carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 08-24-2018, 04:41 PM   #21
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by kognito View Post
I sure hope heated steering wheel technology has improved in the past 10 years. My A6 had it, and it failed within the first 9 months of ownership. The failure resulted in a burn mark on my left hand which still exists.

Audi would not replace my steering wheel Apparently the "technology" was a metal band around the wheel, under the leather wrap that failed.
Yikes! When was your A6 built?
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 05:29 PM   #22
Nick M3
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
That was a 2000s Audi issue. As far as I can tell, no one else had that problem.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 05:42 PM   #23
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3 View Post
That was a 2000s Audi issue. As far as I can tell, no one else had that problem.
I remember something about BMW 5 series burning people's bottoms as well.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 06:39 PM   #24
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
My 2013 LR4 has had no issues with the heated steering wheel in 5 years, and must say, I've not heard of such issues ever.
FC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 06:51 PM   #25
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
Quote:
I sure hope heated steering wheel technology has improved in the past 10 years. My A6 had it, and it failed within the first 9 months of ownership. The failure resulted in a burn mark on my left hand which still exists.

Audi would not replace my steering wheel Apparently the "technology" was a metal band around the wheel, under the leather wrap that failed.

I can’t believe they wouldn’t replace it - that seems pretty obvious, if it’s not working it needs to be replaced.
Old 08-24-2018, 08:15 PM   #26
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3 View Post
yeah, it was 1999 or 2000. leased it before ordering my 2001 E46xi

The BMW awd system sure was disappointing compared to the Audi
Old 08-25-2018, 05:40 AM   #27
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:

That’s crazy, yes I guess the technology has gotten better we have it in 2 of our Audi’s as well as the Porsche and bmw and there are no burning issues.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 04:04 AM   #28
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
Thanks! I am enjoying it quite a bit. Funny thing is that my new job involves ~7 miles of highway driving. I'm lucky that it's against traffic, but this open up two issues I never have to worry about before:

1) This car just loves to do triple digit speeds and when I hold it in the 70's even in 6th gear, it feels like it's ready to pounce and get to 100mph. Driving it for hundreds of miles in the Autobahn doesn't help. I really have to be careful with tickets. The section is also one of those 55mph zones that EVERY ONE goes 75mph and sometimes more. So cops can pretty much pull over anyone they want at any time for any reason. People do 70mph+ with impunity past speed traps. I'm afraid of one day "accidentally" doing 90 trying to get around someone doing 65 and getting a massive ticket. I know. That's dumb and I should just control my speed better.

2) I am FAR more exposed to chips from fast traffic in front. I'm torn about paying for a full front-end wrap or just letting it be.

Additional, unrelated comments:

A) WTF is up with the "Efficient Dynamics" suggested gear indicator nonsense? The car displays your current gear - a helpful thing, so I am OK with that. But it also shows in smaller font and in gray, what gear you ought to be in to be most efficient. This morning, I'm doing ~32mph in 3rd (which is about 2krpm) and the car was suggesting I go to 6th gear. That's right. 6th!

B) I found out how to skip a track. The roller on the right side of the steering wheel can move you through your play list and then you just push to select. This works great for itunes music in my phone, but not when using Spotify. I still need to RTFM.
I remember test driving 2 M4’s (the reviews are here on the board when I did) I will never forget how ridiculously fast AND fun they were .... yes watch your speed for sure that car can get to triple digits insanely fast.

My 911 has a upshift gear indicator and it always amazes me too how it wants you to upshift at such low speeds.

You also brought up the new idrive system ... I think they really did a beautiful job on it, the menus are nicer then they ever were and pretty futuristic .... also whenever I get into my sons car (the 340i) to move it in the driveway I love the noises the car makes when you first start it. .... that cool beeping electronical noise is really soothing.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 12:29 AM   #29
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
I've only put a few dozen miles in the US, but add the 1400+ miles I put in Europe and here is my review:

1) The Miata is more fun in a lot of respects. This is not dissimilar from when I had the TT and the MCS, where the latter was more fun at low speeds and around town.

2) That said, like the TT, this car is quite fast (not TT-fast, but 90% as fast), with the obvious benefit of seating 5 adults, far newer technology and comfort (easier to get in and out), large trunk, etc. The similarities with the TT at 90% are many: too fast but also offers opportunity for giggles, it's an event to drive it (sounds, looks, interior, ego/douche factor, etc.), feeling fortunate/guilty for having it. It's a lot of money spent on a want. At least the latter is massively countered with the tremendous practicality, which the TT lacked.

3) Auto rev-match: It's a love/hate thing. I thought it would be all hate, but it is really impeccably executed and you feel like a hero when it's enabled. It also ruins some of the fun and definitely throws me off when I go into manual mode.

4) The car sounds quite nice. Sure, maybe not E90-nice, but it sounds good and sporty. The ability to quiet it down or make it loud with a button is awesome. Haven't even noticed the fake sounds, so they are at least well-executed.

5) Yes, it's big and heavy-ish (remember, it's not much heavier than the TT), and there is some detachment there, but for what it is, it is remarkably agile and controlled and dare I say, fun. They must have worked some serious magic with the ZCP and 2018 MY changes because this car is great. There is a TON of grip and I've felt no reason to not push the car. It's been totally stable and confidence-inspiring. Like old BMW 3er's but with higher limits.

6) Easily the best clutch/shifter combo I've driven in a modern BMW (E46+), though the clutch is a bit light.

7) iDrive is great and the infotech UI is as well-executed as I've ever seen. Still not perfect. Also, I can't seem to find a way to skip a track from the steering wheel. I should probably RTFM at some point.

8) Those wheels are going to be a gigantic PITA to clean. Hopefully the black/grey-ness will buy me some time without looking totally gross.

9) I like my sunroof

10) The HUD is pretty awesome, though, other than during NAV use (puts turn-by-turn directions on HUD), I see no reason not to be on M-display mode (only mode that shows revs)

11) The sound system is strange. I feel like I need to be halfway up the volume dial to get remotely loud music. It's better in many ways as I feel I have more resolution at the low end, but I wonder if the upper end is not really that loud. I'll try it one day. Sound quality is good, not great.

12) I know it's new and clean, but I suspect my 14+ years without a ticket will come to an end with this attention-grabber of a car. The grey TT was surprisingly stealthy. Not this.
Congrats! Definitely want to drive an F80 M3 at some point. Agree that the latest i-drive is among the best in the business. First system i've used where voice control of navigation works well (and that includes Siri with Apple Maps). If i get another BMW, I really want HUD. They do a great job with those.
robg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 07:14 AM   #30
Biggins
Crotchety

Carmudgeonly Ride: 22 Tiguan, 11 328i
I'm glad to hear you're enjoying the new M3! More photos!?

I kept reading your post as Audi TT and not Porsche.
Biggins is offline   Reply With Quote