carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 10-09-2020, 07:23 PM   #1
Alan
Carmudgeon

These signs don't stick

My youngest is going through virtual drivers ed and as the parents we now need to do the on road training which we did anyway but now we need to keep track of the hours.

First day of virtual drivers ed the teacher told my daughter she should purchase signs for the car so she did ... I guess it's something new but is a good thing so she purchases these signs (see link below) and none of them stick to our cars ...

They are magnetic, we tested it with our extra freezer and they stick ... why not on the 540 or Q7 ...

BTW my wife tried it out on the Cayman and it stuck .. yes she is still alive because I wanted to kill her for trying it out

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 07:48 PM   #2
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
My youngest is going through virtual drivers ed and as the parents we now need to do the on road training which we did anyway but now we need to keep track of the hours.

First day of virtual drivers ed the teacher told my daughter she should purchase signs for the car so she did ... I guess it's something new but is a good thing so she purchases these signs (see link below) and none of them stick to our cars ...

They are magnetic, we tested it with our extra freezer and they stick ... why not on the 540 or Q7 ...

BTW my wife tried it out on the Cayman and it stuck .. yes she is still alive because I wanted to kill her for trying it out

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
My 16yo had to do the classroom instruction online this summer. That was a hoot. My daughter didn't like me to be in the room because the stuff the woman was telling them was...well, there was a lot that needed correcting.

On top of classroom instruction, Maryland requires kids to also have at least six hours of in car instruction with a certified instructor plus 60 hours of on the road practice time with a licensed adult driver of which at least 10 hours must be at night.

Both my kids used apps to log their hours. When the older one got her license last year, she forgot to bring the printout of her hours, so we quickly ran to a FedEx Office where she emailed it to herself so we could print it and barely got back to MVA in time to make her appointment window. It was then that I learned definitively that all she needed was a form (available at the MVA) for me to sign swearing that she drove a minimum of 60 supervised hours including at least 10 hours at night. No further log required.

While logging those hours, the older one did not want to drive without those stickers/magnets on the car. The younger one was adamantly opposed to driving with them on the car. She thought that people would see the stickers and drive extra aggressively around her, cut her off, etc. And she's probably not wrong.

Alan, are they actually required in NY now, or did the instructor just recommend it.

If magnets are not sticking to certain panels on the car, um, you know that magnets only stick to metals like steel, nickel, cobolt, and iron, right? They don't stick to "weak" metals like aluminum, copper, brass, silver, and gold. They also don't stick to non-metal things like fiberglass, plastic, or carbon fiber.

Some cars use different materials for different panels. Front doors may be one material, rear doors another, and fenders and/or quarters yet another material.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 07:49 PM   #3
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
I would guess Aluminum body panels
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 07:51 PM   #4
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
Quote:
The hood, trunk, trunk lid, engine cross-member, rear side-members, roof, and doors of the BMW 5 Series sedan are constructed from aluminum.

https://www.lightmetalage.com/news/i...-architecture/