carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 05-30-2017, 09:08 PM   #51
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
You guys are nuts. The tint and clears look great.

And I'm generally not a fan of clears.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 09:48 PM   #52
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
I like the tint, the clears and the blacked out kidneys.

I'm still toying with the idea of selling @41400 miles. Just went on BaT, so many auctions going on at the same time. I don't think it's a great time to be a seller. When there are a thousand unicorns out there, are they still unicorns, even if different from each other?
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 09:53 PM   #53
blee
Doctor Mudgeon

The clears are definitely OE. I do like them, although the corners look sort of aftermarket despite being OE. I think it's because they're so much...erm, whiter, or something, compared to the headlight assemblies.

The car came to me with tint, and while I'm perfectly okay with its extralegal darkness, there is a bit of a bubble towards the top of the left window. I may try to smooth it out myself; replacement is always an option, but I'm terrified that the rear defogger lines will run away with the old tint.

I've thought quite a bit (probably too much) about the black/body colored bits on the car -- the kdineys, the fender grilles, the reflectors. I don't know whether the car is getting old enough that it should be put back to its showroom state, or if it looks better this way.

I made some low profile wooden ramps a few weeks ago, and today I rolled the car onto them after a slight modification to keep them from squirting out from under the tires. It's time to tackle the rod bearings and front control arms. (I was going to wait another week or so, but I'm taking the truck to work tomorrow, and it's supposed to rain anyway, so...)
blee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 09:57 PM   #54
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3 View Post
Clears are OE on the M3, period. And tint is more comfortable and good for the interior.
Nick is correct on all accounts.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 09:58 PM   #55
blee
Doctor Mudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
I like the tint, the clears and the blacked out kidneys.

I'm still toying with the idea of selling @41400 miles. Just went on BaT, so many auctions going on at the same time. I don't think it's a great time to be a seller. When there are a thousand unicorns out there, are they still unicorns, even if different from each other?
The market is definitely tight on 6MT coupes. Low miles and unicorn configurations will get noticed. Of course, you could try to wait a few more years and see if they start to appreciate. I all but guarantee they won't depreciate any further, unless you have subframe cracks or bodywork.
blee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 10:23 PM   #56
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
When there are a thousand unicorns out there, are they still unicorns, even if different from each other?
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 10:27 PM   #57
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Quote:
When there are a thousand unicorns out there, are they still unicorns, even if different from each other?

No, I think then they're narwhals.
Old 05-30-2017, 11:46 PM   #58
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee View Post
The market is definitely tight on 6MT coupes. Low miles and unicorn configurations will get noticed. Of course, you could try to wait a few more years and see if they start to appreciate. I all but guarantee they won't depreciate any further, unless you have subframe cracks or bodywork.

Must resist urge to go shopping for an M3...
Old 05-31-2017, 12:34 AM   #59
Nick M3
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee View Post
The clears are definitely OE. I do like them, although the corners look sort of aftermarket despite being OE. I think it's because they're so much...erm, whiter, or something, compared to the headlight assemblies.

The car came to me with tint, and while I'm perfectly okay with its extralegal darkness, there is a bit of a bubble towards the top of the left window. I may try to smooth it out myself; replacement is always an option, but I'm terrified that the rear defogger lines will run away with the old tint.

I've thought quite a bit (probably too much) about the black/body colored bits on the car -- the kdineys, the fender grilles, the reflectors. I don't know whether the car is getting old enough that it should be put back to its showroom state, or if it looks better this way.

I made some low profile wooden ramps a few weeks ago, and today I rolled the car onto them after a slight modification to keep them from squirting out from under the tires. It's time to tackle the rod bearings and front control arms. (I was going to wait another week or so, but I'm taking the truck to work tomorrow, and it's supposed to rain anyway, so...)
How many miles do the bearings have?

And no, the blacked out stuff does not look better.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 06:59 AM   #60
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
yeah, I'd probably swap out the black bits, except maybe the bumper plugs. The corners don't look right because no "egg yolk".
bren is offline   Reply With Quote