car I'm looking at right now is a 03 Vector, which has a 210hp 2.0t and 6spd manual. 30k miles, all options, one Saab fanatic owner, $17k. I'm trying to get him to CPO the car for an extra grand.

I did consider the Saabaru, which I like. But I really need a sedan with less dramatic styling. The Saabaru with the scoop and hatchback is a bit boy racer. The new Legacy however, is another story. It'd be nice if I can get a Legacy GT for under $20k.
armaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 03:39 PM   #6
TD
Founder emeritus

When you go to leave the house in the morning and you look out and see a Saab 9-3 sitting there and you see your M3 sitting there, can you honestly say that you will actually get in the Saab? Okay, maybe once every week or two, just out of guilt for having bought the thing in the first place.

As one who has gone through this exercise, it won't work.

With the Legacy, maybe. But the DD has to be fun (very fun) for this idea to have any chance of working.

The 9-3 is not fun. At all.

Last edited by TD; 09-07-2006 at 03:45 PM.
TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 03:41 PM   #7
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by armaq View Post
I did consider the Saabaru, which I like. But I really need a sedan with less dramatic styling. The Saabaru with the scoop and hatchback is a bit boy racer. The new Legacy however, is another story. It'd be nice if I can get a Legacy GT for under $20k.
This is what you should do. The LGT will be a great daily.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote