carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 07-25-2016, 10:49 AM   #1
robg
Carmudgeon

Rant - CarPlay sucks

I've tried it in a few GM rental cars and was very underwhelmed.

Had CarPlay in a rental car last week. Pretty underwhelming. I ended up just using my phone without it. A few annoyances:

-the phone and messages apps basically just summon Siri. You can't even see a list of recent calls as you can with most native car interfaces. If you want to use Siri you can just hold down the voice recognition button on the steering wheel instead in most current models (even without CarPlay)

-Pandora integration is way worse than the regular BMW apps integration. Doesn't even let you see all your channels or create a new one. Thumbs up/down is clunkier to access as well.

-Apple maps navigation (only choice when using carplay) is worse than the built in BMW nav and way worse than google maps. You can't even get a detailed route list (unless you access it on the phone directky). Traffic isn't shown on the map either.

Overall I definitely would not pay extra to have CarPlay integration and even if the car came with it id probably never use it.

Basically, it seems like Apple was so worried about creating additional driver distractions that they dumbed it down to the point that's it's actually more distracting (since you end up picking up your phone in frustration)

Not sure how Android auto is in comparison although having google maps access is a big win.

It might be an nice to have feature on a basic economy car that otherwise wouldn't have built in nav, etc. But compared to some of the better built in interfaces it sucks.

Also, my experience reminded me of what a bad idea touch screens in cars are. I get that they are easier to figure out initially compared to controllers but they are way more distracting to use. I guess most people assume that since touch screens work well for phones they're a great idea in cars. And most journalists value interfaces that are quick to figure out since they have limited time in the car hopefully BMW, Audi and Mazda will stick with their superior controllers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 12:21 PM   #2
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
interesting, thanks for the review.

Yes I would want android auto just for google maps navigation
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 12:48 PM   #3
ff

We have some Android Auto thing in our Honda, and my experience has been similar. It's basically like a plastic Android tablet [nicely] mounted into the dash, and it's f-cking awful. Integration with my phone is poor -- you can't even play a song without taking the phone out of your pocket and manually starting it. The unit is also very slow to react to inputs like volume adjusts and channel changes. It can be very frustrating.

If it was reasonable to do so, I'd happily upgrade it to an old fashioned stereo with mechanical knobs and buttons.
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 01:08 PM   #4
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff View Post
We have some Android Auto thing in our Honda, and my experience has been similar. It's basically like a plastic Android tablet [nicely] mounted into the dash, and it's f-cking awful. Integration with my phone is poor -- you can't even play a song without taking the phone out of your pocket and manually starting it. The unit is also very slow to react to inputs like volume adjusts and channel changes. It can be very frustrating.

If it was reasonable to do so, I'd happily upgrade it to an old fashioned stereo with mechanical knobs and buttons.

Interesting - so the cars built in interface runs android auto? Or only when you plug in your phone?
Old 07-25-2016, 02:02 PM   #5
ff

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Interesting - so the cars built in interface runs android auto? Or only when you plug in your phone?
Sorry, my description was deceiving. It runs Android, but it's not Android Auto.
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 02:25 PM   #6
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff View Post
Sorry, my description was deceiving. It runs Android, but it's not Android Auto.

I see. I think Hyundai also uses embedded android. Seems like the systems based on QNX tend to be the best in terms of reliability and responsiveness.