carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2020, 12:34 PM   #11
Nick M3
Relic
 
Nick M3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Bethesda, MD
Posts: 10,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan View Post
wrong blue.
Almost $40k for a GTI seems like a reason not to get the good blue.
__________________
2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
2002 BMW M3
1999 323i GTS2
1995 M3 S50B32, S6S420G, 3.91
1990 325is
1989 M3

Hers:
1988 325iX
1996 911 Turbo


Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 01:13 PM   #12
clyde
Chief title editor
 
clyde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 25,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
The 0% interest mitigates the risk of having had pulled the trigger a little too soon.
It kind of sounds like you are asking the group here to tell you do something now (consciously or not). If there might be some truth to it, why not just do it?
__________________
OH NOES!!!!!1 MY CAR HAS T3H UND3R5T33R5555!!!!!!1oneone!!!!11

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 01:31 PM   #13
Josh (PA)
Hello.
 
Josh (PA)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 S213
Location: Downingtown, PA
Posts: 4,237
If you got rid of the Miata and got this, would the next shoe be to get rid of the m3 and get a boxster?

Have you looked at the trade in value on the Miata? Might be worth it for the tax savings on the new GTI + ease of total transaction / not dealing with private sale headaches.
__________________
Josh (PA) -
`19 E450 Wagon
'17 991.2 C2 Cab
'11 135i Convertible
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 02:24 PM   #14
FC
Solving problems
 
FC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: '21 GTI, '18 M3 ZCP, '13 LR4, '11 Miata
Location: Metro Boston
Posts: 23,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
If you got rid of the Miata and got this, would the next shoe be to get rid of the m3 and get a boxster?

Quote:
Have you looked at the trade in value on the Miata? Might be worth it for the tax savings on the new GTI + ease of total transaction / not dealing with private sale headaches.
Not sure if the M3 stays or goes. I really like it. We'll see.

As far as trading the Miata, I'll look into it, but I suspect it will not be worth it.
FC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 02:25 PM   #15
FC
Solving problems
 
FC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: '21 GTI, '18 M3 ZCP, '13 LR4, '11 Miata
Location: Metro Boston
Posts: 23,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
It kind of sounds like you are asking the group here to tell you do something now (consciously or not). If there might be some truth to it, why not just do it?
Not really. I would actually prefer to sell the Miata in the middle of summer and wait until then to get a GTI.
FC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 03:33 PM   #16
JST
195
 
JST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 22,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
Not really. I would actually prefer to sell the Miata in the middle of summer and wait until then to get a GTI.
That's perfectly reasonable. There will probably still be some Mk 7 stock then, though my guess is that at some point they'll stop building them to do the factory changeover in Mexico. I don't think deals will be wildly worse then, but 0 pct financing might not still be available.

It really comes down to whether you want to do another winter in the Miata, or whether you'd prefer to drive the VW in the snow. Given the no cost financing, I'd probably pull the trigger now, but YMMV.
JST is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 03:42 PM   #17
FC
Solving problems
 
FC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: '21 GTI, '18 M3 ZCP, '13 LR4, '11 Miata
Location: Metro Boston
Posts: 23,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
That's perfectly reasonable. There will probably still be some Mk 7 stock then, though my guess is that at some point they'll stop building them to do the factory changeover in Mexico. I don't think deals will be wildly worse then, but 0 pct financing might not still be available.

It really comes down to whether you want to do another winter in the Miata, or whether you'd prefer to drive the VW in the snow. Given the no cost financing, I'd probably pull the trigger now, but YMMV.
Right. I normally would have waited at least 3 more months before waffling in earnest, but this deal is making me wonder if I should act. It's not as if the Miata hanging around as a 4th car is an expensive proposition if it takes until spring to sell.
FC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 03:56 PM   #18
JST
195
 
JST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 22,280
So, one thought if you're going to wait is maybe reserve an ID.4? No idea when delivery will happen but the terms are posted on the VW website and they look intriguing.

https://www.vw.com/en/models/id-4.html


But if you're going to get a GTI, I'd get this one. The leather and sunroof are nice but not worth 4 grand, and I've got a soft spot for white GTIs.

https://www.sheehyspringfieldvw.com/...va-id-39937380

Though the Mk 7 still isn't as cool looking as the Mark 2.

https://www.curbsideclassic.com/cars...ittle-asphalt/

JST is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 04:29 PM   #19
FC
Solving problems
 
FC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: '21 GTI, '18 M3 ZCP, '13 LR4, '11 Miata
Location: Metro Boston
Posts: 23,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
So, one thought if you're going to wait is maybe reserve an ID.4? No idea when delivery will happen but the terms are posted on the VW website and they look intriguing.

https://www.vw.com/en/models/id-4.html
The hell is that? Must read about it.

Quote:
But if you're going to get a GTI, I'd get this one. The leather and sunroof are nice but not worth 4 grand, and I've got a soft spot for white GTIs.

https://www.sheehyspringfieldvw.com/...va-id-39937380
Wife loves white VW's so that is likely to happen. I dunno about cloth, man. I mean, I personally would love it. But we have a dog and kids who play soccer and basketball. That and my wife will invariably want this to nominally be "her" car, so I have to let her pick that stuff. I'm happy enough that she allows it to be a MT.

Also, while I could care less about the roof on this car, I do like the LED headlamps. But yeah, that's huge savings and tempting.
FC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 04:32 PM   #20
FC
Solving problems
 
FC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Carmudgeonly Ride: '21 GTI, '18 M3 ZCP, '13 LR4, '11 Miata
Location: Metro Boston
Posts: 23,167
OK, I read more about the ID.4. I'm gonna say no. I drive >40 miles of hwy a day and thanks to COVID those are >75mph miles. I don't think that use case is EV-friendly.
FC is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Car thread or Florida thread? Cougar to Veyron conversion FC Car Talk 2 09-13-2019 12:31 PM
E65 waffle Mathew Perseverators Anonymous 29 10-01-2005 02:04 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Forums 2003-2008, 'Mudgeon Enterprises - Site hosting by AYN & Associates, LLC