Jaded

Cayman S

http://www2.us.porsche.com/cayman/pcna.asp
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 01:10 PM   #2
Rob
The user formerly known as rwg

Carmudgeonly Ride: Z4
what kind of crap is that? They don't even show the car. Ooo - I must go buy one immediately b/c it's named after a crocodile. Bah.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 01:13 PM   #3
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwg
what kind of crap is that? They don't even show the car. Ooo - I must go buy one immediately b/c it's named after a crocodile. Bah.
I know...I posted it before viewing it. Oh well...
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 01:31 PM   #4
Rob
The user formerly known as rwg

Carmudgeonly Ride: Z4
Hah. I wasn't blaming you for their bs. I was ranting at their advertising agency's idiocy. And perhaps the idiocy of their customers that will make this crap work.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 01:38 PM   #5
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwg
Hah. I wasn't blaming you for their bs. I was ranting at their advertising agency's idiocy. And perhaps the idiocy of their customers that will make this crap work.
The name is crap, the way they are introducing the product sucks too. But following Porsche's crazy pricing scheme, it really isn't all that crazy.

Here's what I posted on Rennlist:

I thought I had read a while back that the "base" Cayman (or C7 at the time) would basically be a Boxster S coupe. And the C7S, or Cayman S now, would have a more powerful engine. That all makes sense.

So, let's pretend that things do happen that way and in 2 years one can basically get a Boxster S coupe (Cayman) for the same price as the Boxster S (but with better performance since it will be a lighter, more rigid car), or you can pay more, say 8-10K more, and get a more powerful car with a few more options thrown in, like 19" wheels and PASM.

Would that really be that crazy? After all, what does a 997S offer for 10K more than a base 997 other than the engine and a couple of options?

Whatever the 997S has over a base 997 is probably what the Cayman S will have over a Cayman. And since a base Cayman will really be a Boxster S coupe, is it nuts for Porsche to ask more for the Cayman S than the Boxster S?

They *should* charge less for a coupe than for a convertible, but this is Porsche, they charge more for performance, period. And ceteris paribus, a coupe will be a better performer than its cabrio version.

They should have introduced the base Cayman first in my opinion. Then they could have charged the same as the Boxster S, probably make more money (since a coupe is cheaper to make than a cabrio) and it would have been faster than a Boxster S. Everyone would love it. Then they could have offered the even higher-performing Cayman S for another 8-10K and people would have had no problems with it.

Just poor marketing and a horrendous name.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 01:42 PM   #6
TD
Founder emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwg
I would honestly think that most people who are interested in this car at this stage (pre-release) have already seen pics.

The lemming P-car buyer will wait until they are on the dealer lots, equipped with automatic trannies, before they care.
TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 01:50 PM   #7
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
These are actual spy pics. I expect it to look just like this.

http://www.onlyporsche.net/content/view/123/2/

Click on the small images.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote