carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 10-23-2018, 09:42 AM   #881
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
What voltage are you getting? If not in the 230s, you will want to get your electrician back out — the voltage shouldn’t drop that much...
I was at 237

One question is, how do they define miles? Is it theoretical miles or actual miles?

I ask because so far I'm getting around 340 watts/mile on my commute. This is with driving smoothly 70-75 on the highway - and I still haven't floored the throttle yet. That seems pretty bad. It puts me at 220 miles for a full battery, and if you use only 80-to-20% for your daily commute that's 132 miles. When I start flooring it I go down to what, 80?

Seems I'm not the only one

Quote:
When you get V9, just add the Tesla Waze site to the browser and bring that up when you are on the freeway. Just google it and you can get the link to bookmark...
That's neat... I think? I'll try it.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 10:49 AM   #882
JST

The “mph” charging isn’t related to actual usage; it’s just based on notional “rated range,” which was 300 w/mile for the Model S but I think is lower for the Model 3.

I am getting 22 mph charging out of the commercial 14-50 at the office, so that’s only putting out 210V at 32 amps.

340 w/mile is definitely on the high side, but I’d expect that to improve as your tires wear a little. And that is so weather and terrain dependent that I wouldn’t draw any conclusions for a couple thousand miles. But I suspect the Pilot 4S tires are hard on range.

My Model S would average between 340 and 280 w/mile in everyday driving, depending on freeway mix. Haven’t had the Model 3 long enough to see how it compares.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 03:45 PM   #883
rumatt
Mugwump

Interesting... I'll check my charge rate tonight, after letting it go for a while.
Old 10-23-2018, 05:40 PM   #884
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
I liked the white in person. I don't think those pictures do it justice.

I personally think the wood looks stupid and out of place. But from a functional point of view it's certainly less glare-ey than that white.

How are you liking the seats? They were significantly softer than the black leather. Do they provide enough support?
Interesting - didn't realize there was a difference in comfort between black and white seats. Is that a known thing?

Your "doughnut" description rang true of my experience riding in a model 3. There was something not quite comfortable about them that I couldn't quite put my finger on (although they were not overly firm).

I'd be very tempted to get white as well due to the contrast, but good point on that white trim piece potentially causing glare. To me, the wood kinda works. Its kind of "modernist" and "zen". I actually can't think of what else would be preferable. You wouldn't want anything glossy or too reflective (like brushed aluminum). Matte carbon fiber maybe but that would also seem a bit out of place. I do wish they'd offer another choice instead of that gloss black plastic used on the center console (even just matte black plastic would be better on those pieces)
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 06:04 PM   #885
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
I'd be very tempted to get white as well due to the contrast, but good point on that white trim piece potentially causing glare. To me, the wood kinda works. Its kind of "modernist" and "zen". I actually can't think of what else would be preferable. You wouldn't want anything glossy or too reflective (like brushed aluminum). Matte carbon fiber maybe but that would also seem a bit out of place. I do wish they'd offer another choice instead of that gloss black plastic used on the center console (even just matte black plastic would be better on those pieces)
Looks easy to wrap

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 06:20 PM   #886
rumatt
Mugwump

Yeah a number of people have observed that the white is softer than the black. It feels softer when on first touch.

I charged again tonight and hit 27 mph, so very close to the theoretical max of 30. Not sure what was happening yesterday but whatever.

I'm still averaging around 335 w/mile, which sucks. We'll see if it changes.
Old 10-23-2018, 08:57 PM   #887
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
I like the white seats. Hate the white dash... I love the wood dash, and the black seats are just ok. Really wish there was a tan or brown option...

As for your Wh/mile... you are new to Tesla, so it could take you a week or so to get the hang of the acceleration and regen. My first month in my Model S had significantly higher usage than the second month. Once I learned how to gauge regen so i didn’t need to brake much, it started to drop. Fast starts also eat into your efficiency, and I bet you are having fun off the line ;-)
Old 10-23-2018, 09:53 PM   #888
rumatt
Mugwump

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
As for your Wh/mile... you are new to Tesla, so it could take you a week or so to get the hang of the acceleration and regen.
I'm definitely not braking too much. I have barely touched them at all. It's crazy.

What I might be doing is using regen too much, by letting off the accelerator too much when I'm intending to coast, not brake. That might help a little.

I'm having some fun off the line but not much. I'm going easy for a couple hundred miles.
Old 10-24-2018, 02:58 AM   #889
rumatt
Mugwump

Interesting poll over at TMC

Not a scientific poll I know... But a pretty high level of satisfaction with EV's among owners.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thre...o-back.132898/
Old 10-24-2018, 06:42 PM   #890
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Looks easy to wrap
Definitely. And I think ZBB did that with his car already. Just seems like an obvious improvement they could make (sounds like a lot of customers end up wrapping it). Hopefully glossy black plastic has run its course.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote