carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 11-02-2020, 11:54 AM   #11
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I think the Grapnite exterior would look really good with the Cognac interior, whatever you do don’t get silver my brother has it on his X3 M40 and it doesn’t do anything for the car.
Good to know. I've never had a silver BMW, so I was thinking a bit about that--given how hot it gets down here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
Note on seat ventilation - it makes the seats VERY hard. I'd skip it based on my couple days with it on the X3 loaner I had. The ventilation wasn't very effective and the change in seat comfort vs normal BMW sports seats was unacceptable.

I do like the blue on the x3. Much darker than estoril and fits the car well. I also like the graphite. Carbon is pretty but takes a lot of work to keep looking nice. I don't imagine you're going to want to spend time detailing an x3 in carbon to keep it looking as nice as it can.
I've read that about the seats. Thank you! And totally agree on Carbon. Phytonic is a good bit darker in person than Estoril, but not as dark as navy. What was the E46 dark blue called? I forget now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL View Post
I think graphite & cognac would be a nice color combo. I just poked through some listings on autotrader couldn’t find one in that combo but I’ve seen the dark grey w/ medium brown many times over the years and it always looked great.
Gracias! I am leaning to that combo.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 12:08 PM   #12
dan
redefined

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
I've read that about the seats. Thank you! And totally agree on Carbon. Phytonic is a good bit darker in person than Estoril, but not as dark as navy. What was the E46 dark blue called? I forget now.
Orient Blue was the dark blue
Topaz Blue was similar to Phytonic from what I can tell in pics
Old 11-02-2020, 12:19 PM   #13
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan View Post
Orient Blue was the dark blue
Topaz Blue was similar to Phytonic from what I can tell in pics
Orient! That's it.

We had a Topaz Z3 and a Topaz 325xiT. Loved that color.
Old 11-02-2020, 12:53 PM   #14
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
Note on seat ventilation - it makes the seats VERY hard. I'd skip it based on my couple days with it on the X3 loaner I had. The ventilation wasn't very effective and the change in seat comfort vs normal BMW sports seats was unacceptable.

Did the loaner have the massaging feature? I have the multi contour seats in the 540 with both the vented and massaging seats, I had read the massaging feature makes them harder, the other day I sat in a 5er without the massaging feature but it did have the vented and they were softer then mine.

One quick note on the vented seats, I have them in 4 of my cars, the BMWs version is beyond ridiculous, my only complaint about my car ... you feel nothing !! I pointed it out when I had a service and they said it was fine and they did a paper test, basically put paper on the seat to see if it moves and they said it passed. I tried it when I got home and the paper doesn’t budge.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 01:18 PM   #15
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Did the loaner have the massaging feature? I have the multi contour seats in the 540 with both the vented and massaging seats, I had read the massaging feature makes them harder, the other day I sat in a 5er without the massaging feature but it did have the vented and they were softer then mine.

One quick note on the vented seats, I have them in 4 of my cars, the BMWs version is beyond ridiculous, my only complaint about my car ... you feel nothing !! I pointed it out when I had a service and they said it was fine and they did a paper test, basically put paper on the seat to see if it moves and they said it passed. I tried it when I got home and the paper doesn’t budge.
No massaging feature on the X3.
Old 11-02-2020, 01:48 PM   #16
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
Quote:
No massaging feature on the X3.

+1

I think it’s just the seats in the X3. The sport seat with ventilation is very flat (you can immediately see the difference in the side bolsters in a side-by-side pic) and there are a lot of posts online about the ventilated seat being very firm and less comfortable.

On the 5/6/7+ models the ventilated seat option requires comfort seats and those are generally fine. Though still have issue of BMW seat ventilation being weak.
Old 11-02-2020, 03:06 PM   #17
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL View Post
+1

I think it’s just the seats in the X3. The sport seat with ventilation is very flat (you can immediately see the difference in the side bolsters in a side-by-side pic) and there are a lot of posts online about the ventilated seat being very firm and less comfortable.

On the 5/6/7+ models the ventilated seat option requires comfort seats and those are generally fine. Though still have issue of BMW seat ventilation being weak.
Porsche is supposed to be much better in that regard.

But, frankly, with a messy teenage boy (and his friends), I'd like to avoid any kind of perforated seats.
Old 11-02-2020, 03:30 PM   #18
Nick M3
Relic

Quote:

But, frankly, with a messy teenage boy (and his friends), I'd like to avoid any kind of perforated seats.
Every reason you give for wanting this car makes me think you really should get something adequate and cheap and keep the 2. Or just can the whole thing and keep the 2.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 03:40 PM   #19
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3 View Post
Every reason you give for wanting this car makes me think you really should get something adequate and cheap and keep the 2. Or just can the whole thing and keep the 2.
Yeah, there's a possible house purchase in the mix, too. If I can find something decent...

Current plan is to figure out a way to keep the 2. At least in the near term.

Still need to drive some more moderately priced cars before pulling the trigger on an X3 order.
Old 11-02-2020, 04:48 PM   #20
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:

its not.
Porsche ventilation (I believe) works the same way as BMW where it pulls air into the seat, as opposed to 'blowing' cold air on you.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote