carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 02-13-2024, 10:53 AM   #71
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
Ironically, ever since my used 190E, I've never aligned a car. Even the ZHP which was a daily for 6 years always tracked true. I inly aligned the WJ Jeep GC and the LR4 recently because of suspension work. Perhaps I am naive, but I am not too worried about the roads. The area where I drive has pretty good roads (great for Boston standards).

JST brought up the Panamera. My issues with it other than it being even more money was the size. There is also the perception element. To non-car people, an M5 looks like 5 series.

One thing I will say is that on a car as loaded as a fully-optioned M5, a lot of the things that would cost an arm and a leg are free if they are even available.
Good feedback. I would need some extended driving time to see if I could live with a car this big (the M5 is not tiny either).

I get your point about the M5 serving its mission as under the radar too. Good point.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 08:08 PM   #72
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Is this an M5 thing, a BMW thing, or is something off?

When slowing down from basically any speed and at any rate of deceleration, I don't recall ever feeling a car downshift as the car slows. It just basically does its thing in the background. I don't recall this on any other automatic. The cars just come smoothly to a stop and when you are ready to go again, it is in 1st gear.

On the M5, I can feel the car down shift to 3rd, 2nd, etc. It's not abrupt, or jerky, but you notice it. It can feel sporty and cool but in efficient+comfort mode, you'd expect this to go away. Maybe this is a DCT thing and they wanted to mimic the effect? Also, as I slow and creep towards a parked car and I have a soft amount of pressure on the brake pedal, the car will downshift (2-1?) and all of a sudden it slows less slowly and I have to adjust the rate of braking.

Today I was stuck on some awful traffic where I was at a stop-crawl for an hour. I noticed that while on "efficient" the car would right away shift to 2nd, and as I needed to stop again, this noticeable 2-1 shift happened every time. I found that changing the car to Sport made it hold 1st gear through ~5mph and avoided this constant 1-2-1 shift.

Any thoughts? Do other BMW ZF 8-speed autos do this?
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 08:52 PM   #73
Alan
Carmudgeon

Enjoy the learning curve … it’s something new and different.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 09:00 PM   #74
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Enjoy the learning curve … it’s something new and different.
Old 02-26-2024, 09:20 PM   #75
robg
Carmudgeon

Driving and owning the M5

Quote:

When slowing down from basically any speed and at any rate of deceleration, I don't recall ever feeling a car downshift as the car slows. It just basically does its thing in the background. I don't recall this on any other automatic. The cars just come smoothly to a stop and when you are ready to go again, it is in 1st gear.

On the M5, I can feel the car down shift to 3rd, 2nd, etc. It's not abrupt, or jerky, but you notice it. It can feel sporty and cool but in efficient+comfort mode, you'd expect this to go away. Maybe this is a DCT thing and they wanted to mimic the effect? Also, as I slow and creep towards a parked car and I have a soft amount of pressure on the brake pedal, the car will downshift (2-1?) and all of a sudden it slows less slowly and I have to adjust the rate of braking.

Today I was stuck on some awful traffic where I was at a stop-crawl for an hour. I noticed that while on "efficient" the car would right away shift to 2nd, and as I needed to stop again, this noticeable 2-1 shift happened every time. I found that changing the car to Sport made it hold 1st gear through ~5mph and avoided this constant 1-2-1 shift.

Yes! I remember my old f10 5 series did this and it kind of bugged me. And yeah I used to do the same thing in traffic to keep it in 1st. I even wrote a letter to bmw at one point about this saying wtf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 09:30 PM   #76
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Yes! I remember my old f10 5 series did this and it kind of bugged me. And yeah I used to do the same thing in traffic to keep it in 1st. I even wrote a letter to bmw at one point about this saying wtf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ah! Good to know. Thanks!
Old 02-26-2024, 09:38 PM   #77
zach
swinging for the fences

Carmudgeonly Ride: 987, X7 M60i, e36 M3
Quote:

My X7 m60i does exactly the same thing. The old M50i didn't. Notably, the engine in the new one is an s68 rather than an N-something in the old one. It takes some getting used to but I'm ok with it.
zach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 09:42 PM   #78
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by zach View Post
My X7 m60i does exactly the same thing. The old M50i didn't. Notably, the engine in the new one is an s68 rather than an N-something in the old one. It takes some getting used to but I'm ok with it.
Thanks. Yeah, not a deal breaker, just different. But I bought the car used, so I wanted to be sure it wasn't some weird thing I should have checked out.
Old 02-26-2024, 10:04 PM   #79
SCA
Jaded

Further confirmation, my mother’s former F85 X5 (S63) did the same thing.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 06:13 AM   #80
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
Further confirmation, my mother’s former F85 X5 (S63) did the same thing.
Thanks!