carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 09-05-2018, 07:11 PM   #611
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
- front end looks like the mouth has been sewn shut
When I first saw pics of the 3, I didn't like it from any angle- esp the front. Also thought the greenhouse looked out of proportion. But, now that I've seen a bunch in person, I actually really like the design. It actually might be one of my favorite 4 door vehicles design-wise now. The ultra-clean and modern design is what does it for me I think. Think red and grey are my favorite colors on it.

Also really liked the interior design when I sat in it. Very zen-like. Dealing with the screen for almost everything would be a downside for me as well though. And the whole Tesla roller coaster would be a bit unsettling. My current thought is that I might be willing to try it in a year or so:
-early kinks will have been worked out
-The effects of increasing their production levels and handling higher service volumes will be known
-Likely lots of little UI improvements to make the singe screen more palatable.

The downside will be the loss of tax credits but my guess is that they'll make some changes to packaging / increase the use of referral bonuses to make the total price come close to what it does today.
-
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 07:16 PM   #612
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
Yeah, I'm not trying to talk you into one. I'm just saying, it's not a logical choice. It's about deciding that instant torque is your thing, and you must have one immediately despite it being a huge waste of money.

And for me, commuting into the city often hitting stop-and-go traffic. My use case is very different than a sports car.
I actually think for someone who has a driving commute, it is quite a logical choice. An EV will be good for that grind, not to mention the driving aids that have gotta be far ahead of the competition, bugs notwithstanding. Coming from a knife-edge, focused Cayman R, an ancient (no matter how loved) e46 or a beat up e91, it is going to be a huge upgrade for you. The torque, the smoothness, the quiet.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 08:08 PM   #613
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
ZBB and rumatt--do you see anywhere on your account page an indication that free supercharging is enabled? I want to make sure it is, particularly before the 9/16 deadline, but I don't see any obvious confirmation.
Mine shows nothing. I emailed my sales guy asking if it was applied and he said yes. So at least I have documentation.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 08:12 PM   #614
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
ZBB and rumatt--do you see anywhere on your account page an indication that free supercharging is enabled? I want to make sure it is, particularly before the 9/16 deadline, but I don't see any obvious confirmation.
I didn’t order a P, so not getting free supercharging...

Did you use your own referral code? If so, do you see the referral credit on your account?
Old 09-05-2018, 10:26 PM   #615
JST

Yes, and no. Which is weirding me out. And I want to correct it if possible.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 12:20 PM   #616
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
I'll just put this here:

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/09/06/...mw-car-lineup/

"Tesla Model 3 outsells entire BMW car lineup in August
Model 3 easily outpaced its German car competition"
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 02:20 PM   #617
rumatt
Mugwump

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
"Tesla Model 3 outsells entire BMW car lineup in August
Model 3 easily outpaced its German car competition"
Wow. Can that be true?
Old 09-06-2018, 02:28 PM   #618
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
Wow. Can that be true?
Looks plausible given the numbers. It's not exactly apples to apples since the Tesla sales figure represents a lot of pent up demand. But if they're still selling at this level in a year, that will be very interesting.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 10:21 PM   #619
rumatt
Mugwump

Ignoring the lawsuit aspect, this is interesting. They theory is that the Tesla was on auto pilot following a slow car. The slow car changed lanes and the Tesla accelerated into the back of a stopped fire truck. Oops.

Also interesting... Tesla has all the data about what happened - when your hands were on the wheel, when you brakes, etc.

https://apnews.com/3f1ac72f186d45cdbfac7dbb04907b11

Last edited by rumatt; 09-06-2018 at 10:58 PM.
Old 09-07-2018, 04:44 AM   #620
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
Got a call from a different Tesla person today — this time to schedule delivery. I took the earliest day, which is Mon 10th at 4pm.
So the IDA (Vegas guy) called on Wednesday. Seems my delivery delays were caused by him not scheduling delivery with me. Because no delivery was scheduled, the car sat someplace in the distribution network, and logistics never received the trigger to send it to the local delivery center. The woman that called on Tues said she was from logistics, and she put me on the delivery calendar.

Looks like I drew an IDA that didn’t know what he was doing. On one call with him, he mentioned this was his first delivery in OH...