carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 01-04-2019, 12:49 PM   #1081
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
January 2019 Fastrack:
#25733 Class Tesla Model 3 AWD Performance
Per the SAC, add the following listing to Appendix A:
BS Tesla
Model 3 (AWD Performance)(2018)

In BS, it will compete against the 6th gen SS 1LE Camaros, 2015+ Shelby Mustang GT350s, M2s, & F80/82 M3/4s.
Ha ha.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 08:01 AM   #1082
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
That's where it belongs, honestly.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 09:14 AM   #1083
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
January 2019 Fastrack:
I'm really curious to see how technology disrupts (ruins?) racing in the years to come. Things like...

1. Track mode gets really, really good. You still need to drive but the car is now making some decisions for you.

2. Track mode become fully programmable. Instead of debating how to adjust your shocks for a given surface you debate how you should adjust your track mode programming for that service

3. Track mode become GPS enabled, enabling course specific programming. "I think I'll program in a little more brake-induced rotation into corner 4"

4. Track and auto pilot start to merge. You can steer and brake if you want. Or the car will do it for you.

5. The car learns from one run to the next. After each run you tell the car what should be improved... It replays the last run with those small tweaks for the next run.

6. Track mode customizations can be exchanged. You can now show up to a race and buy some help. You can also exchange the data between runs or heats, allowing people from earlier heats to provide a full dump of course data to cars in later heats. Before my first run, my car knows exactly where every cone is, how the surface friction varies, what steering angles worked for you...

Last edited by rumatt; 01-05-2019 at 09:30 AM.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 09:18 AM   #1084
JST

Maybe with more tire. No way it can run with Shelbys and 1LEs.

The normal AWD car is probably the one to run, if it’s still in DS. Though it’s traction control might cripple it.
Old 01-05-2019, 09:20 AM   #1085
JST

Technology has been disrupting racing since racing. I’m more interested to see what reactionary rules are passed to prevent that disruption.
Old 01-05-2019, 09:45 AM   #1086
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Technology has been disrupting racing since racing. I’m more interested to see what reactionary rules are passed to prevent that disruption.
I'm more excited to go the other way. How many years until solo 2 has its first fully autonomous vehicle class? Show up, walk the course with your smart phone app, upload the data to your car and send it in its way.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 10:07 AM   #1087
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
That's where it belongs, honestly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Maybe with more tire. No way it can run with Shelbys and 1LEs.
I'd put it in AS or SS. To be sure it's absolutely buried.

Quote:
The normal AWD car is probably the one to run, if it’s still in DS. Though it’s traction control might cripple it.
Until August 20, 2019 when Tesla zaps out an over the air update that gives it Track mode, giving its performance envelope a huge boost, leading to protests, screaming, disqualifications, and worse.

Yes, technology has been disrupting racing since the dawn of days and will continue to do so as long as there is racing. That's good. For high dollar pro efforts, sky's the limit is good. For amateur, grass roots stuff, there's a limit.

OTA updates that change a car's performance envelope are bad for Solo. Very, very bad. The SEB/BOD and some of the ACs needs to create a plan to deal with them. Until then, the cars capable of receiving them need to be quarantined from the rest.

I need to get off my ass and write a letter.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 10:08 AM   #1088
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
I'm more excited to go the other way. How many years until solo 2 has its first fully autonomous vehicle class? Show up, walk the course with your smart phone app, upload the data to your car and send it in its way.
Hopefully never. Start up an Autonomous Vehicle Club of America and have at it, though.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 01:27 PM   #1089
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Hopefully never. Start up an Autonomous Vehicle Club of America and have at it, though.
Seriously. Then we can make everything in life a coding/machine-learning/AI competition.. That's not a driving contest, that's a coding contest.

Would our computing overlords like to make everything in life a coding/machine learning competition?
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 02:23 PM   #1090
JST

I guess I don’t see why OTA updates are that bad. Sure, *potentially* a game changing OTA update could be released that shakes up a car’s performance so much that it disrupts everyone’s expectations, but a) we’ve seen no evidence of that because no one actually knows what track mode can do, and b) how is that any different than a manufacturer releasing a new car that suddenly dominates a class?

As for burying or quarantining Teslas...sure, that seems like a good way to drive new interest and participation in the sport.