carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 09-05-2018, 03:27 PM   #161
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Macan will be more lux but much less fun to drive than a GTI. More like an s4 on stilts for the Macan S. The 4-cyl engine, might as well go with the a4 or gti. Did vw change the front diff? I have zero issues with the 2015 one, makes it among the best FWD cars I've driven. Apr chip helps too.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 03:30 PM   #162
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
..Did vw change the front diff? I have zero issues with the 2015 one, makes it among the best FWD cars I've driven. Apr chip helps too.

yeah according the video in the 7.2 or whatever the refreshed gen 7 is called.
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 03:33 PM   #163
equ
Alphanumeric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
yeah according the video in the 7.2 or whatever the refreshed gen 7 is called.
Will watch after work.

Old 09-24-2018, 12:05 PM   #164
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Test drove a couple of cars yesterday

Tesla Model 3 rwd long range battery:

Interior:
-A lot of room for the size. My wife and two boys seem to fit in the rear seat with plenty of room.
-Trunk was deep and large but had a small opening. Seats fold down which is great. Frunk is small but better then nothing.
-I was ok without the central speedo and looking at the center mounted scree instead. Good visibility out the front.

Driving wise:
-Very impressive for a "new" car company.
-Steering felt very good of a new car.
-I like the brake regen, got use to it quickly.
-handling was fine but did not throw that hard into the corners but was scaring the tesla copilot she kept saying I need the performance model.
-Acceleration felt good, nice and torquey and smooth for around town driving. When I actually did put the pedal to the floor there was not much there. Basically felt diesel like where the torque made if feel initially quick but ran out of the breath,

Overall:
Very cool car that would be great of majority of people. For me all the tech turns me off even though driving wise I liked it.

Porsche Macan S(used)
-PDK is amazing
-Handled well, more sporty hatchback then suv which I liked. Again did not drive it much in the corners.
-Steering was ok at times but too light at others. Basically killed if for me.

Overall:
Nice but not 50k nice enough.

##################

Wife is getting frustrated with me. Wants me to keep the turbo and get something else. I might just get a camry and keep the turbo for now.
Old 09-24-2018, 12:26 PM   #165
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post

Wife is getting frustrated with me. Wants me to keep the turbo and get something else. I might just get a camry and keep the turbo for now.
At least get an Accord or Mazda...
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 12:34 PM   #166
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
At least get an Accord or Mazda...
Yeah I would not buy one, we might potentially get my wife's grandmas camry who recently passed. Going to keep her license plate surround on, "Get out of my way, I am late for bingo"

############

probably post this in the 3 thread but is a good hitch for the 3?

https://torkliftcentral.com/x7373-2
Old 09-24-2018, 03:57 PM   #167
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Oh and the Tesla saleslady was telling me 4 week delivery from order from a 3? Do not need to be on the wait list.
Old 09-24-2018, 04:21 PM   #168
equ
Alphanumeric

In the last two weeks, I've driven a Macan S, twice. It is so much better than the JGC, it's not even funny. It's a lot better than the Cayenne as well. Steering felt fine to me, not Audi-like at all. Maybe power steering plus is giving you a speed effect. I did have some nitpics:

- used ones are too expensive. the folks who paid mid-50's msrp are selling them for 40+ three four years on. that tells you the real world value of the car.

- the engine is good but weak down low. very revvy. this means it's not quick enough when lazy. Sport mode is not enough . you have to "participate" by tapping PDK and being aware of your gear. there is a learning curve.

- mpg's suck, seem to get 17-18 combined on premium (22 highway). Range is acceptable with a 20 gallon tank.

- rear seat is compromised, but that is obvious. Non-black interiors and panoramic roof help claustrophobia. I can sit behind myself at 5'10" but only just. Think 3-series.

I still really like it, much more than I thought I would. The cabin, the feel, the porsche switchgear that I'm a fanboi of. I'm split between it and the Cayenne diesel (as a better handling replacement to my Jeep).

I might test the GTS and Turbo variants. We will see. The base 2.0 I drove for a short period. Not enough oomph, though due to the VW/Audi 2.0 torque curve it actually felt just as peppy as the S around town. The thirsty 6 sounds a lot better to my ears.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:22 AM   #169
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Macan something (S, GTS?) is what we will likely get when we are empty nesters. Unless BMW decides to import a proper engine + 3 series wagon or 5 series wagon. Perhaps...

My spouse is a total convert to Porsche. So, as long as finances hold out, she would be hard to sway back to a new BMW.

Point is moot though, as our fleet is practically brand new--and very satisfactory. If I had a fourth bay in the garage, I'd probably lobby for an N/A manual Boxster S. My knee can't take a stick full time, but might be able to tolerate it for a weekend jaunt here and there.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 10:21 AM   #170
equ
Alphanumeric

I'd prefer to have awd in the "regular" car as long as I keep a cayman or boxster as I plan to. The only bmw that could possibly work for me is a 340i xdrive 6-speed, and it'd have to have m-sport with the adaptive suspension (a must); really hard to find on the used market and $$$ regardless.

I haven't tried the 328i or the 328d wagons, I could see Cara liking them if she could go back to an automatic after not driving one for a decade as well as the wonky shift control and RFT's (she hates not having a spare). It would be a step down from her perf package GTI (boosted to about 290hp).

There are no other bmw models that hold interest. Maybe the M's or the 2-series, but those are all RWD and I have no plans of getting out of the porsche.

The Macan is a highly compelling car. I perused their forums and there are plenty of 335/m3/s4 etc transplants who can't find a car that they like. You get a "real" PDK and a decent chassis. I haven't made up my mind because 22mpg on a long trip is not acceptable to me (whether this is rational or not). I made up this 25mpg criterion back when I owned and then sold the s4 avant in 2007. Every car I've had since has abided, even the porsches and the e46 m3.

Q5 TDI is a way to get the engine I want in the size I want, but then will Audi have ruined the handling? I will have to drive. I really should have started a perseveration thread but have to see what's going on with the Jeep first.