carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 02-26-2019, 06:32 AM   #121
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Yeah but if its like my 2017, they bundled suspension/steering under "Chassis" and transmission/throttle" under "Drivetrain". Equ wants to configure the suspension and steering separately which they finally implemented in 2018 models as "Sport Individual".
Right. That would be nice. Must be able to code it...
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 04:23 PM   #122
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
That’s cool - I don’t have sport+ on my current x3 but on my f10 I remember it just affected the transmission shift behavior. What does sport+ do to the steering on your car - does it make it heavier than sport mode?
Sorry my error, I checked today and the sport plus option is only available on the Transmission and the engine, the Steering and suspension (I do have the Dynamic suspension) only allow Comfort and sport.

The other programmable option on this screen that you can adjust is if the seat bolsters tighten when in Sport mode.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 04:40 PM   #123
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF View Post
Sorry my error, I checked today and the sport plus option is only available on the Transmission and the engine, the Steering and suspension (I do have the Dynamic suspension) only allow Comfort and sport.

The other programmable option on this screen that you can adjust is if the seat bolsters tighten when in Sport mode.
That reminds me- I think the F10s with adaptive suspension had a "comfort+" mode- sounds like the current 5 no longer has that?
robg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 08:02 PM   #124
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
That reminds me- I think the F10s with adaptive suspension had a "comfort+" mode- sounds like the current 5 no longer has that?
Oh yeah ... I forgot about that, I had that in one of my F10’s but thinking about it you really don’t need it in the new one. The ride is so much better, the runflats don’t feel nearly as hard as they used too.

Not to sidetrack this thread but I love my new 5er ... it is such a great car.

Last edited by Alan; 02-27-2019 at 06:09 AM.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:07 PM   #125
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
My 2011 F10 has the adaptive... The modes are 'comfort', 'normal' and 'sport'. I believe 'sport plus' firmness is the same as sport (perhaps throttle too) but adds DTC (mid-setting). You cannot have 'comfort' (softest) and DTC at the same time, I guess BMW don't think you should be having too much on a bumpy snowy road... But really, it's for grip..

Actually the tech in my f10 that is the first year of its kind is stunningly similar to the f30 LCI. I do like the rocker switch to change modes. I can find it and use it haptically without looking, something I can't say for the buttons that Porsche has strewn around and below the sightline.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 09:25 PM   #126
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
My 2011 F10 has the adaptive... The modes are 'comfort', 'normal' and 'sport'. I believe 'sport plus' firmness is the same as sport (perhaps throttle too) but adds DTC (mid-setting). You cannot have 'comfort' (softest) and DTC at the same time, I guess BMW don't think you should be having too much on a bumpy snowy road... But really, it's for grip..

Actually the tech in my f10 that is the first year of its kind is stunningly similar to the f30 LCI. I do like the rocker switch to change modes. I can find it and use it haptically without looking, something I can't say for the buttons that Porsche has strewn around and below the sightline.
I'm not a fan of the buttons on the center console of the Porsche's either, the Macan had a ton of them. The 911 has some too but it's not nearly as many.

Also now you have me thinking so i looked through my 2013 535 and 2015 550 window stickers ... the 535 had the Dynamic damper control so it didn't have comfort plus but the 550 had the Dynamic handling package (3 1/2 times the price) and it did have comfort plus.

I only have the Dynamic damper control on the 540 so maybe if I went with the whole Dynamic suspension thing it might have Comfort plus
Old 02-26-2019, 09:37 PM   #127
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF View Post
I'm not a fan of the buttons on the center console of the Porsche's either, the Macan had a ton of them. The 911 has some too but it's not nearly as many.

Also now you have me thinking so i looked through my 2013 535 and 2015 550 window stickers ... the 535 had the Dynamic damper control so it didn't have comfort plus but the 550 had the Dynamic handling package (3 1/2 times the price) and it did have comfort plus.

I only have the Dynamic damper control on the 540 so maybe if I went with the whole Dynamic suspension thing it might have Comfort plus
Oh interesting - yeah that could be. Forgot about the dynamic roll bars.
Old 02-26-2019, 10:23 PM   #128
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
What I was trying to say was that in the olden days (2011 f10 dynamic handling package) today's 'comfort' was called 'normal' and there was an even softer setting called 'comfort'. I think they've just renamed it 'comfort plus'. Funny, I just watched the latest Grand Tour episode where they showed a b5 alpina with 'comfort plus', which must be from the current 5-series.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 10:33 PM   #129
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
What I was trying to say was that in the olden days (2011 f10 dynamic handling package) today's 'comfort' was called 'normal' and there was an even softer setting called 'comfort'. I think they've just renamed it 'comfort plus'. Funny, I just watched the latest Grand Tour episode where they showed a b5 alpina with 'comfort plus', which must be from the current 5-series.
Funny- just watched that as well.
Old 02-26-2019, 10:38 PM   #130
JST

Holy crapballs I hate all of that dynamic chassis bullshit. Give me one setting. Make it the right one. Done.

I've got adjustable suspension on the Golf R. Only one setting feels like it should be on a Golf R; the rest are too floaty. The sportiest setting is...stiff, but not too stiff. In other words, it feels right.

The only utility in the multi-adjustable setting is that I can turn the sport exhaust setting down so the car is not as loud. It is not clear to me whether this just affects the fake engine noise inside or whether it also makes the car louder outside. Either way the difference is subtle and I don't really need that setting.

I've felt that way about these things dating back to the Probe GT from 1989, which had...3 modes? Put it in sport. If you don't want the car to be in sport, why did you buy the GT?
JST is offline   Reply With Quote