carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 01-29-2024, 08:00 PM   #5671
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
https://youtu.be/Q8T4tq8Sc4Q?si=uvBqlPR4CF5q-Ppm

2 second summary: bubble is over and he thinks because financing is so expensive, now the cars are sitting because they’re suddenly a lot more expensive. Lots of upside down Turbo S owners. GT3 owners have to accept losing money too.

There have been several individuals on YouTube that have been stating this for several months now, “The sky is falling…” I take it with a grain of salt. The UK though is definitely seeing a change in new Porsche purchases.

From my understanding, at least locally, the vast majority of 992 purchasers at our dealer are paying via cash. The 911 and 718 market is unaffected here.

I spoke to our BMW client advisor and family friend today. He is retiring this Wednesday after 42 years with the company. He stated that economically Knoxville is in its own bubble that generally goes unaffected when there is an economic downturn within the country, including the last recession.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 12:41 PM   #5672
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Took advantage of what I thought was warmer weather to get some full temp oil flowing through the 911. Turns out it was only 37F out there and the top down approach wasn't my best idea. The wind deflector, heated seats and steering wheel helped, but I finally succumbed and put the top up when i was half way home.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20240130_114508.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	1.84 MB
ID:	17011  
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 12:47 PM   #5673
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
Took advantage of what I thought was warmer weather to get some full temp oil flowing through the 911. Turns out it was only 37F out there and the top down approach wasn't my best idea. The wind deflector, heated seats and steering wheel helped, but I finally succumbed and put the top up when i was half way home.
Looking good!

I really wish the 992 had normal door handles like the 991 or the 992 S/T.
Old 01-30-2024, 12:54 PM   #5674
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
You’re one of the reasons I’m ordering the Carrera S cabriolet!. Looking good there.

Re: door handles — so dumb

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 01:06 PM   #5675
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:
You’re one of the reasons I’m ordering the Carrera S cabriolet!. Looking good there.

Re: door handles — so dumb
The cab really is great. The 'hardtop' design makes it incredibly coupelike when the top is up, the auto wind-deflector / windows up makes it targa like when you don't want fully open and the full top down experience is rigid with good airflow management and visceral sounds.

Looking forward to hearing about your experience. Did you lock the Gentian / Heritage build in?
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 01:31 PM   #5676
lemming
Western Anomaly

Quote:
The cab really is great. The 'hardtop' design makes it incredibly coupelike when the top is up, the auto wind-deflector / windows up makes it targa like when you don't want fully open and the full top down experience is rigid with good airflow management and visceral sounds.

Looking forward to hearing about your experience. Did you lock the Gentian / Heritage build in?
Yes!

The more I see Gentian blue in person, the more I like it. I saw it on a GT3 and on a C4S (both 992s) yesterday. I like it. I had hoped for PTS, but whatever.

I won’t lie though, there’s elements of the 991 narrow body design that still speak to me. I’m still on the change curve for this 992 design. I know it will grow on me. I’m still not “there”, I’d say.

I think for prospective 992 buyers —I’d wait out the storm and see what happens with the 992.2 at this point. You’ll have plenty of CPO 992.1s to choose from and maybe the 992.2 will bring a more normal market for new cars?

Latest and greatest gadgets don’t move me, and I wanted to lock in the manual to have a bird in hand. If the 992.2 is the bee’s knees, then my Carrera S would be a wonderful driving car, but a short timer for me. We could, of course, be sitting here in a year and be disappointed in how hard it is to get a manual though.

I will say this —the GT3 is not for the faint of heart. And it’s like an Aussie Shepherd —always “ON” or it can be annoying.

Old 02-03-2024, 04:59 PM   #5677
SCA
Jaded

Earlier while at the marina checking on my boat. Got just over 100 miles now.

I arranged for a stage one paint correction and 10 mil Xpel PPF this morning. I think I am also going to add ExoShield or ClexPlex to the windshield too.

Edit: Clearly when the car came through port in Jacksonville they just ran it through an automatic car wash and I know they did at the dealership. I am slightly irritated about it, but it will get resolved.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7336.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	1.52 MB
ID:	17019  
Old 02-03-2024, 06:02 PM   #5678
lemming
Western Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
Earlier while at the marina checking on my boat. Got just over 100 miles now.

I arranged for a stage one paint correction and 10 mil Xpel PPF this morning. I think I am also going to add ExoShield or ClexPlex to the windshield too.

Edit: Clearly when the car came through port in Jacksonville they just ran it through an automatic car wash and I know they did at the dealership. I am slightly irritated about it, but it will get resolved.
Windshield protection seems wise in my experience. Went through two windshields on the 991 T. My 991 GT3 had a film and no cracks.

It’s surprising that factory paint requires protection isn’t it? But it’s true. And annoying.

Old 02-03-2024, 06:34 PM   #5679
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
There is such a thing as windshield protection? Is this an optically-clear Xpel?
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 08:03 PM   #5680
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
It’s surprising that factory paint requires protection isn’t it? But it’s true. And annoying.

Shark Blue appears to be a really soft paint. Probably not surprising given that it is a UNI paint?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
There is such a thing as windshield protection? Is this an optically-clear Xpel?
Yep and not really. ExoShield and ClearPlex appear to be the most often applied brands. My 997.2 arrived with ExoShield applied via the original owner.

Last edited by SCA; 02-04-2024 at 10:54 AM.