carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 03-04-2020, 02:42 PM   #31
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3LOU5 View Post
A top-of-the-line Honda Accord or Mazda6 would be my vote.
From the world Camrys/Accords/6's/etc, the Mazda 6 is SO much more attractive it's not even funny. And I've never driven a Mazda that for what it was, was not a pretty fun car to drive.
FC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 03:07 PM   #32
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
I was thinking about this thread this morning when I was driving into work. I think in today's day and age it is pretty easy to hit your parameters with any number of cars. Just thinking through three of the four I own now:

My 2003 E46 325xit is ~17 yrs old. I bought it 6 yrs ago for about $5500, it is worth probably 2500 now. It has cost us probably $4k in maintenance/upkeep (including snow tires) since we've owned it and it shows no signs of crapping out anytime soon. Insurance is cheap, and at its value, you only need comprehensive.

My 2011 E88 135i is turning turned 10 in November of 2019. I've personally owned it for 5+ years, during that time I needed an OFHG, 2 water pumps and a battery. Other than that is has been reliable through 108k miles. If it was $50k new and worth $15k now It would be pushing your ownership cost, but not by a ton and for my needs has been a great daily driver.

We bought our 2013 X5 four years ago for $23500. We've put 90k miles on it ourself since then (so much higher than average use case) and have only had a VCG to replace. Cost of ownership of that has been very low and projects to remain that way through its' 10 yr lifecycle.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 05:48 PM   #33
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
I was thinking about this thread this morning when I was driving into work. I think in today's day and age it is pretty easy to hit your parameters with any number of cars. Just thinking through three of the four I own now:

My 2003 E46 325xit is ~17 yrs old. I bought it 6 yrs ago for about $5500, it is worth probably 2500 now. It has cost us probably $4k in maintenance/upkeep (including snow tires) since we've owned it and it shows no signs of crapping out anytime soon. Insurance is cheap, and at its value, you only need comprehensive.

My 2011 E88 135i is turning turned 10 in November of 2019. I've personally owned it for 5+ years, during that time I needed an OFHG, 2 water pumps and a battery. Other than that is has been reliable through 108k miles. If it was $50k new and worth $15k now It would be pushing your ownership cost, but not by a ton and for my needs has been a great daily driver.

We bought our 2013 X5 four years ago for $23500. We've put 90k miles on it ourself since then (so much higher than average use case) and have only had a VCG to replace. Cost of ownership of that has been very low and projects to remain that way through its' 10 yr lifecycle.
Thanks! the 2013 x5 fits closest to what I had in mind (a practical comfortbale vehicle w/ 4 doors and some modern amenities), so that's great. 23500 sounds cheap for a 3 year old (at the time) x5. What was the mileage when you bought it?

You also reminded me that I actually owned an e46 325 from new for 10 years. Average ownership cost probably worked out around $300/month. Thing is, it likely would've been possible to lease a 3 series in 2001 for around 300/month (which started me down the path of leasing future bmws). In fact, I remember running scenarios in 2003 where it would have been possible to lease a 5 series (with european delivery) in the 200s. I did like that car but wouldnt want to go back to it as a daily driver. (Yes, some inflation adjustments would need to be done on these numbers).

That doug demuro video has me researching cheap panameras. Never was a huge fan of the looks but under 30 they start sounding interesting. Problem is I've quickly "slippery sloped" into more expensive versions like the GTS. They are also very color/wheel sensitive. I'd probably trust Porsche durability over the other german brands. I have no need for a car right now; this just started as a kind of "what if".

Last edited by robg; 03-04-2020 at 06:02 PM.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 05:50 PM   #34
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
I test drove a GX (we are talking the baby landcruiser, right?) during my range rover search. It was not as good as the RR's (assuming that applies to the LR4) and not even the JGC. It was better than the landcruiser (the biggest, softest supertanker of them all).
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 06:49 PM   #35
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
I test drove a GX (we are talking the baby landcruiser, right?) during my range rover search. It was not as good as the RR's (assuming that applies to the LR4) and not even the JGC. It was better than the landcruiser (the biggest, softest supertanker of them all).
Yes, that's the one. I did not even get a round to test driving it. I hear the Land Cruiser is the cat's pajama's, though. I'm surprised you did not like it.
FC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 07:04 PM   #36
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
Yes, that's the one. I did not even get a round to test driving it. I hear the Land Cruiser is the cat's pajama's, though. I'm surprised you did not like it.
Just checked out the GX out of curiousity. A couple of observations:
-Starts at 54k. Seems like a good deal for all you get plus comes with a v8. Granted that v8 is only 300 hp and in a heavy vehicle. Appears to be similar in many ways to an LR3 (which i guess would've been the competition when this thing was new 10 years ago!) I'm sure it's a vehicle that you can keep for 20+ years though. At that price it could be badged as a Toyota 4Runner and no one would blink.
BUT What is Lexus doing with their lineup?! It's crazy how old the IS, GS, and GX are at this point. I dont think any other luxury brand keeps models around so long past their prime date. And they dont even bother attempting to atleast standardize stuff like their infotainment. Seems like something you'd see from a small struggling company and not what you'd expect from a juggernaut like Toyota.

Overall it seems like the Japanese manufacturers have lost their appetite to really compete in the luxury segment leaving Genesis as the only real challenger to the europeans. Lincoln seems to be doing a surprisingly good job as well.
Old 03-04-2020, 07:39 PM   #37
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Thanks! the 2013 x5 fits closest to what I had in mind (a practical comfortbale vehicle w/ 4 doors and some modern amenities), so that's great. 23500 sounds cheap for a 3 year old (at the time) x5. What was the mileage when you bought it?

You also reminded me that I actually owned an e46 325 from new for 10 years. Average ownership cost probably worked out around $300/month. Thing is, it likely would've been possible to lease a 3 series in 2001 for around 300/month (which started me down the path of leasing future bmws). In fact, I remember running scenarios in 2003 where it would have been possible to lease a 5 series (with european delivery) in the 200s. I did like that car but wouldnt want to go back to it as a daily driver. (Yes, some inflation adjustments would need to be done on these numbers).

That doug demuro video has me researching cheap panameras. Never was a huge fan of the looks but under 30 they start sounding interesting. Problem is I've quickly "slippery sloped" into more expensive versions like the GTS. They are also very color/wheel sensitive. I'd probably trust Porsche durability over the other german brands. I have no need for a car right now; this just started as a kind of "what if".
Here is the whole thread on my purchase saga. It had between 30 and 45k as I recall.

http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showth...highlight=2013
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 07:58 PM   #38
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
BUT What is Lexus doing with their lineup?! It's crazy how old the IS, GS, and GX are at this point. I dont think any other luxury brand keeps models around so long past their prime date. And they dont even bother attempting to atleast standardize stuff like their infotainment. Seems like something you'd see from a small struggling company and not what you'd expect from a juggernaut like Toyota.l
You make a really good point ... what is with Lexus never changing their vehicles ... I remember looking at the GX what I think was in 2014 (3 Suv’s ago) and if i’m right it is the same exact car ... my friend has one and it is really outdated ... the GS I test drove in 2017 and back then it was outdated ... that was 2 cars ago ...
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 12:58 PM   #39
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
You make a really good point ... what is with Lexus never changing their vehicles ... I remember looking at the GX what I think was in 2014 (3 Suv’s ago) and if i’m right it is the same exact car ... my friend has one and it is really outdated ... the GS I test drove in 2017 and back then it was outdated ... that was 2 cars ago ...
Apparently, the current GX was last redesigned in 2010! It does seem that Toyota takes a very conservative approach with their trucks so as to maximize durability/reliability, so I'm sure that's part of it, but for a luxury brand I think they have to do better. If not, just make the equivalent of a GX as a higher trim model of the 4runner.
Old 03-05-2020, 01:01 PM   #40
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
Here is the whole thread on my purchase saga. It had between 30 and 45k as I recall.

http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showth...highlight=2013
Thanks! I vaguely recall this thread now, but it was fun reading through it again (complete with many posts from TD!). That gen X5 is still my favorite from in terms of looks. There seems to be a consensus that they are problematic but glad to hear that yours has been pretty bulletproof. I think i'd be very content daily driving one of those.