carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 08-10-2020, 12:48 PM   #1
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Time for a slow 981 search

I've learned to get over the 981 prices. They are what they are. New ones with an H6 are $100k now, so I don't see the few NA 981's getting cheaper all of a sudden. Supply is incredibly small.

Recently I had been debating the merits of getting a new ND. I want the new engine and the early transmissions scare me. Also, the 100 AE MX-5 looks great. But that means spending mid $30k's on a Miata. It would be very nice but probably won't scratch the Boxster itch properly. I think I rather pay extra for a used 981S. A 7yo Boxster is bound to not depreciate as much as a new Miata.

Anyhow, cars like this make me think that if I am patient I should be able to score a good 981S somewhere between 40-50k, but hopefully closer to 40k. I don't think I want to make a move until Spring of next year since I still worry about the macro impact of COVID, but I think I'd be open to the right opportunity sooner if it comes my way.

So please let me know if in your browsing you come across a 981S with the following specs aside from the obvious MT requirement:

- Color: Open to any color, but I rather stay away from black, silver, or gray (notable exception is GT silver+red top/interior). Bonus points for fun colors like yellow, red, bright blue, and even white.
- Interior: Naturally, more leather is best. Would prefer black. Bonus points for Cocoa. No tan. Red only allowed with silver/gray combo above.
- I prefer sports/adaptive seats but I'll take anything.
- I really would like to have heated seats and bonus points for heated steering wheel. Was it even available? I thought it was.
- Obviously bonus points for anything performance oriented (PASM, Sport chrono, sport exhaust, etc.).
- These are my preferred wheels, but again, I can't be picky:

If for some miracle you guys spot a GTS for anywhere near 50k or even 55k, let me know as well.

I do want a nice car, so while mileage doesn't bother me too much, I want a clean history and good cosmetic condition.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 01:00 PM   #2
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
All your requirements were very close to mine when looking. I never came across anything with non boring colors, manual, nice 19 inch wheels for less then 47-49 and I looked for over a year. If your willing to go that high you should be able to find one without to much struggle. I was not willing to spend that much on a soon to be 7-8yo car.

Edit: I honestly love the 981S in white/black. With the body lines it just looks so clean and on point.
Old 08-10-2020, 01:14 PM   #3
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
All your requirements were very close to mine when looking. I never came across anything with non boring colors, manual, nice 19 inch wheels for less then 47-49 and I looked for over a year. If your willing to go that high you should be able to find one without to much struggle. I was not willing to spend that much on a soon to be 7-8yo car.

Edit: I honestly love the 981S in white/black. With the body lines it just looks so clean and on point.
I am a fan of the Boxster in white. I had one before. It works on a summer car.

I know what you mean about the price. I'm hoping they come down a little and I am also willing to go up a little. Don't make me doubt myself.

Again, the "new Miata for $36k" thing helped me with the mental justification. My wife seemed totally on board with a new Miata, so she should be ok with a slightly pricier Boxster.
Old 08-10-2020, 04:05 PM   #4
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
Again, the "new Miata for $36k" thing helped me with the mental justification.
I don't know what the anniversary edition Miata is going for, but the new ND I would buy would have run about $27k immediately before COIVD.

Beyond that, I recall once asking on this forum whether the multiples of $ more that a used 987 cost (at the time of the question) vs what the NA Miata I was driving at the time were objectively defensible. I think JST said they were not.

I know that every gen Boxster is way nicer and offers so much more in terms of features, power, grip, (or less, in terms of road noise with the top up), and so on. What I don't know and am in constant search of figuring out is what makes the Boxster better that it's worth that much more money. That doesn't mean it's dumb to buy a Boxster or anything like that. I just can't figure it out.

And for that matter, if the object is buying a fun car, I can't make the argument for a new ND vs an NA or NB (I do think the ND is much better at doing what it does than the NC, though).

I don't know. I struggle with this.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 04:18 PM   #5
JST

I haven't driven an ND. In fact, it's been decades since I've driven a Miata of any kind. I remember them being extremely hilarious fun, though kind of slow.

And, yeah, it's hard to justify rationally paying 10x a cheap Miata for a 987, though I think it's a lot easier to justify 1.5 to 2X an ND for a 981.

That said...the Boxster is just such a good car. It's so much nicer to drive, in terms of fine detail, than any BMW I've driven--I used to prefer it to the E90 M3, and I still prefer it to the F80. The 987 and the 981 are pretty different, but my short drives in 981s leave me convinced that that inherent goodness remains in those cars.

It's the kind of car you can buy and keep for 10 years or more, and every now and then think "I don't drive that enough, I should sell it," and then decide "no, I just like it too much and I'll never find anything better for the price." Ask me how I know.

I still want a 911, but I think I mostly want a 911 because I haven't had one. I don't think the 911 is a better sports car even if it's faster.
JST is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 04:46 PM   #6
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
I don't think the 911 is a better sports car even if it's faster.
Now THAT is an interesting debate right there !!

I think the majority here prefer a Boxster/Cayman to the 911 ... me ... I prefer the 911.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 04:58 PM   #7
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
I don't know what the anniversary edition Miata is going for, but the new ND I would buy would have run about $27k immediately before COIVD.
You can certainly option them sub 30k, but I would want most/all the bells and whistles. I'm just being honest.
Old 08-11-2020, 07:00 AM   #8
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Now you're speaking my language. I've had a similar debate going for almost three years, with the extra wrinkle that I already own a late 987S in ideal (for us) spec.

First off, I love Miatas, but I can't see replacing this car with a Miata. They just don't have enough room for long-distance travel, and that's a major use case for us. Second, it's almost equal dollars to go from our car to a new ND. Maybe a used ND2?

Second, I'm with you (FC) on the later four cylinder cars. It seems like they will depreciate faster than any Porsche in recent memory, but the turbo 4 ruins the car, IMO. The sound and feel are all wrong for me.

Third, 981s are great. A little big, and a little disconnected-feeling, but great. The interior and exterior styling are a big step up. But man, I have a hard time ponying up $50k for a used car especially when it only does things *a little* better than a car I already own and love. Some unseen force pulls me back when I see a used vehicle price with five digits and a '5' up front, particularly when I know the number my car would sell for starts with a '2'

I guess if I were in your shoes with an M3 in the garage I'd have a really hard time pulling the trigger on another expensive sports car. I don't really see the point. Don't they execute pretty much the same mission? Maybe that's just an indicator of how detached I've become from modern BMWs. I don't really see the point of the M3, as it exists today
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 02:21 PM   #9
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1175898

all done. enjoy. EDIT: didn't notice the ad was from earlier this year. Just hunt down the buyer and make him an offer he can't refuse.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 02:37 PM   #10
FC
Solving problems

I saw that one. Other than the interior blue bits (which is fixable) I quite like it, but I read that post as being sold. Last post was many months ago, so I suspect it's gone.