carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 10-25-2017, 05:52 PM   #321
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
Which is why the wording of the rule is crap.

They need to define "manufacturer option" and "dealer option."
Sounds like the missing language in the rule is that the it would only apply to option packages listed in an appendix. So the LPO coded brake package option on the 6th gen Camaros may wind up being okay, but the LPO “performance suspension” may not. Or it may be legal, but bump the car into another class. And older cars where there’s no documentation may never get the benefit.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 08:53 PM   #322
Biggins
Crotchety

Carmudgeonly Ride: 22 Tiguan, 11 328i
I honestly do not understand the rulebook for "Street" with the new updates this week. Between the options you can or maybe cannot add parts, SM engine swaps, and the absurd octane limits, I kind of want to gut, get Hoosiers, and FI with my FRS.

I have no idea what I want to do. I'm pretty sure I'll be playing in DS with my new MCS shocks for normal events.

I really don't have any suggestions for you clyde... I'd say just wait a couple more montths for the rules/cars to get understood, haha. I think a Camaro or Mustang will suit you!
Biggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 10:12 PM   #323
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggins View Post
... my new MCS shocks....
Those aren't going to work in the spec class.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 10:14 AM   #324
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
I honestly do not understand the rulebook for "Street" with the new updates this week. Between the options you can or maybe cannot add parts, SM engine swaps, and the absurd octane limits, I kind of want to gut, get Hoosiers, and FI with my FRS.

I have no idea what I want to do. I'm pretty sure I'll be playing in DS with my new MCS shocks for normal events.

I really don't have any suggestions for you clyde... I'd say just wait a couple more montths for the rules/cars to get understood, haha. I think a Camaro or Mustang will suit you!
The problems I have with the rulebook and proposals these days are the sloppy editing so the rules and rules proposals as published are not what they really are. This part was better 10 years ago.

The explanations in Fastrack and SEB and *AC members being free to talk on forums these days makes it a lot better than 10 years ago when there was never an open explanation and those groups couldn't speak publicly. But if you're not 100% plugged in and only have the book and Fastrack, you don't know what you're dealing with.

Overall, it's better now in that process sense, so I'll take it.

I'm driving the FoST through the winter and will do something in February or March. Maybe April.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
Those aren't going to work in the spec class.
Yeah. If I had a twin that wasn't already full tilt STX, SSC seems like the easiest of all the buttons. Those MCS shocks you'd have to resell or not.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 10-26-2017, 07:14 PM   #325
Biggins
Crotchety

I follow along on the other important forum and enjoy the "inside" info, but it's still a bit much to follow all that is going on...

I've had a "SSC" car for the past two years with nearly identical parts (TRD) to what they picked. If I didn't already have 2 sets of rims, 4 different bars, and a steal of a deal on the MCS, I would be in SSC. Since I would have to buy all the same parts I already have on the car, I am taking my chances in DS next season with the baller shocks. I'll be on a very limited budget and schedule next season anyways.

You could try your ST in the new STH class?
Old 10-27-2017, 07:14 AM   #326
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
I'm not sure the rule writing is really any sloppier than it was ten years ago. There are just way more venues for people to interpret them in a tortured manner.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 11:51 PM   #327
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
You could try your ST in the new STH class?
I am not running he FoST again. I am getting a Camaro. I just don’t know which one or what class I’ll run it in. Could be running against you in DS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
I'm not sure the rule writing is really any sloppier than it was ten years ago. There are just way more venues for people to interpret them in a tortured manner.
I don’t think the rule writing is sloppier, but their publication in Fastrack is. It’s an editing thing. Not that big of a deal except for the excess consternation it causes.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 12-20-2017, 10:31 AM   #328
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
I am not running he FoST again. I am getting a Camaro. I just don’t know which one or what class I’ll run it in. Could be running against you in DS.
I started budgeting for the 2018 competition season the other day and didn't really like what I saw. Then I thought about some other significant recent and near-future expenses. And...I don't know...

The turbo is looking much more attractive as a 1 or 2 year option. Better, maybe keeping the FoST another year and finding a codrive.

I really want out of the FoST now. Just done.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 12-20-2017, 11:19 AM   #329
Biggins
Crotchety

Quote:
I started budgeting for the 2018 competition season the other day and didn't really like what I saw. Then I thought about some other significant recent and near-future expenses. And...I don't know...

The turbo is looking much more attractive as a 1 or 2 year option. Better, maybe keeping the FoST another year and finding a codrive.

I'm facing a similar dilemma I think mine is more schedule-related though. I only have three big events on my list for this season, and they are all before the first official day of summer and no ProSolos.

If you're truly over the FoST, it might be time to pick up something to make you happier and keep you interested even if it's not what you really want? Sorry about the increased expenses. I keep finding out that my plans never seem to go how I intend.

I'm keeping an eye on the rulebook before I officially decide what I'm doing this year.
Old 12-20-2017, 11:25 AM   #330
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:

But then, this: https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ngId=472343450

Used at local dealer
2018 1SS 1LE
1,186 miles
$39,490 autotrader asking price

Listing claims it was a trade for a ZL1, which makes me guess it was broken in hard, but who cares as long as it wasn't bent.

aaarrrgggghhhh

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?