carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 08-16-2018, 01:10 PM   #31
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
In my experience Nissan has made really bad seat selections for the last ~ 15 years. Every single one I've been in has been horrifically uncomfortable. Granted seat comfort is dependent on body size/shape and is ultimately very personal, but ...
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 04:00 PM   #32
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
I think that's perfectly cromulent
Yet not cromulent enough to assuage your concerns of having to subsequently embiggen.
Old 08-16-2018, 04:14 PM   #33
blee
Doctor Mudgeon

I am a big fan of owning a large vehicle and a smaller one. It doesn't sound like your home or life would benefit frequently from owning a truck, but I've thoroughly enjoyed mine to the point where I've owned it longer than any other vehicle in my history. It's nice to have a "dirty" cargo area.

Other alternative: Two weeks ago I rented a Caravan when we had family visiting from Korea. I was a little annoyed that I couldn't find one with a second-row bench, as I would really have liked the ability to haul eight people as opposed to seven, but otherwise I was impressed. Plenty of space for passengers, reasonable cargo area (although, logically/ironically, the more people you carry, the less space you have for their stuff), reasonable dynamics. I'd look at the Pacifica though.

Finally, the SUV/crossover solution. I like the Tahoe/Suburban but it may be overkill if you don't intend to use it much. Vehicles that slot one tier lower in size have evolved into solid choices all around -- unibody construction, comfortable enough for daily use, big enough for the average family to go wherever they need. I'm thinking Explorer-ish vehicles. If you can get over the abject anti-hipness of owning a (gasp) SUV, you might find them to be perfect for what you want.
blee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 12:24 PM   #34
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
So, um, what are the specs on your Golf R, Josh? And, is it going to go on the market?
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 02:32 PM   #35
jpgurl
Carmudgeon

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 MACH-E; '74 Austin Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
Haven't you for years promoted the merits of various Ford EcoBoost SUV things (Edge, Flex, etc, I can't keep those things straight)? Sounds like it's time to put your money where your mouth is At least they'll (probably) be cheap to own and operate.
This. Get a Ford Flex.

Cheap. Third row. Reliable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
“Can it transport 3 kids,* 2 adults, and luggage 4 hours to the beach?”
Yes.

We love ours. I know, I know... Looks like a box/ass/etc... It's very polarizing. But practical.
jpgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 03:05 PM   #36
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgurl View Post
This. Get a Ford Flex.

Cheap. Third row. Reliable.

Yes.

We love ours. I know, I know... Looks like a box/ass/etc... It's very polarizing. But practical.
I believe JST suggested the Flex to me more than once when looking for such a vehicle. We don't have one for stupid reasons, not because it isn't a near perfect vehicle for what it does well.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 04:03 PM   #37
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
has anyone test driven the honda accord 6MT? actually seems like it could be a option for my situation but guessing it does not drive that sporty.
Jeff_DML is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 04:10 PM   #38
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
So, um, what are the specs on your Golf R, Josh? And, is it going to go on the market?
2017 Golf R, just over 10K miles, Tornado Red. Has the DCC/ACC package, which was an option when I bought but I think is standard now.

I don't think it's really on the market for a while, though.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 05:47 PM   #39
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
My advice: Stang, the dark green Bullitt edition GT. Let the kids squish in the back.
A) I laughed when I read this

B) Ironically enough, the day I test drove the Tesla I first drove a Mustang GT.

Do not want.

I had a whole route planned, hopping from one dealer to the next - Mustang GT, Tesla Model 3, Miata, Camaro SS. But after the Tesla I went straight home. I was done.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 05:47 PM   #40
robg
Carmudgeon

MB R63 (if you can find one)
Dodge Charger SRT
robg is online now   Reply With Quote