carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 01-08-2019, 07:28 PM   #21
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by BahnBaum View Post
I've squeezed every penny I can out of the Audi A5 (and it's 160K+ miles) and I've been looking for a reasonably priced daily that won't bore me to death and has the flexibility of a 4 door. I've tried limiting myself to manual transmissions cars, but that may something I give on. And I decided for a number of reasons not to consider used cars.

I've negotiated what feels like a killer deal on a several 2019 Giulia 2.0s by email with the dealer, and depending on how a test drive goes I'm likely going to pull the trigger.

Alex

Cool car. Love the idea of an Italian 3 series.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 07:29 PM   #22
JST

I like the Giulia, though the front kind of screams Edsel.

Honestly I’d lease one before I bought a new BMW. But I don’t think I could buy one.

GTI seems like an obvious potential alternative, but if you’ve got VW/Audi fatigue, I get it.

May be able to find one of the last manual ATSs?
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 07:30 PM   #23
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
I'm pretty sure my F80 M3 will be the last MT car I buy new. Selection is limited and I don't see us needing a new car for a few years. When the time comes hardly any cars will have MT's.

If it weren't for the MT (and ED) I would have not bought a new M3 and if I bought a new car I would likely have bought a C63S just for the V8 - another thing that will disappear soon.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 07:50 PM   #24
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Can't say I really blame you going away from a manual. There aren't many good options left.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 10:17 PM   #25
Alan
Carmudgeon

I think the Alfa is a really cool car though I do agree the reliability issue really concerns me to the point I would not consider one,

Maybe they improved since they originally came out ... one other concern would be resale though I have no clue whether it is good or bad for this brand though my gut tells me it’s the latter

If you do get one I’m sure it will be fun and we will learn through your experiences.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 11:40 PM   #26
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
I fell off manual wagon and I have no regrets. Then again, my non-manuals are a pickup truck and a Tesla... but still, I suspect you won't look back.

You should probably drive a Tesla Model 3 Performance before you decide though, eh?

And no, I don't see Alex going for a Genesis. He's clearly looking for a special car.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 01:23 AM   #27
Jon
Getting Old

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2013 e92 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
I fell off manual wagon and I have no regrets. Then again, my non-manuals are a pickup truck and a Tesla... but still, I suspect you won't look back.

You should probably drive a Tesla Model 3 Performance before you decide though, eh?

And no, I don't see Alex going for a Genesis. He's clearly looking for a special car.
How do you like the Tesla? I'd heard only great things, alee is a friend on FB, he has one but isn't so stoked..

The only electric car I've driven is i3, which I hated except for the torque and acceleration.

I bet I would love the Tesla. It is THE 3 series killer here in Santa Barbara anyway. I see new Teslas everywhere, a new BMW 3 once in a blue moon. With a couple of exceptions, I am calling BMW dead at least right now.

Btw, I loved driving i8 but it would not be something I'd drive.

Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 05:56 AM   #28
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Jon -
4 of us here now have Tesla’s. I’ve had 2, and JST is on his 3rd.

I love mine and can never go back to an ICE. I had a Model S for over 5 years and put 94k miles on it before getting my Model 3. Unfortunately, I was in a freak accident at the end of Sept and the 3 is still in the body shop due to some parts on back order. Can’t wait to get it back...
Old 01-09-2019, 06:49 AM   #29
BahnBaum
Tilting Rocinante

Drove a 2019 last night, and while it was wet and I couldn’t push it, several things really stood out: nimble feel, super quick steering, minimalist interior approach, some switchgear that reminds me more of dodge than bmw, electronic brakes that feel like you’d think electronic brakes might feel, but in general this car just oozes character for me. Audi, BMW and the G70 aren’t going to speak to me like this.

At this point I’m just waffling between colors; I plan on going back at lunchtime and buying, yes, buying it. I’m going to roll the dice on this one. Hopefully no one says I told you so at some point in the future, but feel free to give me shit if it works out that way.

Alex

Last edited by BahnBaum; 01-09-2019 at 07:13 AM.
BahnBaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 08:01 AM   #30
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by BahnBaum View Post
Drove a 2019 last night, and while it was wet and I couldn’t push it, several things really stood out: nimble feel, super quick steering, minimalist interior approach, some switchgear that reminds me more of dodge than bmw, electronic brakes that feel like you’d think electronic brakes might feel, but in general this car just oozes character for me. Audi, BMW and the G70 aren’t going to speak to me like this.

At this point I’m just waffling between colors; I plan on going back at lunchtime and buying, yes, buying it. I’m going to roll the dice on this one. Hopefully no one says I told you so at some point in the future, but feel free to give me shit if it works out that way.

Alex
Very cool. Keep us posted on how it plays out. It's definitely a car I want to like.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote