carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 12-22-2020, 09:16 AM   #31
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post

On the EV front, frankly, I'd get an eGolf again if it had updated batteries and power a la ID.4 (~ 2x the range and power). It would need real tires though.
That's basically the ID.3, which VW has decided not to sell in the US...
Old 12-22-2020, 10:51 AM   #32
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
That's basically the ID.3, which VW has decided not to sell in the US...
Ah! I see. I didn't know about that. But yes, I'd be open to one of those. But 4000lb! Ugh. Still not very fast 0-60. I could care less about that around town, since even the eGolf was quick 0-40. But where it sucked was at hwy speeds.

I take for granted that EV's are quick around town. I think the C&D test of 50-70 accel is a very important metric for EV's.
FC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 11:03 AM   #33
JST

Quote:

I take for granted that EV's are quick around town. I think the C&D test of 50-70 accel is a very important metric for EV's.
You should just get a Model 3, tbh. Or maybe a Model Y if you need a bit more space.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...-acceleration/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car and Driver, emphasis added

This Model 3 needed only 1.4 seconds to leap from 30 to 50 mph and just 2.0 seconds to get from 50 to 70. Never mind other sports sedans—they're not competitive by this measure. This Tesla's mid-range acceleration tops the performance of 700-hp sports cars like the Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 and Porsche 911 GT2 RS, in which there's a moment's delay while automatic transmissions downshift and engines rev up. And the Tesla does it without drama beyond the alarming way it pushes you back into the seat as the car closes on any traffic ahead. There's no jerk and no roar—plant your foot on the accelerator and it simply goes.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 11:50 AM   #34
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
You should just get a Model 3, tbh. Or maybe a Model Y if you need a bit more space.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...-acceleration/
I'm sure they are great. But they are also much more $$$. My plan has always been to replace the M3 with an EV (way) down the road. But the 3 doesn't do it for me just yet.

As for getting an EV over the GTI, I don't think the 3 has enough hatch/cargo space, does it? I'd have to look into the Y, and that's much more than the GTI.

Even the new GTI idea only works as long as it's "cheap" and has low cost of ownership. I really should be getting a used commuter. But I like GTI's and their resale is crazy high, so I can make a solid pitch that a new one is not crazy.
Old 12-22-2020, 01:33 PM   #35
JST

Quote:
I'm sure they are great. But they are also much more $$$. My plan has always been to replace the M3 with an EV (way) down the road. But the 3 doesn't do it for me just yet.

As for getting an EV over the GTI, I don't think the 3 has enough hatch/cargo space, does it? I'd have to look into the Y, and that's much more than the GTI.

Even the new GTI idea only works as long as it's "cheap" and has low cost of ownership. I really should be getting a used commuter. But I like GTI's and their resale is crazy high, so I can make a solid pitch that a new one is not crazy.
The 3 Performance is, IMHO, one of the greatest performance bargains out there, but it's still nearly 2X the cost of a GTI, so I'm not actually suggesting you do that instead of the GTI. Your mention of the 50-70 passing time just triggered my memory of that CD article.

As for space...you'd be surprised. The Model 3 has a deceptively huge cargo capacity. As an example, I could take both kids, my wife, and two full size steamer trunks to camp in the Model 3, with some room to spare--there's no way that load could have fit into the Golf or even the BMW.

It doesn't have a hatch, so if you're looking to carry big, awkwardly shaped things it's not ideal. But the combination of a wide, deep trunk and the frunk mean it carries way more than anything in the same size class.

The Golf that I had didn't have a huge amount of cargo room. I've read that the Rs lose a few inches in vertical height b/c of the AWD system, but I haven't looked into the hatch of a GTI recently. Certainly plenty to be usable, but packing the Golf for a trip for four people was always a challenge in a way that it never was with the Tesla.
Old 12-22-2020, 01:50 PM   #36
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
The 3 Performance is, IMHO, one of the greatest performance bargains out there, but it's still nearly 2X the cost of a GTI, so I'm not actually suggesting you do that instead of the GTI. Your mention of the 50-70 passing time just triggered my memory of that CD article.

As for space...you'd be surprised. The Model 3 has a deceptively huge cargo capacity. As an example, I could take both kids, my wife, and two full size steamer trunks to camp in the Model 3, with some room to spare--there's no way that load could have fit into the Golf or even the BMW.

It doesn't have a hatch, so if you're looking to carry big, awkwardly shaped things it's not ideal. But the combination of a wide, deep trunk and the frunk mean it carries way more than anything in the same size class.

The Golf that I had didn't have a huge amount of cargo room. I've read that the Rs lose a few inches in vertical height b/c of the AWD system, but I haven't looked into the hatch of a GTI recently. Certainly plenty to be usable, but packing the Golf for a trip for four people was always a challenge in a way that it never was with the Tesla.
Not interested in having to fit 4 humans + cargo. That's what the LR4 is for. More like 3 humans plus gear. Or 3 humans plus large dog at the most.

I should probably check out a 3 one of these days.
Old 12-22-2020, 09:18 PM   #37
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
You should just get a Model 3
This thread just got fun ...

Quote:
so I'm not actually suggesting you do that instead of the GTI.
Then it got ruined ...
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 09:41 PM   #38
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Any thoughts on a mini clubman instead? Every time I see one it looks like so much fun
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 10:29 PM   #39
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
Any thoughts on a mini clubman instead? Every time I see one it looks like so much fun

I’m a former MINI guy and just can’t get excited about a new Clubman over some of the alternatives like a GTI. New MINIs have gotten really expensive, and ~10 years ago the premium for a MINI was ok when you knew you could get your money back at resale but that’s not the case anymore either. However if a used one is cheap enough, maybe that changes the equation a bit?
Old 12-22-2020, 10:51 PM   #40
JST

I looked at a Mini when I bought the Golf R a few years back. It was substantially more money than the Golf, was smaller and a lot slower, and worst of all didn’t really feel special the way the R56 did; the Golf was just as nice to drive.

Hard pass.

I didn’t drive the Countryman, but can’t imagine it would be better in any of those metrics.