carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 09-27-2022, 12:36 PM   #3221
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
Looks like a really nice car. PPF from the a very highly skilled shop.

Miles look good which means it’s a driver. And CPO still.
My 0.02, it is best to always buy a “driver” if you intend to actually drive it, otherwise a garage queen tends to continue being exactly that. Per my own experience, a creampuff, super low mileage car ends up staying that way and mainly because every time you add additional miles you tend to feel guilty for doing so. You also seem to live in constant fear of someone royally screwing it up for you.

Edit: A very recent example of someone royally screwing it up for you… https://youtu.be/c6jomRCiNP0

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan View Post
Bit of an issue with this statement, considering what happened in Texas in Feb of 2021.
Truth… I wonder where my car was during that mess? Of course as much as Houston floods I think that was more of a concern during the PPI.

Last edited by SCA; 09-27-2022 at 12:59 PM.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 12:39 PM   #3222
dan
redefined

Most likely these cars were not driven during the storm, as big cities pretty much shut down. But saying that Texas doesn't have harsh winter (weeks/days, at least) is a big stretch. It's certainly no south florida/ southern california mild
Old 09-27-2022, 12:58 PM   #3223
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Most likely these cars were not driven during the storm, as big cities pretty much shut down. But saying that Texas doesn't have harsh winter (weeks/days, at least) is a big stretch. It's certainly no south florida/ southern california mild
Where the owner of my 997.2 resided would typically flood and a owner of a Houston Porsche Indy had a large warehouse out of the flood zones that he would allow PCA members to store their cars there during major storms. A nice gesture that has also benefited his business.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 01:32 PM   #3224
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
South Florida might beg to differ over the next few days. Frankly, no place seems entirely safe from extreme weather now.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 01:40 PM   #3225
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
My 0.02, it is best to always buy a “driver” if you intend to actually drive it, otherwise a garage queen tends to continue being exactly that. Per my own experience, a creampuff, super low mileage car ends up staying that way and mainly because every time you add additional miles you tend to feel guilty for doing so. You also seem to live in constant fear of someone royally screwing it up for you.

Edit: A very recent example of someone royally screwing it up for you… https://youtu.be/c6jomRCiNP0

Truth… I wonder where my car was during that mess? Of course as much as Houston floods I think that was more of a concern during the PPI.
I’ve had terrible experiences with low mileage cars.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 01:56 PM   #3226
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
South Florida might beg to differ over the next few days. Frankly, no place seems entirely safe from extreme weather now.
yeah exactly
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 11:44 AM   #3227
lemming
Western Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
yeah exactly
The undercarriage of SoCal cars always amazes me.

Sure, there’s oxidation and stuff. But it’s not the rusty bloodbath that the undercarriages of my cars looked like back East. Maybe I shouldn’t have driven my cars in the winter, but I’m just not that person.

Anyway, there’s a high price to pay for that.

On the 9A2 powered cars, the turbos are set so low in the engine that the road salt and debris just f*ck them up prematurely.

I guess my point is, I’d not buy a higher end car from the East Coast ever again if I can avoid it.

Old 09-29-2022, 11:51 AM   #3228
Nick M3
Relic

Quote:
The undercarriage of SoCal cars always amazes me.

Sure, there’s oxidation and stuff. But it’s not the rusty bloodbath that the undercarriages of my cars looked like back East. Maybe I shouldn’t have driven my cars in the winter, but I’m just not that person.

Anyway, there’s a high price to pay for that.

On the 9A2 powered cars, the turbos are set so low in the engine that the road salt and debris just f*ck them up prematurely.

I guess my point is, I’d not buy a higher end car from the East Coast ever again if I can avoid it.
New Jersey / PA and up are my line of demarcation. But I'd prefer further south. My E53's Carolina undercarriage is an absolute thing of beauty. It literally never saw salt before I owned it.

California cars are a bit of a mixed bag, IMO. The undercarriages look great, but no one can afford garages, so low-mid tier cars get trashed up top.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 11:59 AM   #3229
lemming
Western Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3 View Post
New Jersey / PA and up are my line of demarcation. But I'd prefer further south. My E53's Carolina undercarriage is an absolute thing of beauty. It literally never saw salt before I owned it.

California cars are a bit of a mixed bag, IMO. The undercarriages look great, but no one can afford garages, so low-mid tier cars get trashed up top.
That’s a good set of addendums for common sense rules for buying cars. Thanks, Nick.

The sun is brutal is just destroys paint and plastics.

Old 09-29-2022, 12:16 PM   #3230
Nick M3
Relic

Quote:
That’s a good set of addendums for common sense rules for buying cars. Thanks, Nick.

The sun is brutal is just destroys paint and plastics.
Yeah. It's especially challenging for cars that are *currently* in real demand, but were once ignored. Like, say, E30 M3s. The $15k rule that was probably sound for 1995-2005.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote