carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 10-07-2017, 08:45 AM   #111
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
Which model X3 did you like?
The last one I had as a loaner a couple of years ago was either a 2015 or 2016 with the small engine but had the m sport package. For an suv it was fun’ish to drive. Felt more like a tallish sports sedan than an suv.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 09:03 PM   #112
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Getting closer I think... test drove three suvs today.

First up Toyota dealer

2018 4-runner sr-5 4x4
-trucky but it is one. Basically a old tech suv you can buy new.
-steering was honest. Brakes were super sensitive though.
-interior is utilitarian
-wife was concerned about gas mileage. Told her a 23 gallon tank so should not need to fuel up more often.

2018 highlander
-drove just like our current higher lander, marshmellow on wheels.
-wife liked it since she likes her current highlander
-a lot of room and tech for money.

Toyota salesman was high pressure slimy salesman. Telling us what we needed

Next Mazda

2018 Mazda CX-9 touring
-feels like great power( 2.5t). All the NA v6 we have driven seem to shift to the highest gears as fast as possible but this did no so feels fast.
-handling is good for a suv
-interior is very attractive. Looks like a German suv but does not feel like it, aka hard plastic and fake metal trim.
-driver and passenger room is on the small side. Guess ok since my wife and I are not large.

Good salesman with no pressure.

So I prefer the 4-runner and Cx-9 and my wife seems to prefer the 4-runner and highlander. She has not really mentioned the MDX but Since I told her I didn’t like it so seemed to have influenced her. Basically it seems like the 4-runner but I am a bit worried she might tire of it doing her freeway commute.

Edit: highlander is the rational choice, best gas mileage ,tech,room and value. But for me it is boring and the same thing we currently have just new. But this is my wife’s car so trying to get best for her. But she trusts my opionion and she does want to get something I like since I drive the family around in it.
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 05:04 PM   #113
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

I love car salesmen...

Found one that matches my wife's requirements so clicked on the dealers "Send Me Today's Best Price" button and filled out the contact info. Get a quick response saying let's meet so you can test drive. I respond back that I already test drove one so just want your best price. No response since this morning
Old 10-09-2017, 11:45 PM   #114
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
I love car salesmen...

Found one that matches my wife's requirements so clicked on the dealers "Send Me Today's Best Price" button and filled out the contact info. Get a quick response saying let's meet so you can test drive. I respond back that I already test drove one so just want your best price. No response since this morning
Some of them are excellent.

But many of them are complete idiots.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 11:25 AM   #115
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
I love car salesmen...

Just got a reply this morning What a great price

Quote:
Hi Jeff

Thank you again for choosing Toyota San Diego for your next car purchase. You will quickly see how being the first Toyota dealership in San Diego has giving us a unique perspective on how our customers like to be treated. They continue to reward us with their repeat business.

Our transparent, stress-free experience, Internet Direct Pricing, incredible inventory and expedited internet process makes us the best place to drive off in a Toyota.

Thank you again for including us in your search. I look forward to helping YOU drive your dream Toyota !

Kind Regards,
Old 10-10-2017, 11:58 AM   #116
ff

Can "dream" and "Toyota" even be used in the same sentence?
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 04:25 PM   #117
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

yeah Toyota is terrible.

First off you can search toyota.com for what is available but it does not tell you what dealer they are it.

So then searched local dealer websites for the config my wife wanted. Found two leftover 2017 at different dealers that matched her requirements. So tried contacting the dealers and finally track down that both had been of them have been sold. Is it that fricking hard to update a website? Thinking it is like leaving a for sale sign up at a house that has been sold, get them leads.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:02 PM   #118
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Pulled the trigger on a 2018 Toyota 4x4 SR5 Premium last weekend for my wife. Silver was not her first choice but she like it when she saw it. It was the only color I could find in Socal that matched her configuration. It has black interior.

I am pretty happy that she decided on it. Seems like a good other vehicle to go along with the turbo. New but very utilitarian so kids(and I) can beat it up without getting upset. Already trying to make plans to use if for desert camping and baja. Figure it is a very long term car so will probably keep it as third car if she wants something different in a few years.

Had 1 mile when we got it. Never seen a car so low, I would assume they put a few miles on it at the factory?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rps20171018_125244_342.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	183.5 KB
ID:	11501  Click image for larger version

Name:	rps20171018_125316_141.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	158.6 KB
ID:	11502  
Old 10-18-2017, 08:45 PM   #119
clyde
Chief title editor

Enjoy!

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 08:47 PM   #120
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
3 years of contemplation and you end up with a 4runner?!

Just kidding... Enjoy.

Do those have a third row now?
bren is offline   Reply With Quote