carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 03-28-2008, 11:37 AM   #11
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
My parents have had an X3 for about 4 months. They love it. I'm sure they would have been just as happy had they gotten an RX instead.

Although, after driving the X3 my father had no interest in checking out anything else since it is basically identical to his 3 series (which he loves) but with a slightly higher seating position.
That's essentially how I felt, it reminded me of my old 323i except, well, higher.

I liked its size, it was easy to get in and out of and although it's no track vehicle, it returned a fair bit of driving pleasure.

The RX was the perfect automotive appliance, it was comfortable, quiet, the right size - it accelerated smoothly and quickly - it just wasn't fun in any way.

At any rate, I'm ok either way, it's really my wife's decision, I've got my own car(s) to trade in and out of

Ed
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 11:45 AM   #12
clyde
Chief title editor

I just remembered. My sister in law's in laws just ended a lease on an X3 and replaced with with an Altima SE. The X3 replaced a New Beetle, and they liked the X3 a little more than the Beetle. They like the Altima a lot more than the X3.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 12:13 PM   #13
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
I just remembered. My sister in law's in laws just ended a lease on an X3 and replaced with with an Altima SE. The X3 replaced a New Beetle, and they liked the X3 a little more than the Beetle. They like the Altima a lot more than the X3.
I did take a quick look at the new Murano, which is built on the new Altima platform (by all accounts, a pretty decent chassis) - it struck me as a bit too tall for our purposes (even I had to climb up and in).

However, once inside there's a lot of Infiniti in there. Could give the corporation's own EX35 a run for the money - too bad about that grille though, it's an almost pretty car, then they go and slap that pinched up nose on it.

Ed
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 12:35 PM   #14
Aerials
Jaded

Carmudgeonly Ride: 3.5 SE
I'd pass on the Lexus.

I know they are not SUV's, but comparing my cousins 04Lexus ES330 to my 01 325iT makes me choose a BMW any day over a Lexus. Granted, the Lexus is very comfortable, but it feels to me as if I'm driving a wine glass. It's boring, plain and simple. Steering is much to loose on it and for being a Toyota, it has pretty disappointing gas mileage.

The BMW feels so much more well built, and it doesn't have the loose steering wheel feeling to it. It may not be as comfortable as the Lexus, but I'd choose it over any day over the Lexus.

How long do you plan on keeping it?

I can imagine those batteries the hybrids use will eventually go bad and need expensive replacing. I would only lease a Hybrid, I would never own one. All in all, if the Lexus is what makes her happy, then so be it. Good Luck!!
Aerials is offline   Reply With Quote