carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 04-26-2020, 06:07 PM   #81
kognito
older fart than ZBB

And found his website https://www.meccanicshop.com/
Old 04-27-2020, 01:17 PM   #82
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by kognito View Post
And found his website https://www.meccanicshop.com/
Maybe Nick has raced against them.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 02:44 PM   #83
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
Quote:
Originally Posted by kognito View Post
If you "click" on the auction seller 1600veloce you will see all his past auctions. I'm guessing this person collects interesting rides at auction and is successfully flipping them via BAT. Just a guess, but I think many new car dealers take in trades, put them on their lot for a few weeks and if they don't sell send them off to "regular" auction. oops, should have just linked to the seller https://bringatrailer.com/member/1600veloce/

Maybe Sarafil can confirm or explain why I am wrong, but this 1600 dude has movd some interesting metal

Yea, looks like a used car dealer targeting Euro cars.

Most dealers, in particular the big groups, usually have a policy where they only keep a used car on the lot for 60 days +/- and if it doesn’t sell during that time they’ll send it to auction when the clock runs down. Idea being it’s not fine wine and won’t get better with age, so take your best shot upfront and if you can’t move it in a reasonable time period, cut your losses and move on.

This looks like a really cool car but my guess is the BMW dealer paid too much for it, as a result tried to sell it for too high of a price, and either refused to cut price or did so too late to sell it to a retail buyer. Probably lost a good amount of $$.
Old 04-30-2020, 08:55 AM   #84
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Auction is up to $33k. Last dealer ask was around $47k, as I recall. One more day to go.

I think the dealer price included a year of BMW Certified Warranty, in addition to the remainder of the factory warranty.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 11:01 AM   #85
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Auction is up to $33k. Last dealer ask was around $47k, as I recall. One more day to go.

I think the dealer price included a year of BMW Certified Warranty, in addition to the remainder of the factory warranty.
at 33k it's pretty tempting. I think the certified warranty transfers with the car? Not sure if that's the case in this instance though.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 11:23 AM   #86
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
at 33k it's pretty tempting. I think the certified warranty transfers with the car? Not sure if that's the case in this instance though.
My rule of thumb is that prices on BaT auctions jump about 10K in the final 24 hours. That's obviously very, very rough and changes depending on the amounts involved, but I've found that it generally works as a way to understand where an auction is 24 hours before the close.

I think the final bid on this car will be in the 40s, but no idea if it will be RNM.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 11:59 AM   #87
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
Quote:

If a dealer doesn’t retail the car, the CPO is never activated - it’s basically cancelled when they wholesale it.

Program has changed in past few years and I’m not sure anymore, but think it can be transferred once it’s active if sold via private party sales. If it goes through a dealer then the warranty won’t transfer.
Old 04-30-2020, 12:41 PM   #88
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
My rule of thumb is that prices on BaT auctions jump about 10K in the final 24 hours. That's obviously very, very rough and changes depending on the amounts involved, but I've found that it generally works as a way to understand where an auction is 24 hours before the close.

I think the final bid on this car will be in the 40s, but no idea if it will be RNM.
Makes sense. I guess that's typical of most online auctions where all the action happens in the final stretch. 40k actually would be a really strong residual value, even for this car. That'd be about 60% of the original MSRP 3 years later. That's similar to the subsidized lease residuals from BMWFS on their mainstream sedans and SUVs.. I guess wagons, even fully loaded ones like this, hold their value better in the used market since they are relatively rare.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 12:51 PM   #89
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Quote:
I guess wagons, even fully loaded ones like this, hold their value better in the used market since they are relatively rare.
And niche sites like BAT are rife with enthusiasts, for whom said wagons seem to be particularly sought after unicorns.
Old 04-30-2020, 03:45 PM   #90
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post

Right. Then you have to add your 5% to BaT, and pay tax and title in your home state. So, likely climbing back up toward $50k again. Not to mention shipping, if you go that route--or whatever transportation costs to go pick the thing up (which is all fraught now).
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote