carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 05-15-2020, 11:43 AM   #831
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Perhaps unsurprisingly, when I did a google search for "bass player porsche fit gear," it returned only one relevant result, a rennlist thread from 11 years ago.
Old 05-15-2020, 12:43 PM   #832
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Agree with JST on the no accident car...

As an aside, Josh, have you found a bike rack that works well on your 135?
While I haven't been asked, I've put racks on e46, e90, e39 and f30's. My go to rack is the OEM base support. Then I use some adapting hardware to connect to my Thule echelon. More than ten years on, still going strong. I did at some point tried a bmw bike carrier, but it didn't clamp on the fork and I prefer taking the front wheel off and locking down the fork. Slightly depends on what kind of bike... Newer MTB's, 29ers etc may have issues with fork mount as they have gone to through-axles.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 12:55 PM   #833
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
I'm not actively searching but if someone comes across a nice 997.2 (S or non-S), 991.1 (likely S) and 991.2 (non S), I'd be interested to see the link. Musts are coupe and MT. PASM is a strong plus. Somewhat flexible on colors, but prefer blues and silvers and grays and not so much black or red. Most options are welcome though that gets complicated with porkers.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 01:20 PM   #834
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Agree with JST on the no accident car...

As an aside, Josh, have you found a bike rack that works well on your 135?
My 1er is a vert, so the only option is a trunk mount (which I'm not a big fan of). I'm also not a big fan of biking, so I haven't had any motivation to find a solution.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 02:33 PM   #835
robg
Carmudgeon

The combination of being stuck at home, walking by a nice 991 that's parked near me on the street and this thread have conspired to send me down the rabbit hole of 911s. It also dawned on me that my kid (now 6) is at the sweet spot age for 911 ownership where he could actually fit in the back for a few years.

I've driven almost every 911 generation except the 991.2 and 992, though not recently. All things considered, I prefer the 991+. I'd want a coupe and would be totally happy with a base RWD carrera. I'd want my wife to be able to drive it so thinking PDK. Yeah, I realize I"m talking about a "dentist spec" car, but i'm ok with that.

Given that, what do you guys suggest is the best year/model to minimize ownership costs (depreciation and maintenance)? My thought would be to get a higher CPO mileage 991.2, so as to have 2 years of warranty to sort through any issues while still getting a decent price (<70k)?

Though I don't love silver or black wheels and sport exhaust would be nice, something like this perhaps:
https://www.autonation.com/cars/WP0A...rsche-911-2017

As far as ownership costs, my assumptions are:
-a base carrera bottoms out at around 40k when its 10 years old.
-average $2k a year for maintenance (tires, brake flush, oil changes, brakes, inspections, etc).

Is that too optimistic?
robg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 03:22 PM   #836
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
The combination of being stuck at home, walking by a nice 991 that's parked near me on the street and this thread have conspired to send me down the rabbit hole of 911s. It also dawned on me that my kid (now 6) is at the sweet spot age for 911 ownership where he could actually fit in the back for a few years.

I've driven almost every 911 generation except the 991.2 and 992, though not recently. All things considered, I prefer the 991+. I'd want a coupe and would be totally happy with a base RWD carrera. I'd want my wife to be able to drive it so thinking PDK. Yeah, I realize I"m talking about a "dentist spec" car, but i'm ok with that.

Given that, what do you guys suggest is the best year/model to minimize ownership costs (depreciation and maintenance)? My thought would be to get a higher CPO mileage 991.2, so as to have 2 years of warranty to sort through any issues while still getting a decent price (<70k)?

Though I don't love silver or black wheels and sport exhaust would be nice, something like this perhaps:
https://www.autonation.com/cars/WP0A...rsche-911-2017

As far as ownership costs, my assumptions are:
-a base carrera bottoms out at around 40k when its 10 years old.
-average $2k a year for maintenance (tires, brake flush, oil changes, brakes, inspections, etc).

Is that too optimistic?
I wouldn't limit yourself to CPO. The CPO option seems to be more expensive when a car is 'pre-certified'. Fidelity warranties are relatively inexpensive if you want the cost assurance of a warranted car and allow you to use indy shops if you so desire. Lots of threads on pricing and where to get them on Rennlist. I can send you contact info to quote them on specific cars if you want. If you decide on a .2 you can find late build 2017s with remaining new car warranty to get any early purchase issues addressed and add the CPO or fidelity warranty before the original one expires even more cheaply.

There is a pretty big difference in .1 vs .2 991s, probably more than any mid cycle refresh on any other Porsche. First big decision is if you want a turbo engine or an N/A engine, they have very distinct personalities. I was 100% on the turbo side because I wanted some more low end torque and don't like to have to wring my cars out to have fun. Most 911 purists would say I'm wrong and the linearity of the N/A engine and the shriek at high revs make it much more appealing.

The .2 interiors are 'better' with the updated PCM, a much nice steering, and a few other usability improvements. .2 cars also have PASM standard, so that is one less nice option to have to search for. If you step up to an S more sport options are available like rear wheel steer, PDCC, SPASM (20mm lower), etc.

From an options standpoint, Sport Chrono is much more impactful with PDK, so will probably want that. Sport Exhaust is nice, but to me not as 'required' as a lot of rennlisters made it out to be. I wanted Premium Package Plus for the headlights (much nicer than stock), heated and cooled seats and keyless entry.
If you have any specific questions about options post them up and we can comment.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3

Last edited by Josh (PA); 05-20-2020 at 03:34 PM.
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 03:41 PM   #837
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
My 1er is a vert, so the only option is a trunk mount (which I'm not a big fan of). I'm also not a big fan of biking, so I haven't had any motivation to find a solution.
I had a Saris that I used on my M3C--not easy on the paint for sure.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 04:07 PM   #838
Alan
Carmudgeon

I think if going base definitely go for the 991.2, the base from what I have read is faster than the 991.1S and Josh is completely right, no doubt the updated PCM gives a more updated feel to the interior and I really like the way they updated the exterior, it just makes the car look newer.

I drove a 991.2 S that Josh was looking at (not the one he purchased) and it is an incredible car ... I really liked it a lot !! I found the clutch on the lighter side though that is not a bad thing, just a note of some difference and the steering is nicely improved.

I just happen to drive my 991.1S today and I still will say winding the car out is intoxicating ... I had my son in the car because we had to pick up his 340 from service and he just had a huge grin on his face listening to the engine wind out and damn it really is fast

His words ... Dad the the Cayman is nice but this car is an animal (He drives the Cayman but hasn't driven the 991 in at least a year) so he does know both cars.

Just also adding I do have the Fidelity warranty on mine and had the same one on the R8, I see no difference over the factory warranty on either car though I have had VERY little issues with the 911 ... mine was the first batch of manuals Porsche offered at the introduction of the 991 and the car has been extremely reliable.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 05:17 PM   #839
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I think if going base definitely go for the 991.2, the base from what I have read is faster than the 991.1S and Josh is completely right, no doubt the updated PCM gives a more updated feel to the interior and I really like the way they updated the exterior, it just makes the car look newer.

I drove a 991.2 S that Josh was looking at (not the one he purchased) and it is an incredible car ... I really liked it a lot !! I found the clutch on the lighter side though that is not a bad thing, just a note of some difference and the steering is nicely improved.

I just happen to drive my 991.1S today and I still will say winding the car out is intoxicating ... I had my son in the car because we had to pick up his 340 from service and he just had a huge grin on his face listening to the engine wind out and damn it really is fast

His words ... Dad the the Cayman is nice but this car is an animal (He drives the Cayman but hasn't driven the 991 in at least a year) so he does know both cars.

Just also adding I do have the Fidelity warranty on mine and had the same one on the R8, I see no difference over the factory warranty on either car though I have had VERY little issues with the 911 ... mine was the first batch of manuals Porsche offered at the introduction of the 991 and the car has been extremely reliable.
Yeah, Im definitely thinking along the lines of a base 991.2. Now that i've grown accustomed to the low end torque that turbos provide, I think I'll want that. Plus the other upgrades (better PCM, etc). I also like all the little aesthetic improvements on the .2- they add up. And I actually find it more attractive than the 992.
Old 05-20-2020, 05:27 PM   #840
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
I wouldn't limit yourself to CPO. The CPO option seems to be more expensive when a car is 'pre-certified'. Fidelity warranties are relatively inexpensive if you want the cost assurance of a warranted car and allow you to use indy shops if you so desire. Lots of threads on pricing and where to get them on Rennlist. I can send you contact info to quote them on specific cars if you want. If you decide on a .2 you can find late build 2017s with remaining new car warranty to get any early purchase issues addressed and add the CPO or fidelity warranty before the original one expires even more cheaply.

There is a pretty big difference in .1 vs .2 991s, probably more than any mid cycle refresh on any other Porsche. First big decision is if you want a turbo engine or an N/A engine, they have very distinct personalities. I was 100% on the turbo side because I wanted some more low end torque and don't like to have to wring my cars out to have fun. Most 911 purists would say I'm wrong and the linearity of the N/A engine and the shriek at high revs make it much more appealing.

The .2 interiors are 'better' with the updated PCM, a much nice steering, and a few other usability improvements. .2 cars also have PASM standard, so that is one less nice option to have to search for. If you step up to an S more sport options are available like rear wheel steer, PDCC, SPASM (20mm lower), etc.

From an options standpoint, Sport Chrono is much more impactful with PDK, so will probably want that. Sport Exhaust is nice, but to me not as 'required' as a lot of rennlisters made it out to be. I wanted Premium Package Plus for the headlights (much nicer than stock), heated and cooled seats and keyless entry.
If you have any specific questions about options post them up and we can comment.
Yeah i definitely prefer the 991.2- the updated PCM and aesthetic improvements alone do it for me. Plus I'm used to turbo engines now. Good call on the Fidelity warranty- hadn't considered that angle. I'd like for this car to be as much of a daily driver as possible, and I think the low end torque of the turbo motor will help in that respect too.

I think heated seats were standard right? I would like keyless entry- forgot that's not standard. Also would like adaptive cruise control- although that's pretty hard to find. Since I'll likely be targeting base carreras, I'm guessing it will be hard to find more loaded versions. Most of what I've seen so far (in my admittedly brief searches) was that they tend to have 5-10k of options at most. I'm very much in the exploratory phase; doubt I'd actually purchase anything for another 5-6 months.