carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 05-16-2020, 01:36 PM   #1
Alan
Carmudgeon

I can't buy a bmw !?!?

So we have a 2017 340i coming up on lease which I just checked comes due next Saturday, I had tried to order a car a couple of months ago but I think I mentioned in a previous post that the BMW Factory was shut down ... well I got the good news last week they are building cars again, finalized the order this week for a new M340i xdrive black/black. It is a nice build and we were excited to get the order in only to find out today that BMW cancelled our order due to a parts supply issue according to the dealers manager.

I asked my son what other car would he want I'm thinking possible an S5 coupe but he is dead set on the M340 so we will have to wait and see what happens and I will have to extend the lease on his 340, I would have at this point just purchased our current 340 but while it looks beautiful it is a little beat up being it was owned by a teenager (though now he just turned 22).

Also just spoke to Audi and decided it is time to pick up the Q5 we ordered for my daughter, finally got a price which is reasonable ... we had turned in our 2018 A4 I think a month ago and I don't see any reason to still wait on the order.

Anyway I know in the big picture of life nowadays who really cares about these things but we are car people so what the h*ll ... it beats talking about other things right now.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 01:47 PM   #2
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
So we have a 2017 340i coming up on lease which I just checked comes due next Saturday, I had tried to order a car a couple of months ago but I think I mentioned in a previous post that the BMW Factory was shut down ... well I got the good news last week they are building cars again, finalized the order this week for a new M340i xdrive black/black. It is a nice build and we were excited to get the order in only to find out today that BMW cancelled our order due to a parts supply issue according to the dealers manager.

I asked my son what other car would he want I'm thinking possible an S5 coupe but he is dead set on the M340 so we will have to wait and see what happens and I will have to extend the lease on his 340, I would have at this point just purchased our current 340 but while it looks beautiful it is a little beat up being it was owned by a teenager (though now he just turned 22).

Also just spoke to Audi and decided it is time to pick up the Q5 we ordered for my daughter, finally got a price which is reasonable ... we had turned in our 2018 A4 I think a month ago and I don't see any reason to still wait on the order.

Anyway I know in the big picture of life nowadays who really cares about these things but we are car people so what the h*ll ... it beats talking about other things right now.
I was thinking recently, you also don’t want to be the guinea pig for the factory restart growing pains. But I suppose that’s less of an issue if you are leasing.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 02:04 PM   #3
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
BMW cancelled our order due to a parts supply issue according to the dealers manager.
I'm not surprised. Anyone that wants to drive a new car in the next 4-6 months should expect to buy off the lot or through a dealer trade...and possibly be willing to travel/ship or be flexible on options/configuration, because the existing supply is probably going to be eaten pretty quickly by pent up demand.

There are a ton of re-start issues globally and more are on the way. Even when things are up and running, most will be operating at only a portion of normal production speed. Few major manufacturers (automotive and others) are publicly forecasting normal operations before the end of the year.

If demand for products drops over the rest of the year, "normal operations" could wind up meaning something less than pre-coronavirus normal operations.

In terms of auto manufacturers, until supply issues are worked out, I'd expect them to build a lot more of what they can, rather than what they may want.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 12:42 PM   #4
Alan
Carmudgeon

Heard back from my salesman BMW is not making anymore M340's for 2020 ... we have to wait until 2021

So I ended up extending the lease for 6 months which kind of sucks, I am now going to be stuck putting on at least 2 tires and we barely use it plus like I mentioned before the car is a little beaten ...

The good thing is if the new car comes in before the 6 months are up BMW will not charge us for the months it was not used.
Old 05-24-2020, 11:03 AM   #5
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
Heard back from my salesman BMW is not making anymore M340's for 2020 ... we have to wait until 2021

So I ended up extending the lease for 6 months which kind of sucks, I am now going to be stuck putting on at least 2 tires and we barely use it plus like I mentioned before the car is a little beaten ...

The good thing is if the new car comes in before the 6 months are up BMW will not charge us for the months it was not used.
Can you just swap the more recent set of tires for the old ones at turn-in time?
Old 05-24-2020, 05:18 PM   #6
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Can you just swap the more recent set of tires for the old ones at turn-in time?
The car went to service a few days ago they said the right front and back tires need to be replaced, I checked it out to today and they are exactly at the wear bars but nothing close to being worn to the thread, fortunately they wore out evenly ... I would be surprised if we put 500 miles on the car in the next few months so I think I will wait it out.

My other thinking is give the car back next month and give him the Cayman or 540 for the few miles he needs to drive ... It’s not like we are going anywhere and we are picking up my daughters Q5 on Wednesday so there are plenty of cars if someone needs one.
Old 05-25-2020, 08:37 AM   #7
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
The car went to service a few days ago they said the right front and back tires need to be replaced, I checked it out to today and they are exactly at the wear bars but nothing close to being worn to the thread, fortunately they wore out evenly ... I would be surprised if we put 500 miles on the car in the next few months so I think I will wait it out.

My other thinking is give the car back next month and give him the Cayman or 540 for the few miles he needs to drive ... It’s not like we are going anywhere and we are picking up my daughters Q5 on Wednesday so there are plenty of cars if someone needs one.
That makes good sense. I am driving only once or twice a week these days. And half of that is just due to shared custody arrangements.

BTW, have you driven a Q3? I am still dithering about a more practical car. Driving my dogs around in the convertible is not ideal. Reviews I’ve read give the edge to the X1. I didn’t love the X1 when I drove it, but it would probably be OK if I can keep the 2. Another factor is, I have an Audi dealer very close to where I live, whereas the BMW dealers are now 10-20 miles away...The Audi dealer near me has several Allroads on the lot (and the pricey A6 wagon), but they are substantially more than the Q3...
Old 05-25-2020, 12:01 PM   #8
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
That makes good sense. I am driving only once or twice a week these days. And half of that is just due to shared custody arrangements.

BTW, have you driven a Q3? I am still dithering about a more practical car. Driving my dogs around in the convertible is not ideal. Reviews I’ve read give the edge to the X1. I didn’t love the X1 when I drove it, but it would probably be OK if I can keep the 2. Another factor is, I have an Audi dealer very close to where I live, whereas the BMW dealers are now 10-20 miles away...The Audi dealer near me has several Allroads on the lot (and the pricey A6 wagon), but they are substantially more than the Q3...
I have not driven the new Q3 yet but my salesperson said it is great, the technology is ahead of the Q5 being it is a newer model.

She even tried to talk me into getting it instead of the Q5 for that reason ... you can't go wrong with an Audi, they are great vehicles.

I don't know if you remember but we have the Q7 too, it really is a great SUV though probably too big for you.
Old 05-25-2020, 12:16 PM   #9
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
I have not driven the new Q3 yet but my salesperson said it is great, the technology is ahead of the Q5 being it is a newer model.

She even tried to talk me into getting it instead of the Q5 for that reason ... you can't go wrong with an Audi, they are great vehicles.

I don't know if you remember but we have the Q7 too, it really is a great SUV though probably too big for you.
Good to hear about the Audis. A Q7 would be way too big. I have a rather smallish garage and a short driveway. I just need the practicality of four doors, plus a hatch (dog transport)--and a solid roof that could carry a roof box. Could even maybe get by with the 340 GT, if I could find a good used one.

Apparently the X1 has as much room as an X3, because it's FWD...
Old 05-27-2020, 07:45 AM   #10
wdc330i
dogged

Apparently the Spartanburg plant opened in early May. I wonder if the Germany plants are still closed...