carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 07-13-2021, 11:07 AM   #121
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
That sucks about the M240 but such good news they are both ok. Looks like the car did it’s job.

Congrats on one of the last F87’s. Do you know the story of how this one was still available. Reading the two boards all of the allocations were spoken for.

What are the specs? DCT Manual?
There were only three left in the entire country that were unspoken for (two manuals and one DCT). They initially wanted a manual with a sunroof since they are giving up the vert which was used solely as a around town auto, aka toy. They had to settle for a DCT with a sunroof. All three were equipped with the executive package. The two manuals were heavily equipped with port installed accessories. One pushing $9k in extras and the other pushing $6k. I have the build sheet for all three.

Edit: CA called it is already at port. Got there smoking fast… build date was 06/23. Was scheduled to arrive at the VPC on the 21st.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 11:08 AM   #122
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
It will be interesting to see if the current M2s hold their value in the future the way that the 1M has. Is it an “end of a golden era” type of car or not?

On the one hand, the M2 has always seemed overwrought to me. With Supra like scoops and vents and widgets all over the front fascia. On the other, compared to the way things are shaping up now with the future 2 and current M3/M4, it does not look terrible.

Assuming BMW engines always get better (they do), then it’s down to how well the all new 2 series drives.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 11:36 AM   #123
dan
redefined

Yeah I'm probably just gonna end up buying a used 240 rather than a used M2 next year
Old 07-13-2021, 12:42 PM   #124
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
Assuming BMW engines always get better (they do), then it’s down to how well the all new 2 series drives.
Exactly…

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan View Post
Yeah I'm probably just gonna end up buying a used 240 rather than a used M2 next year
The B58 is a great engine. Some actually prefer it to the S55.
Old 07-13-2021, 12:59 PM   #125
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
The sunroof was a must for me. I am happy they found a allocation with a sunroof. Weirdly enough the F87 is hard to find with one.
Old 07-13-2021, 01:09 PM   #126
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
Well, they were intending to keep the car indefinitely and were certainly stunned to have to immediately shop for a new replacement. I can confidently reassure you that the 2 vert is built extremely well.
That is a major bummer. Knock wood, my 2 has been completely trouble free for 4 years and 17k miles. Although, as we know, years 6+ are where things tend to fall apart with BMWs. Hoping to push that out with even lighter mileage now that I have the Mazda

Quote:
I think you will be very disappointed with the steering, coming from the 1 series. Apparently some folks feel they have ameliorated that with some M2 bits. And the LSD is absolutely essential, IMO.
wdc330i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 03:52 PM   #127
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
Quote:
Hopefully by that time the market will have adjusted back to reality. Buying a car now new or used if you don't have to is insanity. I feel super lucky to have worked out the deal I did for mine, well with the help of my friend that worked there, before this shit storm happened.
Old 07-13-2021, 06:41 PM   #128
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
Hopefully by that time the market will have adjusted back to reality. Buying a car now new or used if you don't have to is insanity. I feel super lucky to have worked out the deal I did for mine, well with the help of my friend that worked there, before this shit storm happened.
Yes, it is an absolutely horrible time to purchase a vehicle. I can fully confirm that as I am still helping with the M2C acquisition for a second day. FYI, What a PITA it is dealing with a dealer (out of state) that you typically do not deal with. This dealer would not DT with our dealer and stated that the vehicle was spoken for. Our CA hated to lose the sale, but also hated for us to lose the car and advised that I call this dealer to confirm (call their bluff) he was right… they did not want to give it up, even in return for a G82 M4 allocation.
Old 07-13-2021, 08:41 PM   #129
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
Yes, it is an absolutely horrible time to purchase a vehicle. I can fully confirm that as I am still helping with the M2C acquisition for a second day. FYI, What a PITA it is dealing with a dealer (out of state) that you typically do not deal with. This dealer would not DT with our dealer and stated that the vehicle was spoken for. Our CA hated to lose the sale, but also hated for us to lose the car and advised that I call this dealer to confirm (call their bluff) he was right… they did not want to give it up, even in return for a G82 M4 allocation.
Yikes. So, where does it stand now?
wdc330i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 10:11 PM   #130
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Yikes. So, where does it stand now?
Selling dealer wants to be paid in full prior to ever providing a PCD date. They already have a deposit from us for the vehicle. This is a totally new one to me and I have done plenty of performance center deliveries. I am also a former center employee so I am miffed by this tactic. It is going over like a lead ballon with me.

Edit: Typically the vehicle must be paid for 14 days prior to arrival at the performance center. The selling center must complete and send a release form to the performance center after payment/financing/leasing/paper work completed.

Last edited by SCA; 07-13-2021 at 10:44 PM.