carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 01-17-2020, 05:53 PM   #1
Alan
Carmudgeon

How do you compare the 911 to the Cayman/Boxster

I wanted to give you guys an update on having both cars being in the last 2 weeks I’ve been daily driving the Porsche’s .. I only drove the bmw once and yesterday I had a loaner Audi A3 being I had to bring my daughters A4 in for a recall.

I want to hear how you guys who have driven both compare the 2 then I want to give my impressions because I’m not quite sure how to describe the handling difference ...
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 07:09 PM   #2
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Paging equ.....
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 07:18 PM   #3
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
Paging equ.....
I know he is going to comment and he definitely prefers the Cayman/Boxster ... looking forward to his comments too.
Old 01-17-2020, 09:27 PM   #4
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
They are apples and oranges different. That said, even the 991 and 997 are different. I've posted lots and lots on this, but my back to back comparisons are from years ago. I haven't driven a 911 in nearly four years since I shopped for my 981.

There are moments I'd prefer one and moments the other. On dry tarmac, in an auto-x and probably on track, I'd take the mid-engines. They turn in so nicely. On the street, making rapid progress on a parkway, for visibility and torque and squirting between lanes, the 911 is hard to beat. On wet & snow, once again 911 puts the power down and slides out very gently (on power). In low traction, you have to be a lot more careful feeding power to the boxman. Even with an LSD, they struggle to put it down if you're abrupt.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 10:35 PM   #5
JST

You know, I liked the 911s better on the track. No, they didn’t turn in as well, but the had grip for days on corner exit and loads of torque, and just felt all around stronger than the Cayman.

Those were 987s, and it was a long time ago, but I remember coming home and immediately starting to look for a Carrera S.

That’s one reason I’m really intrigued by the GTS; what would a 4 liter Boxster feel like? Best of both worlds, or worst of each?
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 04:49 AM   #6
equ
Alphanumeric

The 911 is more like a motorcycle, needs more thought (i.e. slower entry) to set up for a corner and then accelerate all the way through, getting on the gas much sooner than front or mid-engined machine.

The boxster/cayman are like comfy go-carts. You can pretty much do anything you like but when they spin, happens quickly. I took my 997 out in an slushy icy snowstorm. It was a deserted time of day and I went to some warehouse streets that hadn't been salted yet. Had an epic drive even on re050a's (which for some reason, perhaps the particular slush, did not fall apart and make the drive impossible or white knuckle). In that low grip scenario, my 911 was the best 2wd/rwd car I ever experienced. This is why I keep harping on that it's the last car that needs the AWD treatment (at least up to 360hp - not sure about the more powerful variants).

If I had more money, and if I actually drove a bit (I do very few miles now on either car), I could easily see having another 911.
Old 01-18-2020, 02:59 PM   #7
Alan
Carmudgeon

Interesting review, I was thinking more of everyday living since I do not Autocross.

Here is my take on things … first of all I love driving the Cayman, there are times I get into it and my left foot reaches to push in the clutch to start it since I am so used to having a clutch in the 911 only to remember it's a pdk … the car overall is louder then the 911 on the inside in regards to engine noise, I really like the sound of the 4 cylinder though yes the 911's 3.8 engine is intoxicating though all of a sudden the 911 feels more insulated but not by much.

I did the garage test (yes I'm like a 17 yr old) which is rolling down the windows and revving the car to 5k - 6k rpm's a few times and the 911 is louder, has more gurgles and just has a more exotic sound .. my wife always says when she is in the house hearing this racket in the garage… 'having fun' with a wink.

PDK - This is a really cool transmission, I think this is one of the reasons I am enjoying the Cayman so much, there is a slight hesitation off the line while the transmission engages first gear which I think is pretty cool and no near the amount of time the R8's single clutch took to get into first gear and btw my kids Audi's DCT's don't do this. The shifts are insanely fast, especially when you floor the car at speed and it needs to down shift, you literally feel a kick in your back as this car slams into gear and takes off

Handling: Well it's winter here and the Cayman has summer tires while the
911 has the winter set on not that I could ever reach anywhere near the limits of either car .. the Cayman being mid engine has this very centered feel, I am not sure how to describe it but you guys here who have had these cars would be better at explaining it.

One cool factor is the 2 trunks but one thing that really bothers me is that this car doesn't have the comfort option so I need to use a key to open the doors and to start it, every other car I have has the keyless feature no idea why a $73k car doesn't come with it.

The PCM (infotainment system) is much better in the Cayman then the one I have in the 911 though it does glitch a little with the apple car play here and there, I have glitches in the 540 with apple car play as well … I am thinking both apple and the car manufacturers need to work on this a bit more.

In regards to the 911 … I find it incredible this car will be 8 years old (with 15k miles) in April and it is just such an awesome car to drive, the way the rear tires just dig into the ground with the engine being in the rear is such an awesome feeling … from the way it accelerates to the way it handles the curves, to the sound of that engine with the sport exhaust … does this car ever get old

Overall very happy with both Porsches … they are awesome !!
Old 01-18-2020, 05:27 PM   #8
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Interesting review, I was thinking more of everyday living since I do not Autocross.
None of the other comments were about autocrossing.

Quote:
every other car I have has the keyless feature no idea why a $73k car doesn't come with it.
My $19k-when-new Camaro has it. I hate driving every car that doesn't.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 05:48 PM   #9
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
None of the other comments were about autocrossing.

My $19k-when-new Camaro has it. I hate driving every car that doesn't.
I know ... it should not be an option at certain price ranges

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post

There are moments I'd prefer one and moments the other. On dry tarmac, in an auto-x and probably on track, I'd take the mid-engines. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
You know, I liked the 911s better on the track. No, they didn’t turn in as well, but the had grip for days on corner exit and loads of torque, and just felt all around stronger than the Cayman.
Was referring to this part in regard to autocrossing ..
Old 01-18-2020, 06:00 PM   #10
equ
Alphanumeric

When I said auto-x, I really meant tight turns on tarmac in general. So everyone is kind of right, I've hardly ever auto-xed, and those were with my e46 zhp.

Between the two caymans went a grand total of twice. The 911 never, so it's not like I had frustration with the 911, I'm just extending. I also did porsche's weak sauce monticello event two years in a row, 911's on track and the mid-engines on a tight fake course. If I went into motorsports, I'd do track, just that much more enjoyable over auto-x. Not sure which car I'd pick on track, but likely the mid-engines for the turn in.