carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 06-11-2019, 08:09 AM   #121
IndyMike
Elected by grace

Carmudgeonly Ride: 11 1 M; 11 328iT; 22 M240ix
Noice and congrats. Sakhir is a nice hue of orange with more of a red bent. What are your thoughts on the steering? Do you find it numb on center and predominantly disconnected from the road as every EPS vehicle seems to convey?

If my fading memory serves right you've now had every generation of M3 with the lone exception of the E30, right? If so you are probably in some very exclusive company.

My only claim to fame is that I've had every generation of 1 M.
Old 06-11-2019, 08:12 AM   #122
zach
swinging for the fences

Carmudgeonly Ride: 987, X7 M60i, e36 M3
JST - no sunroof, right? How do you feel about that?
zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 08:33 AM   #123
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by zach View Post
JST - no sunroof, right?
Oh snap!

New Team WTF car! How long before Nick owns it?
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 08:54 AM   #124
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Love the carbon roof... Too bad BMW deletes the roof rack receptacles when the carbon roof is ordered (so you need the sunroof if you ever want to carry anything on top). The flaps are there but there is no bolt holes (if I remember correctly from inspecting a 2015 m3 sedan when the f80 first came out).
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 09:44 AM   #125
JST

That's weird about the carbon roof and the bolt holes. I noticed the flaps but didn't open them; I'll have to check that later.

I sort of wanted a sunroof again but got used to not having one in the Golf (and now the Tesla, though at least that's glass). So, it was too bad but not a deal breaker. And I will say that I really like the way the carbon roof looks. It's a nice contrast to all the orange. The same is true of the dark colored wheels.

Very top-line impressions:
  • It drives like a BMW, which is nice, and I sort of missed it
  • I love the balance of it compared to the Golf. It's bigger, but drives the right end and doesn't have all of its weight on its nose.
  • The transmission and shifting is very BMWish--not fast, not like a rifle bolt, but clean and smooth. The clutch takeup is better than the Golf by a mile, and this car is way easier to drive smoothly.
  • The thing where it blips the throttle on downshifts is weird
  • It's pretty large, inside and out; I think this is about as big a car as I would want
  • The steering is fairly numb, esp on center, and feels a little slow compared to the Tesla. There's not a whole lot of road feel, esp coming from the Porsche
  • It's got a lot of power. The Tesla has redefined what low end torque means for me, but the M3 pulls pretty well even down low and builds well throughout the rev range. It doesn't sound as good as the old E90 V8 (either on start-up or winding it out), but it's a lot more flexible engine.
  • iDrive remains...a challenge. Maybe I'll get used to it. The presence of many more hard buttons is great compared to my last system, but the menus have also gotten weirder and more complex. At least there is a row of hard programmable buttons you can use.

Yes, I've now had every generation of M3 save the original. This one feels like an evolution of the others. It's a little bigger, a little faster, and more competent. It's not a sports car, but thenm again it's not trying to be. Viewed as one of the few remaining real 4 door sports sedans, it's great.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 09:45 AM   #126
Nick M3
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
Oh snap!

New Team WTF car! How long before Nick owns it?
Hah. I’ll have to drive it. I am curious about whether or not the S55 pisses me off as much as the N55 does. I know it solves at least one of the drivability problems, but I’ll be curious if it solves the uncanny valley turbo lag problem.

I do very much like that the F80 came in a couple of interesting colors that were actually popular. The E90 color selection wasn’t great, and hardly anyone ordered the good, but not as good as it should have been red.

Edit: Josh, did you get the CarMax warranty? I know that it’s been a fantastic deal for the E9x.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Last edited by Nick M3; 06-11-2019 at 09:58 AM.
Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 10:14 AM   #127
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Great review.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 10:26 AM   #128
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Great review, JST. It would be my go-to 4-door car if I wanted RWD (though I'd go blue).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
That's weird about the carbon roof and the bolt holes. I noticed the flaps but didn't open them; I'll have to check that later.
Apparently, there is a solution of sorts to this, but NOT for the faint of heart. There is a DIY-gone-wrong later in the same thread:

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1344846

If it were me, even though putting racks on cars is one of the first things I do, I think I'd simply give up the roof rack to have a CF roof. They look SO good.

Annoying that for the v8 e92, bmw allowed receptacles with the CF skin. Weird that they deleted in this generation.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 10:54 AM   #129
robg
Carmudgeon

Wow- wasn’t expecting you to get a bmw. Had gotten the impression you were over them. Beautiful car and I think the carbon roof looks great. Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 11:06 AM   #130
nate
Oh, are they?

Carmudgeonly Ride: S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
[*]The thing where it blips the throttle on downshifts is weird
I'm assuming that you can turn that "feature" off.