carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 01-09-2017, 04:12 PM   #41
zach
swinging for the fences

Carmudgeonly Ride: 987, X7 M60i, e36 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD View Post
I don't think it's a plug-in hybrid.
Oh interesting.

EDIT: it is a plug-in.

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/...-first-21-days
zach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 04:22 PM   #42
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
You don't have to plug it in. Sounds like it'll charge from the engine (generator).
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 04:22 PM   #43
zach
swinging for the fences

Carmudgeonly Ride: 987, X7 M60i, e36 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
You don't have to plug it in. Sounds like it'll charge from the engine (generator).
Hmm. That could work, actually.
zach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 04:47 PM   #44
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD View Post
I feel like we've had this discussion before. So I worry this will read like a cut and paste from some earlier reply but...

Why on earth does someone need even something as large as an X5 for just two kids? As someone who has two kids, I don't get it. I especially cannot comprehend how going from one kid to two makes an X5 too small.
Yes you have said this before but how do you car pool in your sedans ?? I'm sure your kids got invited to parties, sweet sixteens, their sporting events with other team members, ice skating night, bar or bat mitzvahs, etc. etc. ... with kids come car pools, with little ones comes needing a vehicle with a lot of room for all the stuff that comes with little ones ...

How about as adults going out to dinner with other couples .... I feel bad putting another couple in the back of my mid size sedan ... an SUV is more comfortable for adults.

SUVs are more comfortable when it comes to hauling people over a sedan and now they drive pretty close to the feeling of the sedan as well.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 04:56 PM   #45
TD
Founder emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF View Post
Yes you have said this before but how do you car pool in your sedans ?? I'm sure your kids got invited to parties, sweet sixteens, their sporting events with other team members, ice skating night, bar or bat mitzvahs, etc. etc. ... with kids come car pools, with little ones comes needing a vehicle with a lot of room for all the stuff that comes with little ones ...

How about as adults going out to dinner with other couples .... I feel bad putting another couple in the back of my mid size sedan ... an SUV is more comfortable for adults.

SUVs are more comfortable when it comes to hauling people over a sedan and now they drive pretty close to the feeling of the sedan as well.
Driving a 5000 lb SUV will never feel the same as driving a 3000 lb sedan regardless of horsepower.

I'm not sure how sitting in the back seat of a sedan is noticeably different from sitting in the back seat of an SUV.

And without a stupidly large vehicle, we never got stuck driving a car pool. We made it up to the other parents in other ways depending on the situation. But I'm not going to base a car buying decision on the very infrequent potential need to schlep around a handful of other people's kids.
TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 05:12 PM   #46
JST

I'm not going to question the logic of having an SUV. I wouldn't do it myself (not least because my wife won't drive one), but I can see why having one makes things easier.

So, my list would be (in descending order):

Macan Turbo (you don't need more space than that, seriously)
F Pace Sport (only 380 hp, but I'd at least drive one)
JGC SRT 8
Range Rover Sport Supercharged

But I'd also drive a Panamera to see if I could get away with not having an SUV.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 05:48 PM   #47
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Mecan is interesting for the dsg transmission, but I don't know why you'd buy that over the Cayenne, not so long as we're spending other people's money.

I also don't see the appeal of a giant sedan over an SUV for schlepping the family around
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 06:15 PM   #48
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
Mecan is interesting for the dsg transmission, but I don't know why you'd buy that over the Cayenne, not so long as we're spending other people's money.

I also don't see the appeal of a giant sedan over an SUV for schlepping the family around
More fun to drive.

The Macan is cheaper and smaller than a Cayenne, which is why I'd get that one.
Old 01-09-2017, 06:45 PM   #49
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Panamera only has bucket back seats. That's a killer from a utility standpoint.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 06:54 PM   #50
JST

What about the hatchback Audi S7?