Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 06-16-2009, 10:25 AM   #1
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
C6 spookiness at the limit:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...hotopanel..1.*

it's encapsulated here, also.

it's something i've personally sampled on-track in a C6 Z51 as well in real life with a C6 Z06.

am curious as to other people's experiences with this oddness at the limit. it really turned me off which made letting the Z06 go an easy decision. the lack of steering feedback (artificial heft) plus the pogo-ing plus the snap oversteer was unthrilling to me --and i was coming from an e36/8 M coupe just for reference (spooky, but predictable).

what is most surprising to me is that i never found the C5 spooky at all at the limits so i'm not sure if it's the tires and their behavior at breakaway or something in the suspension tuning.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 10:42 AM   #2
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
The C6 Z06 exhibiting this behavior is understanding. It's got a lot of rear anti-roll bar and a huge amount of tire stagger. The Z51 I'm puzzled about. It should handle very similarly to a C5 Z06 based on having similar springs, shocks and bars. And my car is definitely not spooky at the limit, it's very predictable. The only major difference is that they changed the rear suspension geometry on the C6 (the front end is the same), but I thought that was to IMPROVE predictability!

I wonder if it's the rake. The C6s ship with a lot more rake than the C5s did, and my car has essentially no rake the way it's set up. With the rear end way up compared to the front (in a stock C6) you will get a situation where the front end can write checks that the rear end can't cash. Lowering the rear would probably help.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 10:50 AM   #3
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
The C6 Z06 exhibiting this behavior is understanding. It's got a lot of rear anti-roll bar and a huge amount of tire stagger. The Z51 I'm puzzled about. It should handle very similarly to a C5 Z06 based on having similar springs, shocks and bars. And my car is definitely not spooky at the limit, it's very predictable. The only major difference is that they changed the rear suspension geometry on the C6 (the front end is the same), but I thought that was to IMPROVE predictability!

I wonder if it's the rake. The C6s ship with a lot more rake than the C5s did, and my car has essentially no rake the way it's set up. With the rear end way up compared to the front (in a stock C6) you will get a situation where the front end can write checks that the rear end can't cash. Lowering the rear would probably help.
the C5 Z06 is the most fun i've had ever on-track --and back to back with a c6 z51 is just horrible.

i think you've just convinced me to buy a c5 z06 is i'm going to go that direction instead of new C6.

thanks.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 11:03 AM   #4
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Yeah, I mean, it's not like it's the most fun car I've ever owned. And certainly not in the top three of fun cars I've ever driven or anything.

It's an awesome car. Except the seats. Complete garbage.

Be sure you get an '04, and be sure it's red.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote