carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 01-23-2021, 09:46 PM   #161
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Congrats! They are great cars. Nice on finding the 9mi one.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 09:19 AM   #162
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Congrats FC! Sounds like a great deal and everyone's happy. The ambient lighting in the wife's Fusion makes the center cono;e cup holders a little warm, but far from hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post

The other part is how after the deal was in place and we were waiting for everything to finish and be able to leave with the car, the salesman kept telling me when no one else was around, "Your dad has really good credit. This is called a 'spot buy' when you can actually drive the car home the same day. It never happens. If your dad tries to teach you lessons about money, listen to him. If he doesn't make him."
This reminds me of the day I bought my 1999 A6. Went to the dealer and found this beautiful, detailed and prepped red A6 in the dealer's showroom floor. There was a guy and his wife with one salesman, and they were talking a little loud about how they could come up with money and deal to buy this red A6. (I got a nasty look from the dude when I got into "his" car on the showroom floor) I asked another salesman to get his GM and lets talk about buying a car in an office. I told them how much I wanted to pay for the A6, told them I would leave them my 1996 Exploder 4 door, and they could tell me Monday what it was worth (to put into the deal or not, it was 35 months into its lease) the GM ran my social security number, and agreed to the deal.

I had already looked over the A6 for known issues from VW Vortex, and this whole deal started around 4pm on a Saturday afternoon. They pulled the car out of the showroom, threw a temp paper in the rear window and we drove it home.

Went back the following Tuesday to finish the paperwork. The salesman who was with the first couple, was laughing on Tuesday night about how pissed the couple was that really couldn't afford the car.
Old 01-24-2021, 11:43 AM   #163
TD
Founder emeritus

We just helped one of our daughter’s best friends pick a car and they ended up picking the GTI as well, albeit without a stick. It’s a 2021 SE. Purchased just yesterday. Not sure how I feel about the rims but I really like the body in white. VWs pull off white better than just about anything else. Here it is with our daughter’s GTI, which is a 2017.

TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 03:46 PM   #164
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Cool. Obviously it looks exactly the same. I also wasn't in love with the black wheels. They look good, it'd just the black color I don't care for too much. I will say though, that the black mirrors and glass roof do help break up all the white you would otherwise have.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 06:09 PM   #165
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
GTI Waffle thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan View Post
That's wild

Yea, it’s a PITA. A relic from the past that has likely held up due to support from auto dealer & insurance agent lobby. The added friction pushes folks to buy from local dealers. MA also has one of the highest share of customers that buy car insurance from agents because of the role they play in helping get cars registered, in the old days you had to go to an agents office to get the registration application physically signed by the agent as an authorized rep for the insurance carrier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post

The other part is how after the deal was in place and we were waiting for everything to finish and be able to leave with the car, the salesman kept telling me when no one else was around, "Your dad has really good credit. This is called a 'spot buy' when you can actually drive the car home the same day. It never happens. If your dad tries to teach you lessons about money, listen to him. If he doesn't make him."

It left an impression. Not so much about my dad, or the other dude, but about how cars are bought.

There’s a ton of pressure from management to “spot deliver” every car possible, sometimes the best you can do is to get the customer to “paper” the deal (sign all contracts) to make them mentally feel like they bought a car and are locked in, but it’s always preferred to have them take possession of the car so they can’t back out. With a lot of customers you can get an instant credit approval but sometimes if it’s after hours or weekend and the customers credit is marginal, you can’t get a system approval and need to wait for an underwriter to sign off. Some dealers will take a shot and let the customer take the car by signing a letter that they agree to come back if the loan isn’t approved or if the terms need to be modified. That usually works out fine, but sometimes the customer won’t get approved and the dealer has to take the car back.
Old 01-25-2021, 09:36 AM   #166
FC
Solving problems

Dumb question. I'm trying to insure the GTI. Should the effective date of coverage be today, or should I make it the earliest I mate take delivery (Wednesday)?
Old 01-25-2021, 09:44 AM   #167
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
Dumb question. I'm trying to insure the GTI. Should the effective date of coverage be today, or should I make it the earliest I mate take delivery (Wednesday)?
I defer to Sarafil on insurance, esp in Massachusetts, but my default would be to insure as of the day it's titled in your name, regardless of delivery.

EDIT: I meant the date you purchase/signed the paperwork, not the date the title actually issues--sounds like Alan is saying the same thing, below, and he knows more than I do.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 09:48 AM   #168
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post

You need insurance for the date you actually are purchasing the vehicle. So if you are going Wednesday to sign the paperwork and pay for the vehicle that is the date you need insurance.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 10:27 AM   #169
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
You need insurance for the date you actually are purchasing the vehicle. So if you are going Wednesday to sign the paperwork and pay for the vehicle that is the date you need insurance.
That's what I did. I can always change it. But there is a near-zero chance we go before Wednesday, so it is insured as of midnight that morning.

To clarify, we already signed the paperwork, though. Should I change the date to today?

EDIT: Also, my policy (through Progressive), with the GTI as a 4th car, only went up $600/year.
Old 01-25-2021, 10:39 AM   #170
Alan
Carmudgeon

At this point do you officially own the vehicle ? If the vehicle is officially yours then you need to have Insurance though I would be VERY surprised a dealer would allow you to purchase the vehicle without insurance because you are financing through them and they would require an Insurance binder showing the Bank as Loss payee.

If by signing you mean you signed the purchase order but haven't officially signed all the paperwork needed for the purchase then you are fine.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote