carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 02-24-2018, 04:23 PM   #51
blee
Doctor Mudgeon

I've "been" to Germany a half dozen times now, but every single time I've either spent the whole time in an airport, or in a barracks. One of these days I intend to take a no-shit trip, but I doubt it'll include delivery of an M3 like yours. Enjoy it!
blee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 06:58 PM   #52
jpgurl
Carmudgeon

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 MACH-E; '74 Austin Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
Day 2) Stay in Salzburg
Day 3) PM Salzburg to Hallstatt
Day 4) Stay in Hallstatt
We're headed to these same stops in June! But we'll be traveling by train, not a new M3. Have Fun!
jpgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 09:27 PM   #53
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMike View Post
Congratulations on the early birthday gift. I likey likey both the specs and trip agenda. Anything with "orange" in the name is a good thing, although SO is more reddish than orange most times, and reminds me of IR, and that certainly doesn't reek. Awwww.....nice......to have another orange titled car on the board.

The only comment about the trip details is I would spend more time in the Salzburg and Berchtesgaden area. It's great you have the Eagles Nest on the list, but there's the salt mines, Konigsee and great walking trails to help drink in the beautiful Alpine air and scenery. The kids will be tired due to the jet lag, and a day or two to help everyone unwind and decompress will set up the rest of the trip to be better enjoyed, imo.

But even as its planned, it's going to be a great gig for everyone.

Oh, and thanks for not getting a Tesla. You can get one of those later, once you're an over 40 geezer..........lol.

Hallstatt is where the salt mines are. So we are spending 3+ days overall in that area.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 10:54 AM   #54
lip277
The old cranky SOB....

Carmudgeonly Ride: several cars... way too many....
LOL- 'quite a trip' is relative...
When I was growing up, a Sunday often consisted of my parents packing us all in the station wagon (1978 Ford Country Squire) for a scenic drive and a picnic.

We'd leave Monterey in the morning and go to..... Yosemite for a picnic lunch in the valley or maybe at the Ahwahnee. Do some touring around then drive back. That is about 200 miles each way - and we'd always take fun detours on the way over or back.

Guess that is why, to this day - I often take 400 mile drives on a Saturday or Sunday - just to get out of the house.
Here is one I do a couple of times each year.... https://goo.gl/maps/uSW4KrXdovm
Leave in the morning and have lunch in Leavenworth or Winthrop and do some looking around... then head home.

My brother's kids also have been brought up in the 'road trip' environment - Big vacation driving trips from Monterey to Utah or Montana or... Texas.... are a yearly activity. We get our Danish relatives in on the act as well when they visit - they really love it. Especially much so as the scenery is so different from what they have in northern Europe.
But - I guess we are just a bit weird.

1970 2800CS - - 2001 740iL - - 2006 997.1 - - 2012 Escalade
1968 Mustang GT Convertible - - 2003 Ford F250 PSD - - 1985 728i
lip277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 11:23 AM   #55
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF View Post
That is quite a trip ... I never did the ‘Scenic drive’ thing but it sounds a little torturous for the passengers to have to be in a car for that long over such a short time.

Just did a 180 mile trip each way a couple of weeks ago and that was not too fun plus my passenger (my 17 yr old daughter) slept for a lot of it, I know it wasn’t too fun for her.

I don’t recall reading about you taking too many road trips are you sure your kids will be alright being in a car for that amount of time ... I forget ... does the Bimmer at least have WiFi ?

Edit: I should know this being I have a 2017 3er with all the toys sitting in the driveway
I'm sure it will be tiring, but they grew up on road trips to Canada (dozens) and we've gone to Quebec City and also to DC (both 400+ miles in one shot) with no complaints.

Hopefully the scenery and the M3 will be bearable.
Old 02-25-2018, 11:25 AM   #56
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Um, that list looks like it's missing something.

Should be fun, though. When is delivery expected?
July 2nd. It will be during the 2nd half of the World cup. Not sure if that's good or bad. I'm hoping good since people will want to watch the games.
Old 02-25-2018, 11:29 AM   #57
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by lip277 View Post
Guess that is why, to this day - I often take 400 mile drives on a Saturday or Sunday - just to get out of the house.
Here is one I do a couple of times each year.... https://goo.gl/maps/uSW4KrXdovm
Leave in the morning and have lunch in Leavenworth or Winthrop and do some looking around... then head home.

I guess we are just a bit weird.
Did that trip on the first weekend after 20 was opened after the winter pass was cleared! At one of the scenic pull outs we ran into a group of 3 old Ford model A's (two of them were ragtops) The owners and wifes had pulled over for a picnic lunch, kinda glad we pulled out before them. I'm guessing they didn't go up the pass very quickly!

I miss Winthrop and Leavenworth. My facebook photo shows main street Leavenworth decked out in xmas lights.

I'm not sure how many times I've been to Germany. Between tours during rock and roll days, working for two different German companies during my working career, and trips to In-Laws in Mainz. Easily has to be over 20 visits. I keep telling my wife we need to go for a vacation, and not tell any relatives we are visiting. Just go and be tourists.
Old 02-25-2018, 11:36 AM   #58
3LOU5
Slacker Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by lip277 View Post
LOL- 'quite a trip' is relative...
When I was growing up, a Sunday often consisted of my parents packing us all in the station wagon (1978 Ford Country Squire) for a scenic drive and a picnic.

We'd leave Monterey in the morning and go to..... Yosemite for a picnic lunch in the valley or maybe at the Ahwahnee. Do some touring around then drive back. That is about 200 miles each way - and we'd always take fun detours on the way over or back.

My brother's kids also have been brought up in the 'road trip' environment - Big vacation driving trips from Monterey to Utah or Montana or... Texas.... are a yearly activity. We get our Danish relatives in on the act as well when they visit - they really love it. Especially much so as the scenery is so different from what they have in northern Europe.
But - I guess we are just a bit weird.
I LOVE taking road trips.

When my gf and I were doing the traveling CT/x-ray tech thing, we'd drive between 400 and 600 miles a day to get to our assignments. I'd lead with my 3 and she'd follow with her Odyssey. We would communicate via 2-way radios.

We've driven across the country a total of 8 times, each time taking different routes.

I remember one particular road trip in winter when we were heading east from CA to MA. There was HUGE weather front that was dumping A LOT of snow. We were trying to keep ahead of it and ended up driving close to 700 miles that one day.
2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !

Last edited by 3LOU5; 02-25-2018 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Edit
3LOU5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 11:51 AM   #59
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
I hated road trips as a kid. I was always car sick and miserable.

I must have been really fun to have as a kid.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 12:11 PM   #60
lip277
The old cranky SOB....

Carmudgeonly Ride: several cars... way too many....
Some kids (adults) are not able to do the 'road trip' thing....
My manager at work - he doesn't even like driving 40 minutes each morning to get to work. He doesn't like it to the point he is in a carpool (with his wife) and he has never driven when she is available.
He just smiles and shakes his head when he hears of my trips to Monterey where I drive 900 miles straight through without stopping.

1970 2800CS - - 2001 740iL - - 2006 997.1 - - 2012 Escalade
1968 Mustang GT Convertible - - 2003 Ford F250 PSD - - 1985 728i
lip277 is offline   Reply With Quote