carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 08-17-2010, 02:12 PM   #11
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Yeah, my initial plan was to get a new set of 710s, but the number of days where it's been unambiguously not rainy enough to risk driving to FedEx on R comps has been, to date, 1.

The autocross thing cuts both ways; on the one hand, I want decent tires. On the other, autocrossing tears the shit out of your street tires, so spending a monster premium for PS2s is hard to justify. I was thinking that made the AD-08s attractive, but I have no experience with them.

I can't keep the various Bridgestones straight, but I didn't really care for the OEM Bridgestones on either our WRX (RE070s?) or our 335 (but those were RFTs). I'd be willing to give the RE-11s a shot, I suppose.
My ZHP had RE040's and those were very good tires. Not quite PS2 good (especially in terms of comfort), but good.

I think the PS2's biggest advantage is that it is a great performance tire while remianing a good all around tire. It is by far the most comfortable performance tire I've driven on (they completely transformed the V70R for the better), they are great in the rain, and they are quiet too.

But autox changes things. It chews up tires.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 02:12 PM   #12
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:
Yeah, my initial plan was to get a new set of 710s, but the number of days where it's been unambiguously not rainy enough to risk driving to FedEx on R comps has been, to date, 1.
Stewart drove the GT3 out this Sunday on Hoosiers.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 02:18 PM   #13
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
Stewart drove the GT3 out this Sunday on Hoosiers.
That seems kind of suicidal.

I almost put the used 710s on the Porsche for Sunday's event, because on Saturday they were saying no rain. Then I had to bag the event because something came up, but I was glad when I woke up and it was pouring that I didn't have to change my tires back.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 03:40 PM   #14
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
Right. That's different.

From what I've heard of the PS2, they are pretty terrible with regards to abnormal wear from track/autox use.
I heard this as well. I thought JST had a dedicated set or sth, if this is for mixed use, I have no idea.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 04:02 PM   #15
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
I've driven on PS2s and they're okay, but I never understood the hype. For the money, I wasn't impressed.

The RE-11s wear like iron and they're pretty quiet on the street. They have a lot of tread depth so they're a tad on the squirmy side when new.

I think the AD-08s are some of the most expensive tires out there, but they are known to be very precise, durable and good in the rain. If you can afford them they're a good option, but this is all hearsay.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 04:09 PM   #16
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
I've driven on PS2s and they're okay, but I never understood the hype. For the money, I wasn't impressed.

The RE-11s wear like iron and they're pretty quiet on the street. They have a lot of tread depth so they're a tad on the squirmy side when new.

I think the AD-08s are some of the most expensive tires out there, but they are known to be very precise, durable and good in the rain. If you can afford them they're a good option, but this is all hearsay.
The AD08s are actually a bit cheaper than the RE-11s; both are about $1000/set. The PS2s are like 1300.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...=54350&tab=All
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 04:44 PM   #17
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post

I suppose it depends on the car. The difference in the V70R was night and day in all aspects. On the ZHP the performance was roughly the same, but the ride comfort and noise were much improved (however turn-in was not as crisp - perhaps tread squirm on worn vs new tires?).

On the V70R, the price I paid had littel to no premium over many other brands. On the ZHP, I decided since I wasn't putting tons of miles anymore, might as well get the best tires.

My buddy at work paid $2,800 for a new set of tires for his 997TT. That is insane. And many models/brands were about the same. The $1000 I spent on the ZHP seems cheap.

And I know somewhere Veryon owners think $3K for a set of tires is stupid cheap.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:49 PM   #18
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
The PS2s are like 1300.
Damn.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:25 PM   #19
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
If the RE-11s and the AD-08s are on par with one another... flip a coin?
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 10:00 PM   #20
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Intrigued by the re-11's. B-stone makes some good tires. The 960a/s is excellent for its class.

The ps2 is very comfortable, perhaps more so than the ps1, while being warmer rubber. When I switched from the re040 to the ps1 on the zhp (more like switched from one zhp that had one to the other car that had the other set ) ride, tramlining improved dramatically. Conclusion: re040's have square profile and stiffer sidewalls. They are quiet and decent in the wet, but the michelins are downright comfy.

In your shoes, I'd probably go for the re-11. I've heard that the f1 asymm is not so good for track (not sure about auto-x).
equ is offline   Reply With Quote