carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 06-05-2019, 08:25 AM   #11
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
The roof is pretty bad. The hood isn't great but not horrible. It makes me sad because the car was pretty clean when I got it.

It may be PDR-able. Just not sure I want to spend the money on that right now. It does not affect performance of the car so it'll probably stay damaged for a while.
Sounds like that's pretty high on the list of Team WTF?! moments. Should I get Mike to make some decals?

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 08:26 AM   #12
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:
The roof is pretty bad. The hood isn't great but not horrible. It makes me sad because the car was pretty clean when I got it.

It may be PDR-able. Just not sure I want to spend the money on that right now. It does not affect performance of the car so it'll probably stay damaged for a while.
Man, that really sucks. Sorry to hear. Those storms last week were wicked in south east PA too. Any damage to other parts of your property? Any chance homeowners could cover it?
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 08:33 AM   #13
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
That sucks!

As for the no deductible thing, I am certain it was a long-standing Massachusetts law that all cars have zero-deductible windshield coverage. MA has always been weird about car insurance. A few years ago there were many changes, which allowed many other car companies to offer insurance. Geico, Progressive, etc, were not available in MA for a long time (Mass told them what to charge so only a few companies did business). Maybe when they relaxed the windshield coverage policies somewhat so that now there is a $100 deductible. I'm guessing, though.

EDIT: Here is a reasonably good explanation.

https://www.carinsurance.com/windshi...achusetts.aspx
I have $0 deductible windshield replacement and if I remember right (and I'm not sure I do), I got it right after I bought a car and was adding it to my policy. It might have been the Armada, which would be 2006. The agent said, "I see you don't have $0 deductible windshield replacement. Would you like to add it to your policy? There's no additional cost and it does not prevent or reduce any discounts. Claims made on it will not affect your future rates or reduce and future discounts." And I added it.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 08:47 AM   #14
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
I have $0 deductible windshield replacement and if I remember right (and I'm not sure I do), I got it right after I bought a car and was adding it to my policy. It might have been the Armada, which would be 2006. The agent said, "I see you don't have $0 deductible windshield replacement. Would you like to add it to your policy? There's no additional cost and it does not prevent or reduce any discounts. Claims made on it will not affect your future rates or reduce and future discounts." And I added it.

That's great. I know I always had zero deductible until Progressive. But I can deal with $100. This will be the 3rd windshield in 20 years for me (us).
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 11:57 AM   #15
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
I've never had insurance that offered free windshield replacement. It seems I am the only person on the planet who does not have this coverage.
Several times I had to do a windshield (and one time door glass), they were always out of comprehensive and I had to pay the deductible. I've never been offered "free" glass coverage, wouldn't that be nice? Generally depending on the cost and our deductible, we sometimes go out of pocket, the GTI wasn't too expensive even with OEM parts and the rain sensor (just a plug-in version of the glass).
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 06:57 AM   #16
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
We have our auto insurance deductibles set very high. I've always viewed insurance as something that is there for major events that would be financially painful to address out of pocket.

I don't even have comprehensive or collision coverage on the Mazdaspeed, which is what I drive every day. That car is worth maybe $5k.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 08:41 AM   #17
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
After my windshield and other (long time ago) break-in experiences, I've set comprehensive to $250 and collision to $1000 on all cars. It was only a few dollars to lower the comp deductible from 500 or 1000 and the difference really helps in this windscreen scenario where it costs you $250 no matter how expensive.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 08:44 AM   #18
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Knowing my glass deductible was always zero (or now $100), I've always had $500 for comprehensive and $1000 for collision.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 08:51 AM   #19
ff

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
Knowing my glass deductible was always zero (or now $100), I've always had $500 for comprehensive and $1000 for collision.
That's how I've had my insurance for as long as I can remember, $0/500/1000.
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 02:00 PM   #20
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by ff View Post
That's how I've had my insurance for as long as I can remember, $0/500/1000.
Ditto