carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 03-25-2017, 02:00 AM   #51
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by AF View Post
Seriously ... a "techy Luxo-cruiser" how does anyone call a brand new M3 this ??

Nice way to knock one of the best cars on the road today well i guess it's no ZHP convertible

This just blows my mind ... an M3 is a techy Luxo-cruiser
Actually, M4, my bad - and yes, that's what it feels like to drive on regular roads. It's not a "knock" unless you take it that way. Your mileage may vary, literally.
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 07:50 AM   #52
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp11 View Post
Actually, M4, my bad - and yes, that's what it feels like to drive on regular roads. It's not a "knock" unless you take it that way. Your mileage may vary, literally.
I disagree ... if you were a sports car driver and let's say you drove a Miata or a 911 on a regular basis I can understand you saying the car feels Gt'ish but being you are driving a convertible 3 series moving up into a M car should feel like you just jumped into a very sporty machine.

Btw this is not knocking a convertible 3 series .. you know I love your car but the M is the next level of car.
Also as far as the techy part, this is the norm nowadays ... you need to get with the times ...
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 08:22 AM   #53
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:
Seriously ... a "techy Luxo-cruiser" how does anyone call a brand new M3 this ??
I'm ​going to agree with Ed on this one. To be fair, I haven't driven one, but the sheer size of the thing and the focus on gegaws over substance is (failing) BMW's new schtick. Bigly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee View Post
If I were to buy a new M car tomorrow, it would be an M2.
Without a doubt.

Saw one of those yesterday too, but it was that turquoise blue color and not the superior white like the m3. It also wasn't being driven by a chick like the m3 was either.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 08:52 AM   #54
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
M2 is the way to go unless you have to haul around a lot of family. My 2 is the perfect size for me and quite doable for the occasional rear passsenger. My son who's now almost 11 and 5 feet tall rides in the front seat for the mile-long trips to school. Mostly it's just the two of us or just me in the car.

The E91 was certainly more commodious for family (and dog) schlepping, but we always took the X5 if we were all going somewhere together.

The convertible makes the small car a draw for family jaunts in a way a regular small sedan would not be. If the roof did not go down, we would never take anything but the X5.

The new 3 is big, but I doubt the whole family would opt to ride in it up to Canada instead of the LR. Maybe you would choose to all ride into the city in it because it's easier to navigate and park in an urban environment. But YMMV for sure.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 10:03 AM   #55
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Oh man, FC is going to be the first one of us to own an M2 isn't he.

It's the car you'd end up with if a GTI and M3 has a baby, so it's the perfect solution to this thread's dilemma.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 10:05 AM   #56
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Slushie be damned.

Giulia.
Sorry. You all must have misunderstood me.

Slushie be damned.

Giulia.

Why are you all still talking?

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 10:25 AM   #57
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
Oh man, FC is going to be the first one of us to own an M2 isn't he.

It's the car you'd end up with if a GTI and M3 has a baby, so it's the perfect solution to this thread's dilemma.
I don't imagine he'd go with anything 2-door.

Also, another point from my list above. With kids in the car, I also can't imagine choosing anything smaller than the biggest car you have for highway travel...I don't even like my spouse to drive to and from work (highway route) in anything but the X5.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 10:28 AM   #58
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:
Sorry. You all must have misunderstood me.

Slushie be damned.

Giulia.

Why are you all still talking?
He's so afraid of repairs, I don't think he's even owned a car long enough to have to replace the tires, and you want him to buy an Alpha?

Edit: on second thought... Maybe you're right, that might be the perfect term of ownership.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 11:56 AM   #59
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
Quote:
I disagree ... if you were a sports car driver and let's say you drove a Miata or a 911 on a regular basis I can understand you saying the car feels Gt'ish but being you are driving a convertible 3 series moving up into a M car should feel like you just jumped into a very sporty machine.

Btw this is not knocking a convertible 3 series .. you know I love your car but the M is the next level of car.
Also as far as the techy part, this is the norm nowadays ... you need to get with the times ...
Perhaps you've spent some time behind the wheel of an M4? I don't know, if you had and your experience was different from mine, that's valid, but you can't tell me how I feel as a result of my experience with the car is wrong and that I should feel differently (and exactly as you) because of a set of arbitrary parameters you've invented - that's stupid. I've taken two long trips, as driver and passenger, in an M4, over country roads and in the city, I drove it quite a bit and know it well enough.

The M4 is a beautiful GT with very high limits, limits that can be properly explored at track day (if you could afford the loss if you wrecked it). Around town, it's large (wide), heavy and cumbersome, the tech stuff is a nice distraction that holds no appeal to me (except for HUD, that was nice) - it's also quite garish, which matters to me, I don't like driving around in cars that make we feel like I'm shouting.

I also don't believe in "next level cars" as a sure thing - a 911 is supposed to be a level up from a Boxster or Cayman, yet I'd take one of the latter P's any day of the week, regardless of price.

I suggested FC try one - he's had a number of third cars now, including at least two Porsches, so I'm not sure what would satisfy him - however, I didn't advise him to repurchase a ZHP (which IMO, IS way more fun as a daily driver).

Frankly, I'm not sure why my opinion bothers you so much - I've been around a LOT of cars over 45 years of driving, I know what I like. In the end, it's just a car, no one really cares what I think nor what you think, the important thing is to buy and enjoy the car that lights YOU up, not the car you think others are admiring as you drive by ...
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 01:41 PM   #60
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Slushie be damned.

Giulia.
I've thought about it. A lot.

But:

-Slushie
-All new car
-10k more than the M3

Alfa opened a new dealership a mile from my job. I'll see what they have soon.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote