carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 05-14-2018, 04:12 PM   #1
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Random GT4 / Cayman R / 987 Spyder musings

EQU's comments about the GT4 in the Miata thread had me googling GT4 and how it compares to a Cayman R, since that's my only real point of reference. I found the following interesting comments by a guy who owns a GT4, Cayman R, and a 987 Spyder.

I can't figure out how to link to an individual post in the thread, so I'll quote some snippets from the post here with a link to the thread:
https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/...f=48&t=1651787
Quote:
So when it comes to what's best you just have to own all 3 :-), I cannot say I like one more than another.

The steering on any 981 cannot match the 987.

But again if you only want one car, and it to be nicer than a R inside a GTS is a ok and better daily.

PASM still sucks imo, even the race cars had to ditch PASM for a set of KW shocks.

If I had to only have ONE out of the 3 it would be the R, but owning all 3 the R would be the 1st one I would sell. (this is because the GT4 and 987.2 Spyder make the best combo)

So for road use the GT4 offers nothing over the R.

GT4 is very GT and is the track car of choice by a mile, so if you want to track a car more than say 3 times a year the GT4 is the right car and is a good daily, but a bit in your face with a big wing.

Have a great 52 page debate as imo they are very different cars, the R is the future 964 RS though.
Another dude with the opposite viewpoint

Quote:
I have driven a R and owned a 987 spyder for 4 years and now have gt4.
For me it's simple coupe the gt4 soft top 987 spyder!
IMHO and I know this will upset a few the CR although a very good car is no more than a caymanS plus and I see long term values just above cs the 987 spyder I see rising!

Last edited by rumatt; 05-14-2018 at 04:29 PM.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 04:19 PM   #2
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
For me the R is not the right balance of comfort, sound isolation, and handling for a daily driver. But I am starting to really appreciate it as a car that I own and drive occasionally just for fun. Particularly when I stay on decent roads.

It also seems perfect for the track. And kind of makes me want to take it there.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 04:32 PM   #3
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
For me the R is not the right balance of comfort, sound isolation, and handling for a daily driver. But I am starting to really appreciate it as a car that I own and drive occasionally just for fun. Particularly when I stay on decent roads.

It also seems perfect for the track. And kind of makes me want to take it there.
You might been happier with the more vanilla Cayman S.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 09:16 AM   #4
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
I haven't driven a Cayman R, or a 987 Spyder. Or a Cayman GT4. Or a 981.

Given that huge bank of knowledge, I'm glad I got the 987.2S. I really strongly considered the Spyder, but the lack of a real top scared me off. For how we've used this car, including a number of long weekend trips, I think the Spyder would have been an annoyance and I'm glad I didn't go for it.

I think now and then that I might be happier with a Cayman S, as the little convertible annoyances (squeaks and rattles mostly) do bother me. And more often than not, it's simply too hot and humid here for me to be comfortable driving with the top down. But in the spring and fall, it's really pretty nice having a convertible.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 09:20 AM   #5
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
My gt4 ownership and Cayman R almost-ownership are separated by 3 to 4 years.

For me - out of the box - the gt4 had too much power and grip to be fun on the street. And the grip - out of the box, without messing with tires and sways - was less even/neutral than a 987 CR or a 981S. This is due to the 295/245 widths (instead of the customary 265/235) and the special sauce high grip rear suspension (where on corner exit most 987/981 start giving up).

The tires MPSC2 were not fun on the street, exactly as Savage Geese describes in that and his performance tire video. That meant that on top $100k, I would have to fork over $$$ for a set of MPSS, either on original wheels or other wheels and on top of that store that set. Just not the car for me. I disagree with Savage Geese on the sound. It didn't sound bad, but the 3.8 in the mid-engine space did not create the symphony that the 3.4 creates nor 3.8 in the 997/991.

I haven't driven a Cayman R in/near NYC. My test drives were far flung. I found it firm but not harsh. I found the exhaust just right but it did not PSE 'on' or the option at all IMHO. The power level and tires are better for the street and the steering feel is better than any 981, including gt4. The 981's have better shifters and brakes. The 987 and thus CR cabin is smaller, simpler and a bit more retro. I'd still want one (ideally in peridot and definitely without the fixed buckets or PDK).
equ is offline   Reply With Quote