carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 07-04-2016, 02:38 PM   #11
JST

It only doesn't appeal to you because you haven't driven it.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 02:58 PM   #12
robg
Carmudgeon

Anyone else intrigued by the charger scat pack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
It only doesn't appeal to you because you haven't driven it.

Ha- yeah I definitely want to test drive an SS as well. Would be stupid not to.

I meant that the overall look of the charger is more appealing to me.

I should also have explained that this car is only appealing if I could score a lease on one in the 400s. Above that I quickly lose interest. I suspect the Chevy is significantly more expensive to lease. Don't know that I'd really want to commit to longer term ownership of either.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 02:58 PM   #13
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaz View Post

Looks very removable.
Yuck - that would definitley have to go. Worst case, I'm guessing a grill from the SRT would fit and is probably not too expesnive. (love how I'm talking about these details like I'm really going to get this car).
Old 07-05-2016, 09:56 AM   #14
Alan
Carmudgeon

I saw a new charger on the road the other day, the exhaust sounded awesome, totally bad ass car plus I really like the looks especially that nose.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 10:01 AM   #15
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Thing is the charger has more room than an srt8 Jeep and isn't as lumbering as its size suggests. Plus I just like the look of it much better than the jeep.
That depends on how you define/need space. A trunk is no replacement for a wagon style hatch area.

I'm just not a sedan (land barge) guy. I guess I'm not old enough yet.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 10:15 AM   #16
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Ha- yeah I definitely want to test drive an SS as well. Would be stupid not to.

I meant that the overall look of the charger is more appealing to me.

I should also have explained that this car is only appealing if I could score a lease on one in the 400s. Above that I quickly lose interest. I suspect the Chevy is significantly more expensive to lease. Don't know that I'd really want to commit to longer term ownership of either.
The Chevy doesn't sell particularly quickly, but if you look at retained values on G8s and 90s Impalas, they are impressively high. I don't know how they lease, but I would buy one without hesitation and be pretty confident that I could resell in a few years at a nice residual. EDIT: Especially with a stick.

I agree that the Charger is more impressive in the looks department.

I've not driven a Charger SRT or Scat Pack or whatever, but I had a long-term rental V6 a few years ago. It was a nice enough car, in a "big American boat" kind of way, but the SS is really in a different league. It feels, for lack of a better word, European. The Charger emphatically does not.

For me, the stick v. no-stick issue makes the choice very easy, but I think I'd get the SS even if I were to lose a leg and have to drive an auto.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 01:01 PM   #17
robg
Carmudgeon

Anyone else intrigued by the charger scat pack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
The Chevy doesn't sell particularly quickly, but if you look at retained values on G8s and 90s Impalas, they are impressively high. I don't know how they lease, but I would buy one without hesitation and be pretty confident that I could resell in a few years at a nice residual. EDIT: Especially with a stick.

I agree that the Charger is more impressive in the looks department.

I've not driven a Charger SRT or Scat Pack or whatever, but I had a long-term rental V6 a few years ago. It was a nice enough car, in a "big American boat" kind of way, but the SS is really in a different league. It feels, for lack of a better word, European. The Charger emphatically does not.

For me, the stick v. no-stick issue makes the choice very easy, but I think I'd get the SS even if I were to lose a leg and have to drive an auto.

You're probably right about the SS retaining its value. If I could get a stick (wife is diehard automatic only) it'd be on the top of my list. Since I'm stuck with automatics I'm thinking the Chargers "over the top" nature would add some fun. The exhaust sound alone is great. If I'm going to try the American muscle experience I might as well go all the way right?

I also had a v6 charger rental a few years ago and it did feel like a boat. From what I gather the better suspension, seats, steering, brakes and engines in the upper level models really transform the car. Plus, the facelift in 15 improved the looks and quality overall. If it does end up feeling as boaty as my v6 rental, however, then no amount of v8 goodness is going to make up for that. Plus my current f10 is already pushing the boundaries of "too big" for my taste so the extra 3 inches of width and 6" of length might be too much.

Last edited by robg; 07-05-2016 at 01:40 PM.
Old 07-05-2016, 02:13 PM   #18
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
The Charger is a big car that manages to drive even bigger than it is.

I haven't driven an SS, but I'm told that it drives smaller than it is... and that it offers a more entertaining driving experience than any big sedan BMW has made in more than ten years. By people who don't like American cars. That says a lot to me about which one I'd pick, even with an auto.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 06:22 PM   #19
clyde
Chief title editor

I still kick myself for not buying a G8 GXP. Could have had four years and 50k of driving with nearly negligible depreciation. Before Pontiac got the axe, they were going for mid/high thirties new. Once people realized Pontiac was going away and it was truly awesome car, the lasted of them went for 40ish. Four years later, the used ones with normal miles were still going for low/mid thirties.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 11:57 AM   #20
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
The "scat pack" name has a rich history along with the "super bee" (which I always thought was a brilliant given the origins of the name) - I think it's cool to see them bring them back.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_Super_Bee
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote