carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 10-29-2018, 03:40 PM   #961
clyde
Chief title editor

Lots of loosey goosey language that doesn't really describe what's covered (and only a little about what's not), none of it addressing how replacement parts are chosen, pricing for those parts, allowable labor charges, or whether your shop of choice will ever take your business again after working with them. Among other things.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 05:03 PM   #962
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
how replacement parts are chosen
As if there is more than one option for Tesla parts?

Pretty sure if you break a windshield it's $1,600 at a tesla dealer. I wonder if Geico's and their free glass coverage realize that yet.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 05:06 PM   #963
rumatt
Mugwump

They keep rolling out more and more advanced shit... I finally got selected for this update...
Old 10-29-2018, 06:15 PM   #964
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post

Pretty sure if you break a windshield it's $1,600 at a tesla dealer. I wonder if Geico's and their free glass coverage realize that yet.
I doubt they do any predictive modeling. Just keep the good old last year's regressions and put some margins on top...
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 07:56 PM   #965
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
The Tesla naming convention thing is kind of silly, but part of it is that they are trying to move away from battery sizes as a model designator because they think their propulsion tech is better (read as more efficient) than their competitors. A 75Kwh Tesla might thus be the equivalent of a 90Kwh Jaguar.

It's also complicated by the fact that they can't use Model E, or have decided they can't, so the Model 3 lineup isn't consistent with the S or X.

It's also complicated by the fact that none of the Model 3s have any badging yet. There will eventually be a DUAL MOTOR badge for the trunk, and for the Performance cars it will be underlined, but as of now they all just have bare asses.

Anyway, now that all of the Performance cars are coming standard with the upgrade, it's less of an issue. It really should just be Model 3P, in shorthand, or P3D, I guess.
Did you see that the iPace was rated at only 234 miles (and has a 90kWh battery)?

Early Model S also did not receive badging from the factory. Mine was delivered with badges — I was in the first batch that had them. Older cars had the battery number added by service later in 2013...
Old 10-29-2018, 07:58 PM   #966
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post

Less than that. I had the S windshield replaced twice (rocks are rather prevalent in Arizona...). Both times covered by insurance, but I had Tesla do the work and submitted the claim. Was under $1k installed...
Old 10-29-2018, 08:15 PM   #967
JST

Keys are good. Non unlimited supercharging is less good. I guess I’ll ask for my 5K back?

Also it’s been a month and I still haven’t received any instructions on how to pay the loan on my car.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 12:26 AM   #968
rumatt
Mugwump

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Keys are good. Non unlimited supercharging is less good. I guess I’ll ask for my 5K back?
Did it always say that or did it just change? A lot of people were complaining their supercharging wasn't free but that they were promised it would be once they figured out how to make it happen, and you'd be reimbursed for any expenses.

I just have to sit and wait for these software updates, right? I got an email saying it's coming and to put my car on wifi... But it's there and plugged in for 7 hours and no updates. Maybe it's always in the middle of the night???
Old 10-30-2018, 12:32 AM   #969
rumatt
Mugwump

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
From what I can tell, all the massive options $5k for Enhanced Autopilot and the $5k for the Pilot 4S/brakes etc upgrade (which may become free) are actually material to your enjoyment of the car.
Brakes: No. What are brakes? I don't use them any more. I'm not even kidding.

Tires: Probably. I'm curious what this thing will be like on all-seasons, but who knows?

Lowered suspension: Unknown. No one has been able to confirm how different the suspensions actually are. If they're truly identical I don't know how much difference lowering 1cm actually makes (lower center of gravity, and a hair more negative camber.

20" wheels: Maybe. They're heavy and I suspect 19's would be OK. But maybe not?

But overall, the combination works together really well. There might be some suspension voo-doo in the mix as part of the secret sauce, I'm not sure. But it works.
Old 10-30-2018, 06:25 AM   #970
JST

I’m not sure. They changed the layout of the account page; I don’t remember seeing anything about supercharger status before.

I did supercharge the day after I got the car and didn’t get charged, afaik, so who knows?
JST is offline   Reply With Quote