carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 05-22-2023, 11:28 AM   #631
dan
redefined

How many miles? I'm guessing I may have passed you. 7549 here.
Old 05-22-2023, 11:39 AM   #632
IndyMike
Elected by grace

Carmudgeonly Ride: 11 1 M; 11 328iT; 22 M240ix
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
If only there were a convertible version...
Yeah, that remains a head scratcher. BMW is forcing the customer into a Z4 if you want that smallish size droptop variant.

I think a vert G42 would sell like hotcakes, but undoubtedly it was a business decision to force you into the more expensive 4 series to whet your top-down appetite.
Old 05-22-2023, 11:40 AM   #633
IndyMike
Elected by grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan View Post
How many miles? I'm guessing I may have passed you. 7549 here.
LOL! Yeah, you passed me like I was standing still. I only have 2700 miles on it so far.
Old 05-22-2023, 12:31 PM   #634
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
New 2-Series leaked

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMike View Post
Yeah, that remains a head scratcher. BMW is forcing the customer into a Z4 if you want that smallish size droptop variant.

I think a vert G42 would sell like hotcakes, but undoubtedly it was a business decision to force you into the more expensive 4 series to whet your top-down appetite.

Not sure if you meant “won’t sell like hotcakes” - unfortunately convertible sales have been dropping for a long time, and not just BMW. I would consider this an endangered species and in future will probably be hard to find anyone offering them other than $$$ specialty models. Feels like Mazda is about the only one still focused on small & relatively cheap drop tops but honestly no clue what the economics of the Miata looks like and how long that will stick around.

Last edited by SARAFIL; 05-22-2023 at 12:52 PM.
SARAFIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 01:36 PM   #635
IndyMike
Elected by grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL View Post
Not sure if you meant “won’t sell like hotcakes” - unfortunately convertible sales have been dropping for a long time, and not just BMW. I would consider this an endangered species and in future will probably be hard to find anyone offering them other than $$$ specialty models. Feels like Mazda is about the only one still focused on small & relatively cheap drop tops but honestly no clue what the economics of the Miata looks like and how long that will stick around.
I actually meant what I wrote, but I admit to being ignorant regarding past vert sales numbers, so I wasn't aware that was the reason for all she wrote.
Old 05-22-2023, 04:23 PM   #636
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Yep. I think Mercedes recently consolidated their vert lineup down to 1 car (from 3)
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 05:56 PM   #637
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Yep. I think Mercedes recently consolidated their vert lineup down to 1 car (from 3)
I see on their website the C,E and SL …. Are they changing that ? You rarely see any of them on the road.

Btw my brother has the C43 convertible …. it’s a beautiful car.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 07:48 PM   #638
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

New 2-Series leaked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I see on their website the C,E and SL …. Are they changing that ? You rarely see any of them on the road.

Btw my brother has the C43 convertible …. it’s a beautiful car.

The C and E are at end of model run, and S class convertible phased out with last gen. They will be replacing C and E coupe and convertible with one “in between” model and not replacing the S convertible - in some ways going back to what they did 15-20 years ago with the CLK. Think new one will be called CLE.

Believe the new SL is on same platform as AMG GT and wouldn’t surprise me if GT convertible goes away leaving just the GT coupe and SL roadster. This is just my guess though - haven’t seen any official news on this one. [edit: found a few articles that suggest this is true - new GT coming and will be coupe only, SL replaces the old GTC]

In matter of a few years they will have gone from SLK, SL, GTC + C, E, S convertibles (6 models) to only 2 with CLE and SL
Old 05-22-2023, 08:08 PM   #639
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
The C and E are at end of model run, and S class convertible phased out with last gen. They will be replacing C and E coupe and convertible with one “in between” model and not replacing the S convertible - in some ways going back to what they did 15-20 years ago with the CLK. Think new one will be called CLE.

Believe the new SL is on same platform as AMG GT and wouldn’t surprise me if GT convertible goes away leaving just the GT coupe and SL roadster. This is just my guess though - haven’t seen any official news on this one. [edit: found a few articles that suggest this is true - new GT coming and will be coupe only, SL replaces the old GTC]

In matter of a few years they will have gone from SLK, SL, GTC + C, E, S convertibles (6 models) to only 2 with CLE and SL
And TBD about the Z4 when it comes to the end of its model run. But, the manual is supposed to be available next March before the EOP.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 08:31 PM   #640
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
And TBD about the Z4 when it comes to the end of its model run. But, the manual is supposed to be available next March before the EOP.

Pretty sure BMW will not replace the Z4