carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Keepin' it local

Old 04-26-2012, 11:23 AM   #1
Biggins
Crotchety

Carmudgeonly Ride: 22 Tiguan, 11 328i
Baltimore - FRS Test Drive Event

If anyone in the area wants to test drive the Scion FRS, there is a Scion event at M&T Bank Stadium on May 5th offering free test drives. At least I'll know a little about the car before mine arrives. Link below, but it appears the slots are filling quickly.

http://www.eventbrite.com/event/3405029535
Biggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 03:28 PM   #2
Biggins
Crotchety

Carmudgeonly Ride: 22 Tiguan, 11 328i
Just drove it!

I just got back from test driving (supertight course autocrossing) the FRS. They blocked the ability to turn off traction control and only had automatics for test drives. I only got two "runs" at the course, but I made them extra spirited and terrified the random passenger I had.

After all the hype on this car, it is warranted... but with the limited time spent in the car and only on an autocross course, I'm not convinced it would make a great everyday car. The caveats are that all the cars had a TRD suspension, Enkei wheels, and Yokohama S-drive tires; none of these will be standard.

Even with the traction control on and a tight course, it was quite easy for me to get the rear end out. The early press reviews seem very accurate to me, but I'm concerned that there will be MANY totaled FR-Ses. It seemed almost too easy to make this car oversteer (with traction control on), and I'm unsure the American public can handle a car like this. The other thing I noticed was that it is not a tall car. Still, I cannot wait for my car to get here!

Below are a few photos I took. The Scion rep even confirmed in his presentation that the back seat is truly useless, but mentioned at least three times how four rims/tires will easily fit in the car with the seat folded down.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PTDC0003.JPG
Views:	1212
Size:	1.51 MB
ID:	7527  Click image for larger version

Name:	PTDC0004.JPG
Views:	1214
Size:	1.95 MB
ID:	7528  
Biggins is offline   Reply With Quote