carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-23-2015, 06:32 PM   #11
IndyMike
Elected by grace

Carmudgeonly Ride: 11 1 M; 11 328iT; 22 M240ix
80k miles over 90 months of ownership and only just recently encountered a pricey unscheduled maintenance bill due to a wiring harness issue connected to the mass airflow sensor.

Plus 3 recalls early on in it's career, and a HID bulb that had to be replaced (naturally just after the warranty expired) and that's the extent of the tale of woe to date.

I plan on keeping this car until it starts exhibiting signs of its eventual demise. It still looks pretty good, both inside and out. The DSG tranny is holding up well, but I pretty much keep it in auto mode unless I'm really bored. The exhaust really has a lovely note when the VR6 is at full flush, but it can be borderline obnoxious to anyone but a cheese eating high school kids ears probably.

I just shod it with its second set of Conti DSW's, so I'd be jazzed to get another 30 - 40k miles out of both the car and tires............but if the end of the former comes sooner than later the GTI would be at the top of my list.

I went to the auto show here over the Christmas Holiday's and it was about the only vehicle that really impressed me. I like the upcoming R, but at close to $40k that's more than I intend to spend for a daily beater these days. I'd rather put the dough towards adding an M2, and selling or trading the VW in two to three years (but that's slightly off topic).