carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Technical Superiority

Old 02-07-2008, 05:48 PM   #1
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Runflat bubble

My gf (she was driving the e90 today) just called to inform me of a bubble on one of the hateful runcraps.

What a pain as we were planning to go to Lake Placid tomorrow evening (new snowstorm).

Do I drop 2-300$ into buying another one of these tires that I hate?

But what do I replace them with? I'm not ready to spring for a tire & wheel package on a car that I'm not yet fully committed to. Actually there are basically no e90 winter packages available because of its retarded offsets not working with e46 or other previous cars. Winter is almost over anyway...

I guess I could buy a set of snows and dump the pitiful turanzas... Either way, I don't have time to have the tires mailed. Damn, what luck.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 05:57 PM   #2
equ
Alphanumeric

Oh yeah, I don't have a spare yet either... My plan was to wait for March and buy either a set of wheels & tires or just tires on current stock wheels.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:59 PM   #3
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
My gf (she was driving the e90 today) just called to inform me of a bubble on one of the hateful runcraps.

What a pain as we were planning to go to Lake Placid tomorrow evening (new snowstorm).

Do I drop 2-300$ into buying another one of these tires that I hate?

But what do I replace them with? I'm not ready to spring for a tire & wheel package on a car that I'm not yet fully committed to. Actually there are basically no e90 winter packages available because of its retarded offsets not working with e46 or other previous cars. Winter is almost over anyway...

I guess I could buy a set of snows and dump the pitiful turanzas... Either way, I don't have time to have the tires mailed. Damn, what luck.
Buy a set of decent snows (like Dunlop WinterSports, which I am very happy with). Put them on the wheels that you've got. If you keep the car, you can buy a used set of SP wheels (or do what I did and get a set of E46 M3 wheels + a 12 mm spacer for the front wheels) and use those for your summer tires. If you don't decide to keep the car, sell it before winter is over.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 06:23 PM   #4
TD
Founder emeritus

Been there...
TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 08:01 PM   #5
equ
Alphanumeric

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Buy a set of decent snows (like Dunlop WinterSports, which I am very happy with). Put them on the wheels that you've got. If you keep the car, you can buy a used set of SP wheels (or do what I did and get a set of E46 M3 wheels + a 12 mm spacer for the front wheels) and use those for your summer tires. If you don't decide to keep the car, sell it before winter is over.
The stock runcrap is $222 at TR (and this is no Z rated sports tire and in 225/45-17). I'm guessing a $350 repair at the dealer. I'm going to do sth like what you suggested. However, I'm really annoyed with bmw making life so difficult for people.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:01 PM   #6
JST

Quote:
The stock runcrap is $222 at TR (and this is no Z rated sports tire and in 225/45-17). I'm guessing a $350 repair at the dealer. I'm going to do sth like what you suggested. However, I'm really annoyed with bmw making life so difficult for people.
Yes, of is annoying. My RFT rear tire was 375, IIRC. The worst thing though is that since you don't have a spare wheel, you can't just leave the flat-- you have to leave the whole car.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:04 PM   #7
equ
Alphanumeric

Newsflash (or more like rumour-flash)

My gf met some of her friends this eve in NNJ and one of them has a spouse that works for BMWNA here. The rumour is that bmw might take "more action" about runflats. MCS under consideration for RFT's as well?

Third hand so clearly it's like a game of telephone...
Old 02-08-2008, 09:04 AM   #8
JST

Quote:
My gf met some of her friends this eve in NNJ and one of them has a spouse that works for BMWNA here. The rumour is that bmw might take "more action" about runflats. MCS under consideration for RFT's as well?

Third hand so clearly it's like a game of telephone...
The MCS already has runflats.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:17 AM   #9
equ
Alphanumeric

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
The MCS already has runflats.
I know. The rumour is that it may be dumped.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:25 AM   #10
JST

Quote:
I know. The rumour is that it may be dumped.
Oh.

Frankly, having had both an E46 M3 (which came without a spare and without runflats) and an E90 (which came without a spare and with runflats), if BMW is going to build cars without spare tires, they should put runflats on them--but what they should REALLY do is just build fricking cars without runflats and with spare tires.

There's no reason you couldn't put smaller mufflers on the E90 and make room for a spare wheel. The same is true of the Mini--the only reason that the Cooper S can't have a spare wheel is that the goofy center mounted exhaust is in the way.

What's completely ridiculous, though, is that there are some BMWs that come with both runflats AND a spare tire. And not just 5ers that were designed before RFTs spread across the BMW range--the new X6 has both.