carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 03-24-2017, 07:04 PM   #41
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaz View Post
Gutlessness at the bottom end around town is one of the big reasons I ended up being so disappointed in the real-world usage of my RX-8 too.
sorry but I dont think the E90 V8 low end can be compared the the rx-8

>>>>>>

Also I am not sure I can buy that a fwd GTI (or fwd biased R) is more fun then a M3. If you are worried about speeding then put some crappy A/S on the M3.

I think the new F80 M3 is a great looking car. Not sure why you would want to buy a new one in a few years since there should be a big selection of used ones out there. Engine and the size is not my cup of tea.
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 07:10 PM   #42
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
The E90 M3 is a terrible around-town car, though. Not because it's big and heavy, though it its a little on the numb side--mostly just because it feels like it's sleeping 98 percent of the time you're driving around. Wind it out to hear that glorious noise and you are going 90 mph at least. Ask yourself: Where around where I live can I do that?

It does sound badass when you start it up (especially when it's cold), but when you're just puttering around town it feels like a big car with light steering and a soft bottom end.

I've said before that the minute I got the Boxster I sort of stopped enjoying the M3, and I stand by that. The Tesla is a little bit the same way, but the place where the Tesla really stands out is low-end, not top-end, so you can access the performance a lot more.

Call me a liar, but I'd rather commute in the Golf R than an E90 M3. The Golf is *fun* at sane speeds--even with a soupcon of lag, the boost builds and hits you before you are going "go to jail" speeds. The E90 M3 isn't fun at those speeds, really.
you should of bought that e36 M3 that you were looking at awhile back
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 07:21 PM   #43
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
Ha! No, of course not, just a different illustration of the same principle, albeit on a very different scale.
Old 03-24-2017, 07:36 PM   #44
Nick M3
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaz View Post
Ha! No, of course not, just a different illustration of the same principle, albeit on a very different scale.
Actually, thebscale is probably about right.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 08:00 PM   #45
clyde
Chief title editor

Slushie be damned.

Giulia.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 08:09 PM   #46
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
I will grudgingly admit that I admired a new m3 today. I think the vantage point from my truck actually helped it look more normal sized​ and not as gigantic as it normally appears​ in comparison to the e46.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 08:57 PM   #47
Sharp11
Vicarious Twitterer

Carmudgeonly Ride: 06 330 cic ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
As you may recall, we were close to getting a GTI when my wife became smitten with the eGolf and the great lease deal made us get it. My wife felt the GTI was too sporty/boyish and it would primarily be her car. Fair enough.

It's early given that the eGolf lease ends in Jan 2019, but as I am hoping to get an M3 (after much waffling) and they go out of production in 2018, we are tentatively planning a potential ED trip for one in June 2018.

The waffling resumes now because while I can talk myself into spending M3 money, there is always a GTI on my shoulder saying "You are not really going to spend over twice as much as I cost on an M3, are you?"

I drove the GTI and liked it. It wasn't perfect but it was quick and fun. Reviews (including reports on reliability) are glowing. That translates into the streets, where GTI's seem to be spawning everywhere. 5 people at work have one. I don't care that much about exclusivity.

The question is: Given that I'd drive it 5k miles per year, and not always in traffic-free country roads, why get an M3 when there is a perfectly good GTI, or worst-case, an R (with the benefit of AWD)?

Admittedly they are in totally different categories, but the ~$35k premium weighs on me. My wife is puzzled by why I'd even consider the GTI (she found it unrefined) and looks forward to the trip to Europe. She is not particularly happy with the M3 price tag but is willing to spend the money. The M3 is a very nice car but also not my "I'd kill someone for it" dream car.

Thoughts?
You might want to drive a current M3 - it's a really nice GT, but unless you plan to track it, it'll feel like a techy luxo-cruiser around town.

I wouldn't kick one out of the garage, but I wouldn't pay the kind of money they're asking for it either.

Your call.
Sharp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 10:59 PM   #48
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp11 View Post
You might want to drive a current M3 - it's a really nice GT, but unless you plan to track it, it'll feel like a techy luxo-cruiser around town.

I wouldn't kick one out of the garage, but I wouldn't pay the kind of money they're asking for it either.

Your call.
Seriously ... a "techy Luxo-cruiser" how does anyone call a brand new M3 this ??

Nice way to knock one of the best cars on the road today well i guess it's no ZHP convertible

This just blows my mind ... an M3 is a techy Luxo-cruiser
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 11:03 PM   #49
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post

>>>>>>

Also I am not sure I can buy that a fwd GTI (or fwd biased R) is more fun then a M3. If you are worried about speeding then put some crappy A/S on the M3.

I think the new F80 M3 is a great looking car. Not sure why you would want to buy a new one in a few years since there should be a big selection of used ones out there. Engine and the size is not my cup of tea.
You might be right about resale in a few years but I have been checking them out recently (the M4) and they seem to be in the mid $60k range ...at this price you might as well buy a new one. The price savings just isn't worth it.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 11:30 PM   #50
blee
Doctor Mudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
I will grudgingly admit that I admired a new m3 today. I think the vantage point from my truck actually helped it look more normal sized​ and not as gigantic as it normally appears​ in comparison to the e46.
It really is big. I feel like the E46 is about the perfect size for its purpose, the E90 is bit more comfortable in the second row, and the F30 is just too big. If I were to buy a new M car tomorrow, it would be an M2.
blee is offline   Reply With Quote