carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 06-11-2016, 12:20 AM   #1
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Roadside Assistance?

Any thoughts on Roadside Assistance? Any alternatives to AAA?

Now that I'm out of warranty on the Tesla, I no longer have roadside assistance. I have Tesla's extended warranty, but it doesn't include roadside (the only roadside coverage Tesla still provides is if the battery or drive unit die -- I have that until 8 years / 120k miles).

We're planning another road trip this summer -- 4k+ miles across 10 states/provinces. Having roadside avail to help with a flat tire or other issue is most likely not needed, but having coverage would be nice.

I've done some googling, but don't know which reviews to trust. This link gives some ratings http://roadside-assistance-services-...tenreviews.com -- basically their rankings show that either AAA or Good Sam are OK, but the others don't seem worth its (my employer used to own one of these -- and I audited that business back in '99; it was sold to another of the providers about 8-10 years ago...; lets just say I'm not surprised that it ranked middle of the pack).

Does anyone have experience with AAA or Good Sam? Good Sam is ~$69 per year and includes unlimited towing; AAA is $97/year + $15 one time enrollment for their "Plus" coverage (which includes 100 miles towing; their basic plan only includes 5 miles…). My stepdad used to get AAA for everyone in the family ~20 years ago -- but this is the first time in ~15+ years I've had an out-of-warranty car without included roadside assistance.

For our road trip, the only concerns I have are flat tires (no spare) and being out in the middle of nowhere where if a major issue happens, we may have to get the car towed to Tesla's nearest service center. I'm thinking it would be worth having a decent plan avail.

Appreciate all your thoughts...
Old 06-11-2016, 05:57 AM   #2
JST

Apart form roadside assistance, why not pick up a spare before your trip?
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 06:58 AM   #3
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
I've had good experiences with AAA (Gold). Not only are they far more prompt and responsive than BMW's version, you also get significant travel discounts for hotels and car rentals. Not sure how their service is though outside of major cities.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 08:17 AM   #4
kognito
older fart than ZBB

AAA offers extend well past Good Sams. Have had them both, but won't bother with Good Sams again. We have Coachnet for the RV.

Good Sams is envolved in way too many things to prioritize road side service. It isn't what they do best.

AAA offers so many travel packages, as well as discounts
Old 06-11-2016, 11:51 AM   #5
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
I have AAA's truck and trailer service. Pretty sure my credit card & insurance companies offer some level of basic roadside assistance.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 05:54 PM   #6
Alan
Carmudgeon

I've got AAA for the R8 and now since the Porsche is past it's time that car as well actually it's one membership I didn't read the rules but I think I am ok to use it for both cars ... Luckily I haven't used it but they have a good reputation and I wanted something reliable.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 07:50 PM   #7
kognito
older fart than ZBB

AAA is for you, doesn't matter how many cars you own. (don't know if this rule goes state by state) but I called them when my S4 became our third car
Old 06-11-2016, 07:57 PM   #8
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
I have AAA+ for myself (as I've had the e46 m3 for more than 3 years). Depending on what we do with the TDI, I may need to add C. to the plan, she is currently, narrowly covered under VW.

That said, I can't remember the last time I used roadside assistance.

C. has needed it many times over the last ten years (she does commute daily). A few times for leaving her lights on, once after crashing her Subie, once after the Subie's engine went and also last year VW to change a tire for her.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 08:06 PM   #9
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by AF View Post
I've got AAA for the R8 and now since the Porsche is past it's time that car as well actually it's one membership I didn't read the rules but I think I am ok to use it for both cars ... Luckily I haven't used it but they have a good reputation and I wanted something reliable.
AAA coverage follows you, doesn't even need to be your car. If you are stranded, they'll cover whatever as long as you are there.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 10:35 PM   #10
clyde
Chief title editor

I've had AAA for a million years and used my parents coverage when I was under 18, so it's been a while. When I got my own coverage, I think they wouldn't let you get the highest level of coverage riht away. Had to be a member for a couple years. Kinda hard to remember, but it can matter. The highest level provides towing to the location of your choice up to a few hundred miles while the lowest level only provides a tow of a few miles or back to the tow provider's location. I think the specifics depend on state or region.

Between my wife, my parents, my brother and I over more than 30 years, it's been pretty helpful when we've needed it for car issues like tow service, dead batteries, flat tires, keys locked in car. Etc.

Some areas have extra free services like in California where they can do almost anything you need registration or title wise that would otherwise need a trip to DMV or a paid title service. My dad always loved their route planning service way back when and I loved flipping rough the TripTiks when I was kid, but that doesn't matter any more.

My wife and I find AAA discounts a few times a year that beat anything else available to us that probably save us a few hundred dollars a year.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote