John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 07:33 AM   #512
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
Honestly those box flares remind me of a Starion Turbo. LOL

Even the door handles match.

AND the huge hockey stick side skirts. But at least on the Mitsubishi they were body colored!!

HA

SCA the taillights look exactly the same in that pic. G87 gets to change.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
Th E30 M3 comes to mind for me.
I only see boy racer STi

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 07:58 AM   #513
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Except it has the 1990s Wings West "Supra" wing that every Honda had in 1994.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 08:54 AM   #514
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Th E30 M3 comes to mind for me.

BMW is going back to flush door handles on everything. wdc330i’s new M440 GC has flush door handles. Maybe we can get come insight into how they are? My experience with the one in the showroom is that they are fairly deep.
Quote:
Its weird. I hated when they moved away from the flush door handles (E36, E39).

I thought the pull handles were a step backwards. But having had both (E36, E39, E46, F87) I am not sure which I prefer. I still think the flush is cleaner.
They are cleaner-looking for sure, but they are pinchy at the edges. In fact, the edges of the doors are sharp as well. Someone designed them without really considering how they feel using them everyday.
wdc330i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 09:32 AM   #515
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Its weird. I hated when they moved away from the flush door handles (E36, E39).

I thought the pull handles were a step backwards. But having had both (E36, E39, E46, F87) I am not sure which I prefer. I still think the flush is cleaner.
I was the same way having owned multiple BMWs that had the flush door handles and then the E46 came along. After twenty-two years of using the pull handles it is my preference. The flush mounted handle feels odd on the new BMWs whereas I do not have any issues with the older style on the Z3 and the E39.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 09:37 AM   #516
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
I only see boy racer STi
Just a reminder, when the E30 M3 was new there was not a whole lot of love for the rear spoiler or boxed fenders on it. It was considered “boy racer” as well… Now guys my age that were in high school when the car was new are dropping $125-250k for a mint E30 M3 in an attempt to relive their youth. A damn good thing I purchased mine nearly 20 years ago!

FYI, the M Performance garbage we are seeing on these test mules is Port/Dealer installed accessories, *not factory spec. The same crap is available for the G80/G82. One does not have to buy it! Clearly it is BMW’s pathetic attempt at pulling in the much younger crowd.

Last edited by SCA; 03-24-2022 at 10:24 AM.
Old 03-24-2022, 11:47 AM   #517
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Just a reminder, when the E30 M3 was new there was not a whole lot of love for the rear spoiler or boxed fenders on it. It was considered “boy racer” as well… Now guys my age that were in high school when the car was new are dropping $125-250k for a mint E30 M3 in an attempt to relive their youth. A damn good thing I purchased mine nearly 20 years ago!
When the E30 M3 was new, it was new. If you're suggesting the silly ugliness of this new car are things to be highlighted and celebrated because they were used before, perhaps you'd be interested in a nostalgic 2005 Mustang or 2010 Camaro, too.

When the E30 M3 was new, it drove pretty much unlike anything else available and could be damn near fully exploited and enjoyed ate regular speeds on public roads.

The E30 M3 attained its status because of what it was. Not because of what it looked like.

And it just goes on from there.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 03-24-2022, 01:12 PM   #518
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
When the E30 M3 was new, it was new. If you're suggesting the silly ugliness of this new car are things to be highlighted and celebrated because they were used before, perhaps you'd be interested in a nostalgic 2005 Mustang or 2010 Camaro, too.

When the E30 M3 was new, it drove pretty much unlike anything else available and could be damn near fully exploited and enjoyed ate regular speeds on public roads.

The E30 M3 attained its status because of what it was. Not because of what it looked like.

And it just goes on from there.
New it what way? It was not groundbreaking.

The S14 was and still is total crap for daily driving. Absolutely Horrible! The M20 in the 325is was a vastly better engine suited for daily use. I owned two 325s, a ‘87 325is that the original owner was a childhood friend. The second was a gray market ‘85 325i from Belgium which had a higher compression ratio M20, no sound deadening and thinner glass. I personally cannot comprehend the obsession some individuals have with the E30 M3 other than its significant racing history. It is not an enjoyable car to drive around town. IT… SUCKS! Fine for a track, but who the hell is going to do that anymore given their current values? Furthermore, in my youth I did not really care for the E30 M3 cosmetics. I much preferred the wolf in sheep‘s clothing of the E28 M5 and E24 M6. It was not until my late 20s to early 30s that I began to appreciate the E30 M3’s cosmetics, how the S14 came about, and its racing heritage. I still do to this day… Nevertheless, the pedestal that it was placed on is extremely high and I feel if you take away the race history it is somewhat undeserving.

Edit: Just a reminder, but the take rate on the E30 M3 was pretty shitty in comparison to a 325is and the MSRP allegedly had little to with it (difference of $6-7k). After E30 production ceased dealers still had E30 M3s sitting around, some up to two years and were forced to unload at significant discounts. Furthermore, lackluster E30 M3 sales were a large part as to why the U.S. market was not going to get the E36 M3 until the BMW CCA heavily lobbied for it.

Last edited by SCA; 03-24-2022 at 01:44 PM.
Old 03-24-2022, 01:54 PM   #519
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
New it what way? It was not groundbreaking.

The S14 was and still is total crap for daily driving. Absolutely Horrible! The M20 in the 325is was a vastly better engine suited for daily use. I owned two 325s, a ‘87 325is that the original owner was a childhood friend. The second was a gray market ‘85 325i from Belgium which had a higher compression ratio M20, no sound deadening and thinner glass. I personally cannot comprehend the obsession some individuals have with the E30 M3 other than its significant racing history. It is not an enjoyable car to drive around town. IT… SUCKS! Fine for a track, but who the hell is going to do that anymore given their current values? Furthermore, in my youth I did not really care for the E30 M3 cosmetics. I much preferred the wolf in sheep‘s clothing of the E28 M5 and E24 M6. It was not until my late 20s to early 30s that I began to appreciate the E30 M3’s cosmetics, how the S14 came about, and its racing heritage. I still do to this day… Nevertheless, the pedestal that it was placed on is extremely high and I feel if you take away the race history it is somewhat undeserving.

Edit: Just a reminder, but the take rate on the E30 M3 was pretty shitty in comparison to a 325is and the MSRP allegedly had little to with it (difference of $6-7k). After E30 production ceased dealers still had E30 M3s sitting around, some up to two years and were forced to unload at significant discounts. Furthermore, lackluster E30 M3 sales were a large part as to why the U.S. market was not going to get the E36 M3 until the BMW CCA heavily lobbied for it.
I don't even understand what you're arguing about.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 03-24-2022, 03:14 PM   #520
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
I don't even understand what you're arguing about.
Not arguing… as that would be truly pointless. Simply stating factual information. You stated that the E30 M3 is what is not because of its cosmetics. The same very well might be said for the G87 M2? A total unknown…

I think we are all judging a book by its cover in regards to the G87. I am not pleased with some of the exterior design language as most of us feel towards anything currently within the BMW product line. I am all but certain it will perform pretty phenomenal once it is released. It should given the amount of time it has been in development as it certainly has not been fast tracked as most of the current M models were. FYI, by the time it is released they will have been testing it for 3+ years. I grant you there is a significant reason as to why. The last hurrah for full M ICE on top of it being the 50th anniversary of M.